“Unsatisfied”

Golden Sands Resort on Lake George
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Diamond Point
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have to agree with some of these reviews. Although Golden Sands is in a great location, the lake area was not inviting. My room was noisy with the sound of cars. It was a far walk to the lake. There was no view of the lake from our room. The grounds did little to impress me, and I couldn't connect to wi fi. The picture showed a lovely pool, so we didn't even double check it, and we were disappointed to find there was no pool. The room itself was ok. I agree you can do better in that area for the price, just shop around.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank betty p

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I'm really shocked at the owner of this hotel. Instead of taking on board honest criticism of his motel here he resorts to slandering his guests. You're too fat! You're a redneck! Your baby's diapers stink not our rooms! I sincerely urge all potential customers to read all the reviews here - you'll notice some common complaints and there is no smoke without fire as they say. (You may also notice oddly positive reviews effusing about Bob and how they always return to the place, reviews that curiously immediately follow negative ones - the one prior to this looks highly suspicious for example. Who calls to "ask what's going on with all the negative reviews"? I mean really!).

The motel doesn't look at all as nice as the website would have you believe. The rooms do have a really horrible smell - another reviewer nailed it calling it the smell of cat pee. Also we could hear everything going on in the rooms next to us and above us. TV, talking, walking, toilet flushing, thankfully no hanky panky. It wasn't that our neighbors were being particularly noisy. It was just that the walls are paper thin. It was really annoying when we tried to get to sleep at 11pm. I'm sure they could hear us too in the morning as we are early risers.

I really feel like we paid way too much for what we got. If the prices were halved that would be in the right ballpark. Now I understand why the owner doesn't take credit cards. Too easy for unhappy guests to file for a refund due to services not rendered as advertised.

I'm sure that Bob is now going to make something up about me in his response. How we did this or that. Or maybe I'm connected with that family he kicked out? (I'm not - if what he claims is true then they deserved it). How about, Bob, instead of being nasty about your guests, how about fixing the problems with your motel that your customers - yes, CUSTOMERS WHO JUST PAID YOU HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS, point out. (ps if he does claim to know who I am, he's lying. I entered a slightly different date of stay).

• Stayed: September 2012
23  Thank George D
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Very very very displeased. Ive always heard such wonderful things about Lake George so I decided to take a long weekend there. I came across this place in my search, and with it's name i was hooked. Sounded like paradise. When i showed up , it was far from that. The "golden sands" were a rocky muddy brown mess. The lake area was super small, had rocks and tree limbs in the swiming area and a small dock that cut the swiming area in half. I tried to swim past the rocks but everytime i stepped down I would cut my feet. There were also two resorts extremely close which made for very little privacy. Since lake swiming was out of the question, I decided to take a dip in the pool. But to my suprise, no pool existed. My wife and I were so unhappy. In the pics it shows a pool, just goes to show you what type of place it is when they lie in their pictures. Once in our rooms it did not get any better. They claim there is free wifi but it was impossible to conncet. When we complained the owner said it doest reach out to the rooms, once again lies lies lies. They lied about the pool as well as the wifi. The room itself was ok, nothing to rave about. It had a decent bed but the shower was so small I could barely rinse off. My wife even had trouble and she is only 5'7. The place is very outdated and small. it offered nothing. we went to Lake George to experience a great lake atmosphere and none was provided. During our second day we drove around to several other resorts to check out their establishments. Withing 20 min we found 3-4 other places that were 100 times nicer. I would recommend not staying here at all. check out other places in the area, they are priced relatively close and have much better rooms & swiming areas both pool & lake. I also agree with some of the previous posts about the owner, seemed very strange, creeped out my wife abit with some comments upon check in. Hopefully you wont make the same mistake I did and you will get to enjoy your stay at a "real Resort"

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
15  Thank chris j
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Shouldn't be called a resort. Tiny small property no pool like in pics. Small lake area with dirt not sand , old rooms small with small showers .. Not family or kid friendly ..owner bob watches your every move with binoculars he is mean rude creepy crazy unfair unreasonable and steals your money .stay far away

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank Kellz132013
Reviewed August 12, 2013

