“seems I had better experience than most”

Clarion Hotel Dunkirk
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Dunkirk
Vienna, Virginia
“seems I had better experience than most”
Reviewed June 8, 2009

I almost gave this hotel a four, but decided on three based on a number of things...I would try this hotel again, but would be clear to anyone I was mentioning it to about the disappointing aspects...

First the good:

1. We asked for a lake view and got one. Full Lake view, though window was a bit dirty, but not enough to keep us from enjoying the view
2. Our room had two queen beds and was perfectly clean (except the window was more cloudy than I would have expected). Bathroom was fine.
3. Beds were very comfortable
4. I thought the lobby was nicely done.
5. Receptionist at check in was very nice.
6. My husband and teenage son found the Jacuzzi nice
7. Our breakfast at the 'Wind Jammer' was very good. This costs extra.
8. Close walk to Lake Erie, Tim Horton's (for a great 24 hour snack), and a fairly good restaurant 'Demetris'

What I was disappointed in:

1. Wish the windows were clean to go with the awesome view! We could see through them, but they were quite dirty.
2. Our air conditioner did not work...called the front desk, they sent someone up who could not fix it. Luckily the evening was cool enough so we slept with the window open. Would have been fine, but there were noises coming from the docks that woke us up from time to time.
3. At check out, I mentioned to the receptionist they might want to fix the air conditioning (I asked for no compensation). The receptionist was a little short with me asking if I had let it run for at least 20 minutes until it cycled on. I told him no, I had not, because no one told me about this quirk, not even the woman who had come to our room to check it out. He just shrugged.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank spontaneoustrip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
west virginia
Reviewed May 7, 2009

There is barely any channels on the tv, when you go to rent a movie for $14.99 plus tax, it tells you to call the front desk to order it but it never allows you to rent one. Over half of the channels that are offered are news channels. There's no microwave or fridge in the room. No breakfast in the morning either! The heated pool isn't heated. Horrible!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank nikkilynn29
NY
Reviewed March 28, 2009

We only stayed here one night. We requested a lake view room. Not worth the extra $$ as the room faced to the side, I could not see the lake from the room. I had to go to the window and look sideways. Wait, I had to go to the window and OPEN it first because the windows were so *filthy* I could not see through them. The rest of the room was mediocre. While the comforter on the bed and the furniture looked newer, the rug was old and the wallpaper was out dated. We left our things in the suitcase as the filth on the closet rack was so black, i didn't want to hang my things. There is an indoor pool & jacuzzi. We decided to try it. The sign in our bathroom says not to take the bath towels to the pool, that there are towels at the pool. It didn't say that you had to go into the fitness room next door to get them, and that they were small, very worn and the lady only gives you one. The pool is ok clean, but I wondered what the small plumbing pipe by the side was dripping into it? There was also one by the jacuzzi. The tile around the jacuzzi had shiffed and slated the wrong way. Now the water around the edge got stuck there and appeared stagnet. The mold growing on the ceiling over the pool was a very *bright* green. We did not eat at the restaurant. We ordered room service for breakfast. I had to dial the room service extension several times before someone picked up. They were pretty speedy bringing the food. The food was not great, but ok. When we checked in, there was a little thing on the charges form that asked me to "check here" if I agree to a $1 charge to use the room safe. I did not check it, as we did not plan to use it. When we checked out, I was charged the $1 anyway. When I pointed it out to the front desk lady, we then had to stand there while she re-did the bill. It seemed the gentleman next to me was also having his bill re-done for some reason. All in all I'd say that if Dunkirk had more options, I would have stayed elsewhere. For what I paid, I would have expected friendly, knowledgeable, people-oriented staff, a window with an actual view and no mold. Not here.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank salachic
Maine
Reviewed March 23, 2009

My wife and i stayed at this poor excuse of a hotel in july of 2007 as we were driving from Maine to see relatives in Chicago. Previously we had stayed there in 2006 just out of pure luck and our experience had been mostly positive, so it seemed like a godd idea to make it a return destination. As we were sleeping we began to here this odd drip-drip noise coming out of the bathroom, and upon examination we discovered that some sort of brown liquid (didn't ask & don't want to know) was falling onto the drop ceiling of the bathroom. When we informed management they moved us to a new room and stated that they would adjust our bill since this new new room was not "lakeside." The new room was just awful and our bed's main means of support was a piece of unfinished 3/4'' plywood under the mattress. Upon checking out the day manager knew nothing of our situation but said that he would talk to his superior and our bill would be adjusted. Later, after 3 weeks of continous phone calls, we finally recieved a voicemail that the bill would not be adjusted as we were "billed correctly." The manager, or owner, or whomever never called us back and left it to some unfotunate underling which i consider to be the epitome of bad customer service.

