“Two Years In A Row”

Flamingo Resort on Lake George
Reviewed July 18, 2011

This was our second year in a row that we have stayed at the "Flamingo Resort on Lake George". Both times I have totally enjoyed my stay there. Not only did I find this resort to be very family oriented but it also turns out they are "Biker Friendly" too... The owners George & Laura went out of their way to make sure that we had a great time while there. Helping us out with the best places to dine for what we were in the mood to eat... burger's to steaks... Getting us "hooked up" on HOOKER CHARTERS for a great time out on the lake... Thanks Jason...
We wanted to ride our bikes up to Lake Placid one of our days there and George helped us map out our route. Let me tell you he really knows the area...great ride...
What can I say? But... When your away from home, and you sleep like a baby... Somebody is doing something right!!!
Thanks to George, Laura, and the staff at the Flamingo for helping to make our vacation a memorable one... See ya next year!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 12, 2011

Ok we have been going here every year for 3 years on our 1st vacation over the summer we take a few and let me tell you it is the best place on lake George the beach area the pool area are fantastic and the owners are sooooooooooooo nice and for all the people one here that are giving this place bad reviews and say their spiders all I have to say is please don't go back and go some where else

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Loucap07
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Wow, can't say enough about this place, its gives you the feel of the mountain but still give you the feeling of comfort. We love our stay so much that we already planing our next trip. The owners George, Laura and his sister Christine were the most friendly and out going people we've meet. Pls check then out event if only passing through..

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2011

The Flamingo is a Family Resort in every way...During my stay, Laura & George, {owners}, couldn't do enough for me and my family...Their door is always open - for the Basket Ball, Horseshoes, Oars for the Row Boat, for the Ping Pong Ball, etc...They treated my kids great, and my one daughter wants Laura's job when she grows up. Having lived in the area his whole life, George is more than happy to answer any questions that you might have about the Lake George area...

My 2 daughters, ages 10 & 12, and wife enjoy the Bass Charter Fishing trips we take on the "Hooker", docked right at the Flamingo...Last year, both of my daughters caught Small Mouth Bass' that were each over 18 inches...Their is also a Six Flags a couple of miles away. With very short lines for most rides, and a great water park area...

The rooms were great - we really did not spend much time indoors, other than to sleep.
And the A/C's worked great - Not all the resorts on Lake George have A/C...Their are plenty barbecue's available, if you feel like cooking outside...At night all the kids have a great time playing with each other outside, and keep in touch with each other via e-mail when they go home...A Real Family Resort!!!

Richie M., Whitestone, NY

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Richie2689
Reviewed November 15, 2010

