“Alaskan Crab Legs!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Closed for Mud Season. Will reopen 05/26/2017
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Charming old train station, converted to restaurant. Delicious food, nice atmosphere. Take a step back into yesteryear and enjoy excellent food, service, wines and full bar.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Big moose lake is a bit off the beaten path and the road to the restaurant is long from Route 28, but by the time we got to Big Moose Station we were ready for a stop. The railroad is being brought back from ruin and promises to be a nice scenic tour and the restaurant is a natural stopping point because of the building's history. It has the atmosphere of a local joint and our dining spot, in the closed-in porch facing the tracks, felt worn and temporary. I had Chicken Marsala and my husband ordered Weiner Schnitzel, and we both felt that our meals were all right but nothing special. We felt the prices were a bit high for the quality of the food. The place has potential and may be worth a return trip in a couple of years.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

As a Philadelphian, I am always on the lookout for a good cheesesteak when I am away from the Delaware valley. This place makes quite a good one. I believe that the true secret to a great cheesesteak is the roll; the Big Moose Station imports Amoroso rolls from Philly and while not always day-fresh, they make it possible to serve a really good cheesesteak. I look forward to the the day when the Adirondack Railway from Thendara will stop at the station. This would be a great outing!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

This restaurant is located in an old train depot next to the railroad tracks, but I think the only ones using those tracks at the moment are the local bear.... Tucked away in what once once a booming logging town, the little restaurant is like a haven off the beaten path. The menu was typical and standard for the ADK's. The food was average to very good and the prices were not too high and not too low. I wanted to order the special, which was prime rib but it wasn't available the way I like it, (which is med rare) so I ordered a steak instead. The waitress was courteous and attentive. The location is very peaceful and quiet and the evening sky was beautiful. I had hoped to see some of the local bear from our table by the window, I had heard that one had made an appearance the night before by walking right up the middle of the tracks. Sadly, he decided at the last minute he had another engagement and stood me up. Maybe I will be lucky the next time... I would return again for sure!

Reviewed February 23, 2012

cute cool little place good to stop for a cocktail or hot chocolate while out on trails