“Awfull”

Golden Sands Resort on Lake George
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Diamond Point
Reviewed August 12, 2013

If you plan on sitting in the filthy room all day and not making a peep, and you don't mind being watched the entire time By someone with binoculars. Than stay here. Their customer service was not only horrible, but we were ripped off. We had multiple rooms, containing grandparents down to babies. And we were taking advantage of. We were not aware of any rules, but by playing frisbee, drinking a few beers, and cooking after 8 pm. We found out that we had broken rules and were kicked out, with out ant kind of warning. We had to find new rooms at midnight, which is impossible. One women was pregnant and the children
Were terrified and stressed behind any fairness . No one broke any rules and the guy running the place had obviously done this before, because he knew exactly what he could get away with. I wouldn't stay their again if they paid me $500 a night. This was the worst hotel experience we ever had. We travel a lot and i would never leave a bad review just BC everyone and place has a bad day sometimes, but this guys should not be in bussiness, he was freindly on the phone, but once he received all the money from everyone, a switch went off and this lunatic went into rip off mode. We ended up having to pay $356 for our 8 hour stay at this place. In the past sometimes drinking and having a good time does gets a little loud, but you get a warning and you change what your doing. This guy gave no warning and we didnt do anything to deserve being kicked out or getting a warning. This guy clearly either missed a dose or needs to be medicated heavily. The pictures on the site are very deceiving and the place has a terrible set up. Their are no phones in the rooms, their is no internet unless your with in 20 feet of the office. Their was no ice, or coffee maker, the fridge didn't get cold. The rooms were dirty, the shower sucked, the deck outside the rooms was cover in slippery mold and moss, their were dangerous splinters everywhere.. this place is by far the worst resort in lake George, actually the worst resort in our country and probably most third world countries. If you had to stay their for what ever reason, give as little deposit possible, and don't pay upfront. He will kick you out and keep you money. I didn't believe my wife when she said she seen some one with binoculars looking at the room across from the office, but now after seeing them in the officei feel terrible for not saying something earlier. He was creepy and definitely not all their.

• Stayed: August 2013
11  Thank ryan61709
There are newer reviews for Golden Sands Resort on Lake George