The Flamingo has been a choice of ours for years now and we have to say we are never disappointed. Rooms are cabin-like which adds to the feel of being in nature. Hotel is away from the strip and further up the mountain. There is a small arcade in the hotel which is okay and has some basic games (air hockey, pool, pinball, etc.). There are two pool option on both sides of the street as well as the option of swimming in the lake if you walk down the hill. We like to stay on the mountain side because it is cheaper and has better scenery. The hotel is about a 10 minute drive to the main strip but there are plenty of restaurants on the way as well as horseback riding. Also, the hotel is located closer to Chic's marina which is one of the few spots to get jet skis, para sail, boat, etc. Overall, we would recommend this hotel for people looking to relax at the Lake.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ANTravelers
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We planned our Lake George trip only a couple of weeks in advance and having never been to the area we relied heavily on the trip advisor reviews and we were not disappointed. There are 4 basic lodging options in this area - the large chain hotels which are near the highway / not even close to the lake, the luxury resorts on the lake which are VERY expensive, the motels in town - some of which don't even have a view of the lake, or the family type resorts on the lake. The Flamingo is in the last category. This is on the lake, with a few different room options. We stayed in a 2 bedroom efficiency with a living room and a kitchen area. We arrived mid-week and early in the day, but Laura and George were able to accomodate us and get us in our room within 30 mintues. We enjoyed the lake beach in the meantime.
The accomodations were VERY clean, the outside of the place is well maintained. This is not luxury - but since we spent only a couple of hours a day other than sleeping in our room it wa a perfect fit. The price was very competitive.
The lakeside beach is perfect for families of all ages - an "enclosed" swimming area for little kids, and an elevated dock for the older kids to jump off. There's a dock and two "decks" set higher and over the water with chairs, umbrellas and tables. The teens from a few different families all became friends after a day or two and decided the deck was their place to hang out in the eveing. The deck is a great place mid-day to keep an eye on your older kids and late afternoon for snacks or drinks.
The kitchens have everything needed for basic cooking needs, plates, utensils, pots & pans, so we made breakfast almost every day. Outside all of the rooms are tables, chairs, picnic tables, and grills. Many families had dinner onsite & in the evening you can smell the aroma of grilled steaks, burgers, ribs, sausage. As a mom of teens I spend more time in the kitchen than I like anyway - and since this was my vacation too we ate dinner out every night - but it would have been super easy to grill a few burgers for a low-cost alternative.
Following the advice of others on this site we brought inflatable tubes & floats, beach towels and additional bath towels. After one afternoon at the beach we bought some clothesline and tied our tubes together and to the dock so we could completely relax into the lake and not worry about floating away. Taht was one of the best parts of my vacation - the floating every afternoon. As for towels - the towels at the Flamingo are on the small side, but every other day the staff comes in and replaces them. They don't clean & make beds in the efficiency units which was fine - but we could have used a small vaccuum for the grass the beach sand that gets tracked in. I'm sure they would have run the vaccuum one day if we had asked, because everything we asked for they were very quick to provide - no matter how big or small.
George, the owner, is on site all the time. The place is well run and the staff is nearly invisible but always around. Before Labor Day weekend began I noticed one of the staff cleaning all the grills - and there are probably 30+ around the property.
We found that AT&T gets limited cell reception on site (only on the decks over the lake) which was disappointing to my teenage daughter initially - but by the end of our 5 nite stay she commented that it was a good thing beucase she woudn't have met the other teens if she had been texting all the time. Apparently Verizon worked jsut fine becuase my offie blackberry kept getting emails (darn). The Flamingo also has WiFi which worked wonderfully until Labor Day weekend arrived. Not sure if there was too much volume but we didn't miss the internet for two days.
A quick story about the service at the Flamingo - Friday night a group of 20-something guys who had been drinking for a while began to get loud - not aggressive or scary - just dumb and loud. They were staying in the room next to ours and they were outside our hanging out. They woke me up and int he next 10 minutes while trying to decide how to handle it I heard one of the Flamingo staff people come over to them and remind them that this is a family place and people and their kids are trying to sleep and it's the middle of the night - please break it up and call it a night. I didn't even have to make a call - a calm, in-charge, reasonable management person arrived and saved the day (night). The people at the Flamingo anticipate what their guest will need and want. Super.
They also have two pools (delightful - not at all crowded), two ping pong tables, a volleyball court, horseshoe court, and two playgrounds for little kids. The kids of all ages were out every evening and it was really a pleasure to see families all out and doing stuff instead of inside in front of a TV.
Finally, there's a fishing boat (catch & release) that operates from their dock. Jason bought the boat from George (Flamingos' owner) a few years ago and you can tell he takes pride in his business. He's a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable guy. We went out one evening from 4 - 8. While I'm not a fisher myself, my husband and kids had a great time (caught numerous fish) and I really enjoyed the gorgeous sunset on the lake.
As we drove away early Monday morning my husbnad commented that this was probably our best family vacation ever (we've done Disney, Hershey, Williamsburg, Gettysberg, etc.) and the kids (11 and 14) asked if we could come back next year. THAT's a successful vacation.
We do plan on coming back now that we've discovcered Lake George and the Flamingo. Just delightful.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank NYMetroMom
Reviewed August 27, 2010

Im not sure who the people are who are giving this resort good reviews because this place is a hole. The people at check in were friendly but that is where it stops. The room smelled like a can of raid had been sprayed in it, and were dark and dingy, There were spiders and bugs crawling on the walls and in the bathroom. Our socks were black just from walking on the carpet. We wiped up the bathroom floor after having a shower and the towel was black. They obviously do not clean very well. The towels were so used that you could virtually see through them they were so thin.The beds were old and uncomfortable. We went to use the "heated" pool, but it was definetely not heated. We went to use the beach and the first thing we noticed was a used condom sitting on the beach front.
The photos on the website are certainly not recent photos.
For the price they charge for a room, one would expect an updated room, or at least clean, but neither at this place.
Do yourself a favour and spend your money somewhere else, because I can guarantee you will be disappointed in the Flamingo.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 25 in Lake George
Blue Lagoon Resort
Blue Lagoon Resort
#1 of 5 in Diamond Point

Been to Flamingo Resort on Lake George? Share your experiences!