“Loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harper's Bar & Restaurant

Harper's Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Harper's Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 37 Restaurants in Dobbs Ferry
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main St between Elm and Chestnut
Transit: Dobbs Ferry train station via the Metro North Hudson Line.
Description: Locally sourced ingredients, seasonal menus, and handcrafted cocktails unite at Harper's Bar & Restaurant-a modern interpretation of the American tavern. CIA-trained chef Chris Vergara serves simple, fresh food in ‘eclectically elegant’ dining rooms where comfortably distressed lighting fixtures and reclaimed wooden wainscoting evoke the rich heritage of Harper’s Hudson Valley home.
Hastings-on-Hudson
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I received a Restaurant.com gift certificate, which I was hesitant to redeem at Harper's due to its limited menu. But I ultimately decided to check it out, and I'm so glad I did!!! Delicious food and great service. My only complaint - GET A NEW SOUND SYSTEM! The sound quality of the music was an annoying distraction!

• Visited January 2013

Dobbs Ferry, New York
“Great food and also gluten free friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was surprised at the quality of this food and I rarely rate anyone excellent. They had delicious food that they were able to adapt to meet my gluten free needs and I was a very happy camper. I tend to go to the same places all the time because of my dietary needs. Finding a new place in Dobbs Ferry was just a delight. And it was upscale yet casual so that people were there with the well behaved children. It has the great Dobbs Ferry vibe, causal, upscale, family friendly and eager to make the customer happy. There is a limited menu that is the only negative.

Visited October 2012
Bronx, New York
“all is fine - thank you for trying...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I like coming to this place. Always fine quality. Regular menu is excellent. Service is fine. Fine place. They offer time to time some specials. I had dinner on december 31 but order from the regular menu anyway - specials they had that day were mostly meat dishes. I prefer fish. Wine by the glass is 9-12 dollars - very good. Never get tired of it. Keep it up!!! I live in the Bronx - 25 minute drive to Dobbs Ferry - worth it...

American creative fair. Fine food in a very casual atmosphere. Recommend highly...

• Visited December 2012
NYC
“Terribly Disappointed...Food & Atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Decided from reviews to try Harper's instead of old faves: Sam's, Harvest-on-Hudson, Blue Moon (ex-Charthouse), Sushi MIke's. Oh, man oh man....what a bummer. Especially for the last night of my Arizona friend's Christmas visit. To be fair, of the 3 of us...6 courses--my salad and my simple, broiled fish were quite tasty. My husband's oysters were okay (and he didn't get sick!). I was the lucky one. For starters, the bread was nothing to write home about--just room temp white bread, the Cheesy Bread appetizer was just a greasy blob. So, appetizers were not a total bust. But, dinner for my friend and husband were...a total bust. The pasta and sauce wasn't as good as canned stuff from the grocery shelf...and the, supposedly, House Speciality -- the Schneitzel -- thin, tough and burnt. Enuf re: their food. Atmosphere: we should've taken the cues around us: mostly empty tables...no great ambience in the first room (white, long, narrow). We were taken around to the back and to the left where there were only 2 people next to us. The decor was a very failed attempt at being a hip, NY, funky/Village speakeasy maybe...dark, purposely chipped and spackle-white spots randomly here and there...with little, out-of-proportion "antiques" scattered randomly here & there. Their idea/intentio was sweet...an homage to their Grandmother Harper--but, the execution was, well, let's just say...not successful. In fact, it was downright gloomy. My husband had to take a couple votives off another table so that we could see the menu. Plus...in this one long, somewhat narrow, dark room--there appeared to be 3 different room "themes". The bar upfront, which had been leftover from a previous incarnation of another restaurant that failed in this spot--was really quite nice. But, totally empty...as was the middle area. STAFF: the owner or mgr was gregarious, humorous and tried to cheer us up at the end of the meal. He even brought over a chocolate bread pudding and a lemon tart, gratis. The pudding was very good! The tart...nah. Crust too hard...needed a knife to get thru it--your fork or spoon would have been a struggle. The lemon with mushy merinque was mediocre. Gotta say that we did finish it--my husband was hungry after returning the Schneizel after 2 bites! And, I nibbled on the crust--using my fingers and choppers (teeth). Our waiter was adequate...not sure he liked being at Harper's anymore than we did. Oh...gotta say that my husband was impressed with all the beers and expensive liquors on the shelf at the bar in the other room--and found the bartender to be terrific. VALUE: Our meal was over $100 + tip. Definitely overpriced. So: Best part--the menu. It totally fooled us. Got wowed by the lovely layout/style and words like: Organic, fresh, local. That's what drew us in to give it a shot. But, the really best part...was walking out the door and heading home. Where my husband immediately made himself some really, good, organic, fresh, local dinner--with music and plants and ambience!
Since we can't offer our place for a yummy dinner....try the ones I first mentioned above. Oh...the Cookery smelled delicious---but, we had to leave cuz it was so cramped and super noisy. We would have had to shout at each other over a teeny table. Hope this helps you have a wonderful evening "out on the town".

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NYC
“Oh My God, the burger is as good as The Red Hat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I had tried Harper's when it first opened a while back and it was okay. I kept hearing that it is very good and so I went back with a friend. The burger is outstanding! So are the fries! I only get burgers at The Red Hat in Irvington because those, too, are outstanding. Now, I have two spots to go to for my meat fix! The salad at Harper's was also excellent. The atmosphere is a bit dark and gloomy, however. Maybe they will brighten it up since many folks have the same reaction to the space. BUT, wow, what a burger!

I have also heard that the rest of the food is very good.

• Visited October 2012