“My recent weekend there.”

Clarion Hotel Dunkirk
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Dunkirk
Garrettsville, Ohio, United States
“My recent weekend there.”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I attended my son's (John and Jodi Winchell) wedding this past weekend. The hotel staff were very accommodating and friendly. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable with two different types of pillows to choose from. I would recommend staying there to all my family and friends. The wedding was a great success and perfect in all ways. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Andrea S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We had our wedding here on 6/16. Due to a reception venue change, we decided to check out the Clarion. We liked that the hotel is large and on Lake Erie. We also liked that the area in close proximity to the hotel had a boardwalk, a pier, restaurants, bars, and an outside bar at the hotel. These are a bonus when you are wanting to keep guests safe at your wedding.

We of course read past reviews of the hotel. We met with the banquet coordinator and the owner. We took a tour of the facilities as well as the banquet room and the honeymoon suite. We were impressed with the honeymoon suite and the spacious hot tub and king bed. We saw pictures of previous weddings. We toured the facility in February of 2012. They were in the process of re-doing the floors.

The Clarion experienced some personnel changes over the course of our experience. As with any couples planning a wedding we were skeptical of change. We had to retry the reception dinner due to a head chef change. We were very happy with the new version of our choices. Doreen makes great food. Our banquet coordinator, Amanda did a good job once we were close to the date.

We blocked 30+ rooms for the event. We have read the previous reviews but we are very happy to say we did not see or hear of the previous complaints on earlier reviews. Our room was great! Our bridal party spent most of the entire weekend from Thursday on at the hotel. Our rooms refrigerator had a iced up freezer and we called the desk and a new one was brought up in 5 minutes. Our maintenance / banquet set-up man went above and beyond all weekend long. He really cared about how our room was set up and if we wanted changes.

The rehearsal dinner went great and was cooked as we wanted it. We had met the bartender, Brenda when we were initially prospecting the hotel. She had tenure there and gave us the tour and honest opinions. We used her at the rehearsal dinner and also at the reception. She was top notch! Caring, helpful, and on top of things.

Our reception went very well and the food was prepared beyond our expectations. The wait staff was on top of things and courteous.

The breakfast was your typical complimentary fare of bagels, toast, sausage, eggs and cereal.

Overall, we had read the earlier reviews and we were skeptical. We had a heightened awareness because of past reviews and it is a stressful time prior to the big day. We came away very happy and impressed with our experience. Ash, the manager was there for our whole weekend experience. He asked us multiple times what we needed and if we were happy. We give the Clarion, Dunkirk and its staff a high review. It was really nice to keep the wedding guests close and safe and have many options within reach. We would not hesitate to spend a weekend getaway there again.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank buffalomoo
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Arrived at the Clarion Hotel on a Saturday, while checking in not one of the three people working the front desk greeted us. Got to our non-smokng room to find it smelled like smoke! Instead of a view of beautiful Lake Erie, we looked out over a gravel rooftop with garbage. I went down to the front desk to ask for a room change due to the smell of smoke and was argued with by the desk clerk that their 4th floor is smoking. I again asked to be moved to another room and was given attitude..... again, when I finally had to insist on being a paying customer and had requested a smoke-free room, she finally agreed to move us, but not until the next day. The following day had a nice view of the lake but couldn't see it too well due to the windows being so dirty.The room was small and the equipment was old in the fitness center, and again the clerk working did not greet you. The hallway rugs were dirty looking and they must have forgotten to turn the AC on in the hallways, because it was pretty warm while walking to your room and it wasn't a pleasant sight to look at mold while in the shower.
The hotel staff was not pleasant and the food was......ok.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bar_one757
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This inexpensive hotel is located right on Lake Erie, a beautiful spot in the otherwise dreary town of Dunkirk. When I arrived, the computer system was down. The staff was apologetic about being unable to check me in right away. Luckily my colleague had arrived before me and was already in her room. I stowed my things with her and went out for a lovely ride along the lake (I brought my folding bike along for this trip). Upon my return I was able to register. I was very surprised to find someone's belongings in "my" room. Thank goodness, the owner of said belongings was not there.

The friendly staff seemed unsurprised (this happens often?) and gave me another room. Here I lucked out and got a lakeview room. Gorgeous! While the room was a bit shabby, it was clean and everything - internet connection, plumbing, air conditioning - worked just fine. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet.

While the town has little to offer, it is conveniently located. Nearby Fredonia has some nice restaurants and shops and not far away are Lake Chautauqua, Mayville, Lillydale, the Amish Trail, wineries and other area attractions. In the summer, on the pier just next to the hotel, there is live music every Thursday evening. I checked it out, and the atmosphere was pleasantly festive. There are walking and biking paths along the lake. If you're a cyclist you'll be interested to know that the hotel is located on NY Bike Route 517.

The hotel offers a "deluxe hot breakfast." No. Pass on it. Nearby Dmitris, while not recommended for dinner, opens at 6 a.m. and offers a fine breakfast. Or, to save money, bring along your favorite breakfast treats (that don't need refrigeration) and supplement with the milk, juice and barely adequate coffee that the hotel provides.

I'd return as this hotel makes an inexpensive base for exploring the region.

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeview room. Worth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CharmCityTraveller
Shokan, New York
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This motel is located right on the water of Lake Erie. The sunsets and sunrise was unbelieveable! You have a view of Lake Erie wherever you stay in this motel and there is a wonderful walking path along the water. The scene reminded me of the originalFree Willy because they have the rock wall out in the water which you can walk on.

Room Tip: wonderful rooms which ever you stay in. Absolutely clean indoor pool. Great breakfast in the mornin...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sue k
Campbell
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Yes it is true - you're on Lake Erie! Also true what the other review said - hard to see through the dirty windows. We stayed there while at our wedding. The whirlpool jets fell apart when we first truned it on. Lousy patch jobs of holes in the walls. Used a bank VISA card to pay and it wouldn't go through their system. After waiting for approx. 1/2 hour for it, the management said just leave it and he would take care of it. Eight months later...I got a phone call out of the blue they have new man. and found the card. After man. was very nasty on the phone they put the card through. Filed a complait with cutomer service - no response in 2 months so called them. Because I recieved a email from man. saying "sorry for the inconvience" nothing was done. Thought I would at least recieve a free night - ha ha!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jan_8964
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 24, 2012

One of the better hotels in the area. Room comfortable, but I hate in the wall heat controls that are noisy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mtiques
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkirk
Comfort Inn
#3 of 3 in Fredonia
Theater Motel
Theater Motel
#1 of 2 in Westfield

Been to Clarion Hotel Dunkirk? Share your experiences!