“Still truckin'”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Earlton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Since 1989,DAMON BAEHREL has worked completely alone at his home, which is where his small, handbuilt, 20 seat restaurant & 12 acre property/farm, that is the only source of ingredients for his original NATIVE HARVEST CUISINE, is located. Having no suppliers, Damon also creates all of the flours, fresh pressed oils, cheeses, pineneedle cured meats and vinegars from cultivated & native ingredients found on the property. Formally known as Damon Baehrel at The Basement Bistro, the restaurant has become a destination for food enthusiasts from around the world, often waiting years for their reservation, excited to take in the 4-5 hour Native Harvest experience.
Reviewed November 30, 2012

T've been to the Basement Bistro three times in the past four years and every time I go I bring a different group of people who I have pumped up so much with anticipation that I fear they will be disappointed. Never happens. The reality exceeds even my memory of it from the previous visit and the most skeptical foodies I've brought are invariably blown away by the entire experience.

Rather than duplicate the ecstatic remarks others have said here, I'll simply say that if Chef Damon presented the food via robot or did his presentation without serving any food at all, the experience would have been extraordinary. Put together, it is easily the most memorable culinary experience of my pretty long life, during which i've gone to the best of NY and Paris, and ranks pretty high if we eliminate "culinary."

On a more mundane, but still amazing (to me) note, having been there twice before and not in two years, and not being a celebrity, I was astounded that Damon not only recognized me this time(and none of my companions, who had never been there, so I know it's not an act). But, beyond that, he also rememberd the obscure town on the other side of the river I spend summers at, where I sat last, and my wine preference as being red.

6  Thank okapi60763

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Read the other reviews on him, they are 100% the same and accurate. This is truly a unique dinning experience you are unlikely to experience anywhere else.
Having dinned all over the world I can say I have never had such a wonderful different meal. I would describe it as Heston Blumenthal becomes a mountain man living among nature, cooking with what is there. A technical, inventive, self taught artist.
I could write much more but it would just be repeating most of the other reviews.

Great experience for friends, groups, families with children over age 15.

6  Thank wiskeycharlie
Reviewed August 20, 2012

we've been here twice. it's a special thing my family does together. it is memorable and delicious. it's different than any restaurant you've ever been to. you'll eat things you didn't know were food and will be shocked by the freshness of the tastes and the inventiveness of it all. damon's a wonder. make time to eat here before he moves on to other things. genius. be sure to tell them when you're making the reservation if there are things you can't eat -- there's no ordering, the meal just happens.

5  Thank travelita
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This was the most expensive meal I have ever had but worth every penny and more. Fifteen courses of the highest quality food, the most delicious food, the most interesting food i have ever had. The preparation was so unique that there is no place on the planet that you could ever find food like this.

5  Thank Dawn A
Reviewed July 26, 2012

i read the last few reviews by john d and pam s and aroe. they all said it well. we have been to many of the best restaurants in italy and france and canada and usa.
i have been to each of italy and france more than 50 times.
damon is #1.
anyone that has any interest in an amazing experience with an amazing natural harvest influence with the most delicious tastes possible prepared by one super special guy should try to have a meal with damon who might be the best chef ever. beyond any doubt, he is the most creative.
my wife who is a vegetarian was blown away as were rest of us.

7  Thank joel s