We stayed in the rooms by the shore rather than the motel rooms near the road.
First, the bad. The rooms have a musty stink which your nose gets used to but frankly is rather offensive to the nostrils on arrival. Also the soundproofing is really bad. Rooms 23, 24 and 25 (furthest from the lake) are underneath the upper level and the noise of the guests above stomping around, flushing the toilet and talking was really bad. It woke us all up every night when they came home inconsiderately noisy after midnight (we are early sleepers). Even earplugs weren't enough to block out the noise. The rooms in general feel really dated and in need of a good refurbish. Checkout is 10am ("NO EXCEPTIONS!") which is far too early. And strict.
As for the good, the free kayak rental is great and the little sanded beach is nice. Grills are provided for BBQing and kept clean on a daily basis. There is a rather basic swing and slide set for kids to play on and an extensive grassy area to run around in. The shallow waterfront is also great for young kids to wallow around in safely. The staff at the front desk (owner and employee) are extremely friendly and helpful.
Imagine a bit of a rundown motel you'd expect to pay $60 or $70 a night for on some highway in the middle of nowhere. Now transplant that motel to the Lake George beachfront and charge $200. That's what you have here and you have to decide if the lakeside premium is worth it. For a couple of nights, in our opinion, juuust about....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Sands Resort on Lake George is a "Family Atmosphere" lakeside resort motel offering comfortable 1 and 2 room accommodations on our private wide natural sand beach and shallow swimming area. We're located at the widest part of Lake George with spectacular 15 mile views, lakeside rooms, Free kayaks, Free Wi-Fi, private beach, dock, fridges, microwaves, playgrounds, ping-pong, b-ball, BBQ and picnic areas, lakeside fire pit, we're on Lake George trolley line, close to Lake George Village, and close to all restaurants and attractions! We're fun for the entire family! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Golden Sands Resort on Lake George reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort On Lake George Hotel Diamond Point
- Golden Sands Resort On Lake George NY - Diamond Point