“Beautiful Lake Setting!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Eagle Bay B&B and Inns
Rochester, New York
“Beautiful Lake Setting!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I just returned from spending the weekend at the Big Moose Inn. It is beautifully located on Big Moose Lake, with easy access for kayaking, swimming, or boating. The food was delicious, and the restaurant staff were all very friendly. Now for the not so good...the Inn itself is "worn", not rustic. We stayed in room 15 , and definitely would not recommend it. It was outdated, hot, and very noisy! Some of the other rooms did appear to be in better condition. We also were disappointed that the continental breakfast was only available starting at 8 am, and very limited; lacking any fresh fruit! Overall, we enjoyed ourselves , and would return, with upgrading to a King room.

Room Tip: King Rooms were nicest!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Skfrn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Hebrew first
Auburn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was the perfect place to visit with family and friends! We wanted to bring our friends traveling from Germany to the Adirondacks to enjoy some of the natural beauty the United States has to offer. We are so happy that we chose Big Moose! The owners of the Inn are friendly, accommodating, offering above and beyond service!! Each morning started out with a lovely continental breakfast on the porch. We enjoyed the use of canoes and kayaks,(included in our stay) and hiking at its finest. Dinner at the Big Moose Inn was fabulous! Please read restaurant reviews, the food is truly delicious...a pleaser for everyone! We enjoyed evening views from the porch and camp fires in front of the Big Moose Lake under starry skies. We even had the pleasure one evening of a Scottish bag pipe player playing " Amazing Grace" under the moon lit sky. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and plan to return some day!

Room Tip: Simple, comfortable rooms with a gorgeous view in room 19! We had 10 people in our party and stayed...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lockport, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went for the weekend to relax. We did exactly that! We ate in the bar area of the hotel, and the food was wonderful. The inkeepers were very helpful, and we very much enjoyed sitting on the wonderful porch, looking at the lake, and watching the hummingbirds!

Room Tip: definately get a lake view!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
North Augusta, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Inn itself was dated. (Carpet everywhere) The room was extremely small but had a great view. It only had one chair in the room which had pet hair on it from a past guest. The television was small (14” or less). Our room was extremely warm at night, I believe the central air unit was shut off at night (note: the temperature during the day was hot and humid outside 95 Fahrenheit) I inquired about this to the owner and she was to look into it and I asked if the air could be on for our second nights’ stay. Nothing changed the next night I woke up sweating and opened the window allowing humid air in (no fan, 2 sleep deprived nights). Stand up shower in the bathroom, water flow stopped 5 times during morning shower. Put the “DO NOT DISTURB” sign on the door knob while we went for breakfast leaving my wife’s purse in the room just to return to the room made up.
We ate at the on- site Tavern 2 evenings, the staff were very friendly and the meals were very good. As for breakfast it was a below average continental (certainly not what we expected). Use of kayaks and canoes was great feature. Thankful we had a travel zoo voucher and didn’t pay full price!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sharpie_926
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have stayed at The Big Moose Inn in the early part of June.
Learned about the Big Moose Inn because of a deal on Groupon and decided to buy it for 4 nights.
I've never been to the Adirondacks before and I am a huge outdoor guy. I live and work in the hospitality industry in NYC ; this was the perfect occasion to explore the beautiful north country outdoors

Big moose Inn is fantastically located in a very rough and natural part of the Adirondacks, but close enough to more active towns as Inlet and Old Forge ( 25 mins drive ).

My main goal was outdoor activities and complete retreat from the urban world and Big Moose Inn completely satisfied my goals.
From the location to the help and service from the owner my whole trip was a complete success.

Big Moose is a fantastic lake for recreations, especially fishing and kayaking ( I rented out a 15 HP boat right next to the Inn at the Marina for $100 a day, where the owner and the guys working there were fantastic in helping me ).
I drove to near by famous hiking trail such as Bald Mountain trail. Priceless.
I drove very easily to other great lakes destination such as Stillwater Reservoir or Fulton Chain Lakes.
I brought with me my telescope as well since the Inn is perfectly located in the less light polluted area of NY State and the owner Mark was amazing enough to shut down ALL the lights on the property to maximize the visibility of the sky.
Not only this but Mark, and the rest of the staff, were extremely friendly and helpful by answering all my continuous questions and suggesting great tips for the surrounding areas.

The Restaurant at the Inn is fantastic, great food and attentive "NYC" service. Didn't expect that.
Housekeeping does a great job as well!

The Inn is very old, goes back 100 years, but it's obvious that the actual owners do their best to keep up with the upgrades.

The room was spacious,clean and comfortable, with a fantastic view of the lake.

The only negative points I found in my stay were related to structural issues ( due to the age of the Inn mainly ):
The room walls are very thin, so no soundproof.
I like to sleep in complete darkness and the window blinders didn't get the job done.
The bed was just a bit too hard for me and the pillows to thin.

Overall my experience has been WONDERFUL! just a wonderful relaxing place, I was able to enjoy at full even if the weather wasn't nice .

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Englishtown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Living in New Jersey and working & travelling to New York City every day I really needed some R & R. Normally we fly out to an Island, this year we decided that we wanted to visit the Adirondacks, which for some reason I never thought of doing before as a vacation. Mike & I were pleasantly surprise as to how much we enjoyed our trip to Eagle Bay, NY. Staying at the Big Moose Inn was perfect, what an enchanting place to stay, the Big Moose Lake was amazing. Mark & Susan were perfect host, they were engaging without being intrusive. They were there when you needed them but not watching over you. Even though the Inn is a bit old they kept it clean and it made you feel like you were visiting family. The staff were kind and accommodating and they made you feel welcomed and we met other guest who were friendly and engaging. I had a bit of a scare when Mike decided to go canoeing and went too far out in the lake and the canoe overturned. I ran in screaming for help and was shocked to see how quickly Mark/Susan and the other guest responded. Mark flew out the Inn to get help from his neighbor. They were on the lake in minutes and rescued Mike from the lake. I'm am so grateful for their quick response as I had thought Mike went under and didn't come back up. I nearly had a heart attack, but Susan was there calming me down and assure me that everything would be find. We will definitely got back, we had not felt that relaxed and calm in years.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor which has A/C, room 17 had a spectacular view of the lake. But we would hav...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pleasant Valley, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I had the opportuntiy to spend a couple of days at The Big Moose Inn recently and it was a welcome break from our busy schedules. The drive on Route 28 through the Adirondacks was scenic, tons of lakes. We found the Inn to be charming, with fantastic hosts in Mark and his wife Susan. They were very hands on and great to chat with. Our room overlooked the lake and it didn't bother us that the floors creaked. We knew we were not staying on a high rise hotel and that was why we were there. We met new friends on the porch and had dinner together. Food and company was great. Jake at the bar made everyone feel at home. The two nights we were there in late May the bar was busy with a nice atmosphere. We look forward to going back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pine Knoll Lodge & Cabins Inc
Marina Motel
Marina Motel
#1 of 6 in Inlet

Been to Big Moose Inn? Share your experiences!