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I went in 2012 and will never go back. I do not understand the discrepancy between good and bad reviews when the bad reviews are what is really what to expect. Just to let you know there is no pool and the pictures are outdated. When we arrive it was late afternoon and came back up to cancel but bob was gone (office closed at 6:00 pm) so had a bad night. The next morning went to the office to cancel but bob said no so we left. Went we got home we called the credit card company and explained to them and told them to cancel the second night but they refused they said that they could not do that so we told them if they would not we would cancel the card and we never had that bill because the credit company work for you and not the vendor.Very sad place to go the only good thing is the beach.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank valy_1771
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We spent two long nights in this over-priced dump. Inflexible policy of no money back for early departures for any reason is why we stayed. I knew the place would be a no-frills sort of place, but this was beyond that.The room (2 doubles) we had on the 2nd floor was dated, cramped and musty/moldy smelling. Spiders were everywhere on the deck. One would think cleaning them off the deck would be part of the routine daily maintenance. Great place for an entomologist to stay, but I wasn't able to sit and enjoy myself.The outside (plastic) table and chairs were covered in a grimy film. The bathroom (shower only) was tiny and there were spiders in there as well. And if you don't care to dry off after showering with a flimsy, hand-sized "bath towel", bring your own from home. No coffee makers in the room. However, we did not bring our own as they had advertised that coffee was available in the office. When my husband asked about it, he was told by the owner that it "wasn't available". No apologies. In fact, he was rude and indifferent, and clearly could not care less. How this place gets any repeat business is beyond me. When I said we would not be returning, he passive-aggressively smiled and told us to have a nice day. I see that others have had similar experiences with the owner, so this seems to be his M.O. On the way out of town, we stopped to look at other nearby motels for future stays on the lake. We found others that were less expensive, cleaner, updated, and had friendly and welcoming owners. Disclaimer: we stayed in Aug of 2012. I had been meaning to write this many months ago; but something tells me that unless the management has changed, nothing has changed, thus the info is still pertinent to fellow travelers. Also, there is no pool at this "resort", so unless one has been built in the past several months, Tripadvisor should take down that photo of the in-ground pool. Although the kayaks were fine, we had to leave our licenses with the front desk, and get a key to unlock them, and were told we had to be back in an hour or there would be a charge. (Really???). Overall, an unpleasant experience. Our first and last sight-unseen motel stay on Lake George.
The only positive thing I can say is the location was nice. But now we know we can get that at any number of other places along the lake, for far less aggravation for less or the same price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
15  Thank AME42
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We contacted the resort to make reservations and were told that a payment must be made to reserve a room, but that they do not accept credit cards over the phone, so we would need to mail a money order. I found this a bit of an inconvenience, requesting your guests to send a money order just to save a few points on credit card services, but I proceeded to obtain and mail a money order to complete our reservation of 2 rooms. My parents and my husband and myself then booked our vacation time from work. I showed my 6 year old son the pictures of the resort and told him all the thing we could do there and he was very excited. 21 days after our initial phonecall I receive in the mail our money order returned and a letter advising us that the room had been let to someone else because our money order took longer than the week deadline to get to them. I guess that, due to the fact that we had to take a few days to get the money order, and we are in Canada, the letter took longer than a week to reach the resort. 13 days according the Bob. There are several things with this situation that illustrate the lack of quality customer service. First, the resort could accept credit cards over the phone. Failing that, the resort could have contacted us before renting out our room and we could have told them that we sent the money order awhile ago. And as a last resort, they should have contacted us via telephone or email (as we had previously been communicating) to advise us that we no longer held a reservation there, to allow us time to attempt to get a reservation elsewhere. Instead they mailed us a letter which we received 21 days after making the original reservation. We are supposed to be leaving in a week and a half from now so we are left with a very short amount of time to find alternate arrangements in order to salvage our vacation. In addition, Bob was quite rude on the phone when we contacted him about recieving his letter and actually went so far as to insult my husband, calling him "condescending". I am sure that Bob will address this review on trip advisor shortly with some defense of his actions pointing to their policies on their website, but I think that a resort's policy should also include some common sense, decency and a genuine attempt at customer service.

16  Thank Jennifer D
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We met our daughter from Long Island and spent 4 days at Golden Sands.Bob was very personable and great staff.Clean sheets,towels and room,every day.
Not a bad trip from Connecticut.
Hopefully,we will go again next year!

1  Thank Mary_AnneWinsted
Reviewed July 18, 2013

After reading many reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided upon Golden Sands for a long weekend visit. I made a reservation with Bob over the phone and he was very pleasant to deal with. Once we arrived, we were a bit surprised by the condition of the room considering this was rated the #2 hotel in Diamond Point. There was an overwhelming smell of cat urine as well as a musty “old cabin” smell. We went down and talked to Bob and he was very nice as well as apologetic and offered to move us to another room. Once in the new room, there was no smell of cat urine, but the smell of musty “old cabin” was still very prevalent. Additionally the refrigerator in the room had been unplugged and left open and was also a source of a very bad smell in the room. Bob did ask if the room was ok, but at that point, I was fairly certain the rooms were just going to have at least that musty “old cabin” smell, so I told him we would stay there. As we spent more time in the room we began to see where the smell in the room was coming from. The bottom of the walls had obviously taken on water as the wood paneling was buckling and was covered in mold and mildew. The carpet was very old and damp, the bathroom, although it has new fixtures, had mold and mildew on the ceiling, the filters in the a/c units had not been cleaned (although someone came to our new room to spray Pine Sol on the a/c units, which was interesting) and the refrigerator continued to smell very bad despite having the door closed and the unit plugged in. Finally, once we turned in for the evening, we noticed that the door did not seal shut…we could see the outside lights all around the door opening….not that this contributed to the smell in the room, it did contribute to the bugs in the room at night.