It's all to bad too since this is a very convenient locale and the hotel could be so much more. The rooms are worn and decrepit and the staff doesn't seem to care. The "lake view" rooms are a joke and the only way that you could see the lake is if you scrapes some of the filth off the windows. The only plus was the restaurant was satisfactory and the wait staff was very nice.

Never ever stay at this blight on the American landscape.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bub4767
West Bend, WI
Reviewed February 17, 2009

No issues with my 3 day stay here. The room was clean, if a bit dated. Dinner in the hotel resturant was a treat and the service was very friendly and courteous. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Guelph
Reviewed October 15, 2008

We booked three rooms through Choice Hotels five weeks before our visit. We were promised rooms on the lake. When we arrived the receptionist told us she only had one room on the lake. She said she didn't know what happened. I think she gave our rooms to other people. She said the rooms not on the lake were ten dollars cheaper but when we checked out we were charged the same price as the lake view guests so we had to point out the mistake. We were reimbursed.
I must say the bed mattresses were comfortable but the room was old, worn and dingy. The metal cupboard doors were rusty and the windows were very dirty. We could not get the air conditioning to work.
The hotel staff was smoking up a storm in the housekeeping room on our floor and they didn't shut the doors so the smoke billowed into the hall. Coming from Canada, we are just not used to smoking in public places.
It was just depressing staying in a place that screams, "We just don't care about this hotel or our guests."

Stayed October 2008
3 Thank KBN_Guelph
Owego, New York
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Upon arrival, the front desk watched as I stumbled my way through the door loaded down with luggage- and made no attempt to assist me. Thank goodness for a nice gentleman who happened to be arriving behind me- he rescued the door from being torn off by my luggage.

My key card appeared as though it had been used a few dozen times, and the elevator was grossly unkempt (as were most of the hallways and general areas). The hotel smells dingy, as if it hasn't been cleaned in years. Just plain dirty. My room was located in an alcove that I would have been nervous about having to enter or exit late at night...oddly dark and hidden from the main hallway. The room itself was dingy smelling as well. Not at all fresh. The pillows on my bed looked as if someone had slept on them the night before- I looked the bed over good to make sure there were no signs of anything unfortunate to discover upon climbing into bed. It was alright. The bed was fairly comfortable- the chair in the room had a grimy feel about it, like a piece of old furniture that's never been cleaned. Everything in the room is old and not kept fresh- including the information binder. The TV remote didn't work well, and the picture on the TV is awful. Not enjoyable. There were random little bugs occasionally flitting about the room. The windows were covered in scum, and I didn't dare open them as upon closer inspection as it appeared to be the source of the little bugs. I had no view because the scummy film was so thick. I am attaching photos.

I had to ring the main desk 3 times before someone answered so I could request a wake-up call. The walls are so thin, you can hear _everyone's_ conversation and activities within ear-shot, including those of all the drunks that come up for rooms after karaoke night, slamming doors, laughing, & carrying on, etc...

I ordered room service a couple of times and ate downstairs once. The food was okay, but nothing spectacular. The hot chocolate however was outstanding. I highly recommend it. The seafood bisque was really good as well. The service from the restaurant was friendly and prompt, but I ended up tripping over the uncollected tray that I left outside the door the night before. The restaurant itself had a musty smell about it, the same as the rest of the hotel. The whole building is humid- not kept cool, which made it stuffy.

I'm fairly confident that they don't actually clean- I suspect they just make the bed and replace used towels.

I would recommend checking out some of the B&B's in the Dunkirk/Fredonia area. That's what I plan to do the next time I have to travel to that area again. The only reason I chose this place was because the ones in Fredonia had even worse reviews.

If you're traveling with family, the lake (within walking distance) does have a beach for those who like to swim....although the smell from the surrounding factories made me second guess the purity of the water.

• Liked — The hot chocolate
  • Disliked — Overpriced for the disappointing accommodations- scummy view
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank willjea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkirk
Comfort Inn
#3 of 3 in Fredonia
Theater Motel
Theater Motel
#1 of 2 in Westfield

Been to Clarion Hotel Dunkirk? Share your experiences!