“Elegant, romantic, friendly, comfortable, delicious!”
Review of 1897 Beekman House

1897 Beekman House
Ranked #1 of 11 Dundee B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 24, 2012

When planning our trip, I chose 1897 Beekman House based on the gorgeous photos of the rooms and the mouth-watering descriptions of breakfast. I was not disappointed, and in fact, I was surprised by how much the experience exceeded my expectations! About a week before our trip, my husband called to ask for restaurant recommendations in the area, and Chuck gave us a few suggestions, but also offered to make us dinner himself. He worked up a menu for a 5-course Italian dinner that sounded amazing, for a more than reasonable price. When we arrived to check in, Chuck and Gerry greeted us at the door, showed us around, and took us to our room, which was even more beautiful in person than the pictures. After taking our luggage upstairs, we spent some time downstairs chatting with them, and they were friendly and warm and positively wonderful to talk to. We soon changed for dinner, and the experience was incredible. The food was all skillfully handmade and absolutely delicious. I could not have had a better birthday dinner at any restaurant in the world. After our intimate dinner, we relaxed in front of the fireplace for a while before heading upstairs to bed, where we slept like babies in a comfortable and beautiful bed in the Oriental Room. For breakfast, we were served coffee, a fruit smoothie shooter, Peach Vols au Vent, which is a delicious pastry, a red wine poached pear stuffed with spiced mascarpone, and and egg strata with Chuck's own sausage.

Chuck and Gerry made our trip incredibly memorable and wonderful. There is nothing about this trip that could be improved, except that I would have liked to stay longer!

Should we make it back to the Finger Lakes area, we will certainly return to 1897 Beekman house. I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

2  Thank Diana E

Reviewed February 23, 2012

We chose this b&b based on the pictures of both the house and the gourmet breakfast, and wound up finding such a rare gem! The house is gorgeous, the food scrumptious, and the inn keepers are so warm and welcoming! We didn't want to leave (In fact, I was ready to have my husband leave me there during the week while he returned to work, then come back to pick me up the following weekend!)! Chuck was even kind enough to email me a recipe for his delicious poached pears! We were certainly spoiled by this get away. We will most definitely be going back!!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 21, 2012

The 1897 Beekman House was a beautiful, peaceful getaway. The Owner's Chuck & Gerry possess very warm and welcoming personalities, making us feel right at home. They know just how to take care of their guests. The stunning beauty of this victorian home mingles with all the amenities one might need. The atmosphere throughout the entire house was so romantic. The food was superb! Best breakfast ever! Truly a wonderful experience. Gorgeous, clean B & B clearly with very high standards. Loved the comfy bed also. We thank our host & hostess very much and can't wait for our return trip!

1  Thank Nona_Paco
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Beekman House Review

The 1897 Beekman House B&B in Dundee, NY gave us a warm base from which to explore the Finger Lakes. This large, old Victorian home is immaculately kept, with sparkling ammenities. Only one problem: I didn’t want to leave the comfort, elegance, and luxurious hospitality of our hosts and their lovely home. There are so many cozy corners in which to relax and read. Alas, the wine country, hiking trails and lakes beckon after Chuck and Gerry provide a relaxing, and SERIOUSLY INDULGENT breakfast. They are locavores and community minded, and will make you feel like it’s your birthday! Oh, yeah, it was! The best birthday present ever!!

Room Tip: If you like the clip clop of early morning Mennonite traffic, pick a front room!:)
1  Thank Ellyn and Gary H
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My partner Peter and I spent the weekend here in mid-November for our third anniversary and to take in an early holiday wine tour. From the moment we arrived, the Beekman house felt like home. Chuck and Gerry had a lovely reception in the evening with wine and snacks which bought together guests for great conversation and exchanges. In the morning, Chuck showed off his culinary skills (and I am not joking, he is an ACTUAL chef - no continental breakfast with plain waffles here!) with 3-course breakfast each morning of our stay, with complete description on how the flavors interacted and were diverse but balanced to pick up on each vibrant flavor. Our first morning we had a more savory meal plan with delicious quiche after a homemade pastry and fruit course and the second day was a more sweet-oriented meal with stuffed french toast, after wonderful fresh baked scones and a citrus fruit with mint (I believe, I am writing this 3 months after the fact, I remember the fruit because it was meant to balance the sweet).
The rooms were well-kept and homey with lovely updated bathrooms. We had the smallest room but by far it has the best bathroom with a separate shower and claw tub that I made use of. Although the bathroom is separated by a little private hall, it is like having a little wing of the house of your own. I peeked into the other 3 rooms when everyone checked out since we were last to leave, hence by ability of comparison, but other bedrooms had more room in the bedroom and more lush bedding. I loved our room and did not feel any regret by taking the smallest room, especially due to price reflection and the beautiful bathroom. Our room was made up when we were wine touring and came complete with a true mint on the pillow.
I know there are many B and B's to sort through in this area, but this is probably one of the best. The food, the atmosphere and the extreme attention to detail set the Beekman House far above expectations. I highly recommend and would gladly return for a quiet weekend.
~Amanda and Peter

Room Tip: The rooms are completely different and reflect an individual style in each. By looking at the photos...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FulbrightSriLanka
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Absolutely amazing experience. We were greeted by our host as we came up the sidewalk and welcomed as if we were visitinf family for the holidays. As soon as we entered the front door we knew we had found something special. The details in the decor and attention to the history of the home is amazing. We were shown our room which was exquisitely decorated with the mozt comfortable bed I have ever encountered. Ws even had an original skeleton key to open the door with! Breakfast did not disappoint, in fAxt it was so satisfying we skipped lunch. From scratch scones, poached pear with marscapone were to die for. The palate cleansing sorbet between courses was a course of its own! Dutch baby pancakes were too big to finish but don't worry, the have doggie bags. You will love 1898 Beekman House!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We found this B&B on the web. We LOVED it! Gerry and Chuck are wonderful hosts. The breakfasts that Chuck (a Culinary Institute grad) made are out of this world--kick the diet to the curb! The room was finely detailed with a comfortable bed with exquisite linens and everything you could need. We will be back. We cannot stop raving about this place to everyone.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundee
Hudson Manor Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 9 in Watkins Glen
Geneva on the Lake
Geneva on the Lake
#6 of 11 in Geneva

Been to 1897 Beekman House? Share your experiences!