“Lovely lakeside inn”
Review of Big Moose Inn

Big Moose Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Eagle Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We spent three nights, two full days at Big Moose Inn. The rustic charm of the inn and the beauty of the lake made this a perfect place for us to enjoy the Adirondacks. Our room was comfortable and clean. The owners are very friendly and eager to help. We enjoyed the restaurant and the extensive wines available. The crispy duck was excellent as were the steaks and prime rib. There are kayaks and canoes to enjoy on the lake, or you can sit on the porch with a cold Saranac lager and a good book. Lots of hiking trails in the area. A 45 minute drive to Blue Mountain to visit the Adirondack Museum is a good way to spend a half a day.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 21, 2010

Looking for peaceful, beautiful scenery, great food and rustic surroundings, then this is the place. Hard working owners Mark and Susan Mayer have a dream and they are fulfilling it for us and themselves. We no sooner got our luggage to the room then we spent the first hour just relaxing on the porch rockers. If Adirondack is what your looking for then this is it. Everywhere you look it's tradional furniture and decor. There are several docks for your convenience to park your boat or take a swim. There is a well stocked bar for your before or after dinner drink with tables for casual dining. The dining room is a pleasant, good sized room with servers that live up to or beyond expectations. We each had the petite 6oz. filet mignons and were exceptionally satisfied. Our apple crisp dessert was to die for.
Our evening was quite and relaxing with a gentle breeze blowing through our room. A good nights sleep was had by all. The morning arrived with a burned off fog and a continental breakfast. Mrs. G and I then spent some time taking pictures and enjoying the view of the lake from the dock.
We thank Mark and Susan for a great time and wish them much success with their new venture!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2010

Recently traveled up to Eagle Bay for a visit and chose to stay at the Big Moose Inn. The new owners have done a terrific job sprucing up the place. The rooms are wonderful and clean. The service here is fantastic...........as is the food!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2010

What a horrible stay. My Son and I spent one night here. We were looking for a walk back in time it had been about 20 years since my last visit we arrived on Saturdaynight looking for great food and a nice room what we got was food poisoning and an unclean bathroom shower I have never been so sick my son tasted the crab and said it was off I had a few bites of my meal and that was all I could handle. After a horrible night on the squeekiest beds we have ever slept in when checking out I told the owner about my horrible night she who was to busy on the computer to even look at me and said thanks for the info its good to know. What no sorry no let me give you your money back for your dinner nothing she was very rude and we have now taken them off our August and September visit list of both places to stay and places to eat. I have told everyone I know who viists the area to stay away!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank twobells123
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Outstanding Adirondack Inn with a lot of character. Great place for snowmobiling! The staff is very helpful and friendly and the food in the restaurant is outstanding from burgers and beer in the bar to wine and gourmet dinners in the restaurant. I will be back!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Well this was my first time in the Adirondacks and I hit a home run when it comes to picking out accommodations. The Big Moose Inn is on a beautiful part of the lake, the people who work there are great and most of the guests I met had been going there for years. The location is perfect because you can easily do day trips to all of the sites, including Sagamore, Old Forge, Raquette Lake, the Adirondack Museum, Stillwater, etc. The best part is the dinners. If you want some of the best food ever, and I'm comparing this to great restaurants in San Francisco, Chicago, and New York, you will want to eat here. From the Roasted Duckling to the Veal Osso Buco, everything was presented perfectly and tasted delicious. I would give the hotel, staff, and chef all 5 stars. I’m returning next year for sure.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We have stayed at the Big Moose Inn almost every year for fifteen years, and have always enjoyed the ambience. This is an old inn with rustic character, and a beautiful setting on Big Moose Lake. There is a large porch with rockers for afternoon cocktails or to sip your morning coffee. Canoes, kayaks, and a paddle boat are available for free and there are lots of nearby hiking trails. A generous continental breakfast is included. This time, we stayed in one of their lower priced rooms as the price of the larger rooms has continued to climb. We have stayed in the small rooms before, and knew what we were getting into. However, the weeknight price of $89 for a tiny room, with a double bed and detached bath has finally exceeded the value. These rooms are in need of updating, with better lighting and window shades, and new sinks. The atmosphere of the Inn has changed a bit, with t-shirts and sweatshirts for sale in the lobby. We love the Big Moose Inn and want to continue to be regulars but do question whether it is worth the price at this point.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Adirondack Lodge Old Forge
Adirondack Lodge Old Forge
#11 of 12 in Old Forge
Pine Knoll Lodge & Cabins Inc

Been to Big Moose Inn? Share your experiences!