After much deliberation, we decided after one night that the mold and mildew was too much for my husband’s allergies and we had to leave. Aside from being disappointed about our vacation being ruined, we also knew that upon check-in we had signed numerous documents saying that we understood there would be no refund for an early departure, no matter what the reason. Therefore, we knew we would not be receiving any refund for the additional two nights that we had pre-paid for, despite having a health issue because of the condition of the room. When we told Bob we had to leave due to my husband’s allergies, he just shook our hand and said, “Ok….thank you”. Although he was pleasant, he didn’t seem concerned about the mold and mildew smell or the fact that we weren’t satisfied.

I just took the time to go back to the Golden Sands website to look at the pictures of the rooms and the room we were in absolutely looked nothing like the picture (I have uploaded pictures of the paneling and the door). Should you have the opportunity to go and see the room you want to rent at Golden Sands, I would recommend you do that before you book a trip. You may find that the room is fine for you and your family (as an FYI, the bedding was clean, the bathroom had new fixtures, and the TV was new), but if have allergies you may want to see if it’s something you can tolerate.

Finally, last night I received a photocopied “thank you” piece of paper from Golden Sands along with a brochure, presumably so we can keep them in mind for our next vacation. After paying for three nights there, two of which we did not stay, I suppose a “thank you” was in order from them, but we would have preferred at least an apology if not an apology and a refund.

12  Thank R L
GoldenSandsResort, Owner at Golden Sands Resort on Lake George, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

When a negative reviewer posts, they often fail to disclose material facts. In this case, our guest was very rude and belligerent to our staff. It's omitted that when the guest arrived, she mentioned her husband is a 'Big Man,' which he was, in a big truck. Perhaps in excess of 350+ pounds with super sensitive allergies. The guest actually complained the floor would sag under his weight, and the 'single-wide' shower was too small. The posting guest here certainly took the time to post a lengthy negative post; however, failed at the onset to mention her husband has very special needs. So, we tried to accommodate her and upgrade to a beach room ... still the shower was too small for her big husband, who also suffers from some sort of sleep disorder. For a researcher, she took a chance. We were left with a sagging bed from the guest's weight, and a complaint. Psychology classes teach that when a guest is happy, they often do not compliment, but, for certain, when a guest is not happy, perhaps with life or their circumstances, they most certainly post negative and complain. One has to wonder about tripadvisor reviewers and those who enjoy posting unilateral "unsubstantiated" negative feedback to start, and people who actually believe it! We are a "Family Atmosphere" lakeside/beach resort mote with literally thousands of happy repeat customers. In closing, a check of nearly every motel at Lake George will have negative postings from disappointed people who are in general unhappy. Motels that encourage their favored guests to post positive feedback hold a disproportionate positive review rating. Maybe those who rely on tripadvisor for reviews should take better responsibility and accountability for their errors, or, in this case, "disclosing" her husband was an unusually "Big Man," which quite obviously creates frustration for her, and puts any motel or restaurant in a position to deal with the unusual. We clearly and unambiguously post Golden Sands on Lake George has "Single-Wide Showers." So, why is it our fault a "Big" 350+ lb. man can't fit in a standard shower? And, who now pays for the broken bed and damage? The stairs bowed under his weight, and they were nasty about it, like it's our fault!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Always a good choice if you want simple peace and quiet. Great view of the lake, free kayaking, private beach, close to just about everything and a friendly staff that will advise on the best eats and shops. Best is the cost is very reasonable compared to other locations....

The only downer is that I could not take my dog this time around. In the past, this was a pet friendly site, but no longer :(

Room Tip: Stood in joining rooms 15 and 16. Great for the family
1  Thank Gee C
Best Western of Lake George
Best Western of Lake George
#20 of 89 in Lake George
Surfside On The Lake Hotel & Suites

Been to Golden Sands Resort on Lake George? Share your experiences!