“One of a Kind”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Earlton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Since 1989,DAMON BAEHREL has worked completely alone at his home, which is where his small, handbuilt, 20 seat restaurant & 12 acre property/farm, that is the only source of ingredients for his original NATIVE HARVEST CUISINE, is located. Having no suppliers, Damon also creates all of the flours, fresh pressed oils, cheeses, pineneedle cured meats and vinegars from cultivated & native ingredients found on the property. Formally known as Damon Baehrel at The Basement Bistro, the restaurant has become a destination for food enthusiasts from around the world, often waiting years for their reservation, excited to take in the 4-5 hour Native Harvest experience.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

It's actually hard to compare this dining experience to anything else. Chef Baehrel just does everything differently, from foraging his own food to cooking on stone so as not to impart a metallic taste to any of his dishes. Our meal was extraordinary: 20 courses served over the course of five and a half hours. You will experience food that you will never had tasted before and will not taste again. From the way he grows and forages to the manner in which he prepares and presents, Chef Baehrel is truly in a class by himself. As he describes how he pulled some moss off a log and gently shook off some dust from the underside, you know that you are eating food that is "sui generis," completely in its own category. We were fortunate to get a last-minute booking for our 25th anniversary and it was a night that we will never forget. It truly made our 25th memorable.

5  Thank Dean G
There are newer reviews for DAMON BAEHREL

Reviewed August 2, 2013

From the moment you walk into Damon's home you know you have stepped into another world. I traveled 1000 miles for this meal and would do it again in a heartbeat. As many reviewers have written, you can dine all over the world and not find a place that even comes close to this. Damon is a wizard and his joy is to sprinkle happiness wherever he goes. The day I was there he had three sittings, and each is over four hours so you can only imagine that a human being would have been exhausted, but not an angelic food wizard!

Damon knows how to make even the most mundane foods into both works of art and culinary delights. We had twenty courses and you leave full, but not stuffed-- another miracle.

It would be worth waiting ten years for this experience, but Terrance who takes care of the bookings has some magic up his sleeve as well, and works miracles with accomodating Damon's guests.

If you go, I promise you will not be disappointed. Damon exceeded every one of my expectations and I have been fortunate to have dined all voer the globe.

5  Thank MaeMoon1
Reviewed July 31, 2013

An incredible dining experience. We were between seating's, it was just the four of us and the chef for almost five hours. Each dish was as good or better than the one before. To have him explain with such enthusiasm how he prepares each dish from ingredients harvested from his own land made the dining experience even better. We had twenty plates paired with excellent wine served by the chef, waiter and forager all in one. A truly wonderful dining experience.

3  Thank Ed N
Reviewed March 7, 2013

as other reviewers note, the man is pure genius. 17 courses, with everything harvested from his 12 acres. sycamore sap, duck prosciutto, pine needles for salting meats, rutabaga purée and starch used as thickeners. acorn flour, bark made into a crispy cake. 5 and a half hours, it went by really fast. each course is presented beautifully with Damon serving as forager, prep chef, sous chef and executive chef, not to mention wine steward and waiter. it was the most expensive meal we've ever eaten, but worth it. thanks to our friends for inviting us, and we look forward to going back again.

8  Thank laurelsweeney
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We waited for two and a half years. I'd forget about it for long bouts and then I'd think about it for some reason, and wonder if my name was still on the list. I got a call about a year ago asking if we could come the next Wednesday. We live in Brooklyn and only go up to the Catskills on the weekends so I said I unfortunately could not do it. And then, the call came that changed my food life... my husband and I and our two neighbors were invited last Saturday. A special seating was arranged for us, and just us. We had SEVENTEEN course, each one more delicious than the last. The water was actually sycamore sap - it was to die for. Seriously, water. There was no one bit of food that we didn't all eat to its completion, often in stunned, impressed silence. Despite the price tag being higher than any of us has ever seen in a restaurant, we all agreed it was a complete bargain given our experience. Needless to say, we're going back again... though it might not be until 2036 given the popularity of this place.

6  Thank Wylie K