If you plan on sitting in the filthy room all day and not making a peep, and you don't mind being watched the entire time By someone with binoculars. Than stay here. Their customer service was not only horrible, but we were ripped off. We had multiple rooms, containing grandparents down to babies. And we were taking advantage of. We were not aware of any rules, but by playing frisbee, drinking a few beers, and cooking after 8 pm. We found out that we had broken rules and were kicked out, with out ant kind of warning. We had to find new rooms at midnight, which is impossible. One women was pregnant and the children
Were terrified and stressed behind any fairness . No one broke any rules and the guy running the place had obviously done this before, because he knew exactly what he could get away with. I wouldn't stay their again if they paid me $500 a night. This was the worst hotel experience we ever had. We travel a lot and i would never leave a bad review just BC everyone and place has a bad day sometimes, but this guys should not be in bussiness, he was freindly on the phone, but once he received all the money from everyone, a switch went off and this lunatic went into rip off mode. We ended up having to pay $356 for our 8 hour stay at this place. In the past sometimes drinking and having a good time does gets a little loud, but you get a warning and you change what your doing. This guy gave no warning and we didnt do anything to deserve being kicked out or getting a warning. This guy clearly either missed a dose or needs to be medicated heavily. The pictures on the site are very deceiving and the place has a terrible set up. Their are no phones in the rooms, their is no internet unless your with in 20 feet of the office. Their was no ice, or coffee maker, the fridge didn't get cold. The rooms were dirty, the shower sucked, the deck outside the rooms was cover in slippery mold and moss, their were dangerous splinters everywhere.. this place is by far the worst resort in lake George, actually the worst resort in our country and probably most third world countries. If you had to stay their for what ever reason, give as little deposit possible, and don't pay upfront. He will kick you out and keep you money. I didn't believe my wife when she said she seen some one with binoculars looking at the room across from the office, but now after seeing them in the officei feel terrible for not saying something earlier. He was creepy and definitely not all their.

• Stayed: August 2013
11  Thank ryan61709
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I went in 2012 and will never go back. I do not understand the discrepancy between good and bad reviews when the bad reviews are what is really what to expect. Just to let you know there is no pool and the pictures are outdated. When we arrive it was late afternoon and came back up to cancel but bob was gone (office closed at 6:00 pm) so had a bad night. The next morning went to the office to cancel but bob said no so we left. Went we got home we called the credit card company and explained to them and told them to cancel the second night but they refused they said that they could not do that so we told them if they would not we would cancel the card and we never had that bill because the credit company work for you and not the vendor.Very sad place to go the only good thing is the beach.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank valy_1771
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We spent two long nights in this over-priced dump. Inflexible policy of no money back for early departures for any reason is why we stayed. I knew the place would be a no-frills sort of place, but this was beyond that.The room (2 doubles) we had on the 2nd floor was dated, cramped and musty/moldy smelling. Spiders were everywhere on the deck. One would think cleaning them off the deck would be part of the routine daily maintenance. Great place for an entomologist to stay, but I wasn't able to sit and enjoy myself.The outside (plastic) table and chairs were covered in a grimy film. The bathroom (shower only) was tiny and there were spiders in there as well. And if you don't care to dry off after showering with a flimsy, hand-sized "bath towel", bring your own from home. No coffee makers in the room. However, we did not bring our own as they had advertised that coffee was available in the office. When my husband asked about it, he was told by the owner that it "wasn't available". No apologies. In fact, he was rude and indifferent, and clearly could not care less. How this place gets any repeat business is beyond me. When I said we would not be returning, he passive-aggressively smiled and told us to have a nice day. I see that others have had similar experiences with the owner, so this seems to be his M.O. On the way out of town, we stopped to look at other nearby motels for future stays on the lake. We found others that were less expensive, cleaner, updated, and had friendly and welcoming owners. Disclaimer: we stayed in Aug of 2012. I had been meaning to write this many months ago; but something tells me that unless the management has changed, nothing has changed, thus the info is still pertinent to fellow travelers. Also, there is no pool at this "resort", so unless one has been built in the past several months, Tripadvisor should take down that photo of the in-ground pool. Although the kayaks were fine, we had to leave our licenses with the front desk, and get a key to unlock them, and were told we had to be back in an hour or there would be a charge. (Really???). Overall, an unpleasant experience. Our first and last sight-unseen motel stay on Lake George.
The only positive thing I can say is the location was nice. But now we know we can get that at any number of other places along the lake, for far less aggravation for less or the same price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Best Western of Lake George
Best Western of Lake George
#17 of 89 in Lake George
Surfside On The Lake Hotel & Suites

Been to Golden Sands Resort on Lake George? Share your experiences!