“DO NOT STAY HERE , THUNDERBIRD RESORT” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Villas On Lake George

The Villas On Lake George
new york
“DO NOT STAY HERE , THUNDERBIRD RESORT”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

Despite reading some pretty awful reviews of Thunderbird Resort and Marina we decided to take a chance and stay here due to the fact that the outside appearance seems very pretty. Once we arrived we saw why people had taken the time to write the awful reviews. The room was in much need of updating. Carpet was dirty, bathroom was old and moldy and desperately needed updating. The air conditioner in the family suite was weak and way too small to effectively cool down the entire unit. There was no phone giving the guests no way to contact the office (except by your own cell phone), the TV had poor reception. When seeing this we were not happy but figured since it was a busy weekend and we already paid for the room and settled in, we'd make the best of it. The following morning we awoke to another problem! The entire kitchen area was infested with hundreds of ants. They were everywhere, even crawling in the clean sippy cups that we had placed on the kitchen counter for our two year old. Upon complaining we were told to wait for the maid which wouldn't be for another couple of hours. We decided to abruptly pack up and get out. The room rate was way too expensive to be dealing with problems of this sort. Always read the reviews about an establishment before staying there and if there are more negative ones than positive, then it must be for a reason. We do not advise you to stay here.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2008

My family and I usually rent 2 private homes on the lake each summer but the houses we rent we're sold. Because we love Lake George we figured we would try to find a place that was reasonable and could accomodate four families. BIG MISTAKE!! We found this place online and our first clue should have been the price, although it was by no means inexpensive. We payed 1250-1500/wk for each family. When we first got there we thought the resort itself was pretty decent with a new pool and very nice lake area. However, there is not much housekeeping or maintenance help although the one young man who is there seems to do EVERYTHING. He was very pleasant and accomodating and an extrememly hard worker. When we first checked out our "house", we we're shocked, I cannot even describe how awful and dirty it was. When we complained, the owner did move us to another house which was just as bad. We figured we would make the best of it and just deal with it until we found mouse droppings in EVERY unit we had (4!!!), there was actually a mouse in the apartment my parents were staying. When we complained we were told it was the country and we have to expect that --I don't think so!!! We tried to find another resort or motel, anywhere else to stay but we couldn't find a thing and because there were so many of us with kids we did not wan't to disappoint them by going home so we stuck it out and made the best of it. To put it the best, it was actually like camping without a tent and we would have been better off at the campground down the road.

• Liked — the view from the lake
  • Disliked — dirty, dirty dirty!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank CAVNY

Travelers are raving about these Diamond Point hotels

USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

This was the WORST vacation we have ever had!

Two adults and two teen age boys driving 4 1/2 hours to a complete DUMP! Never again will we even think of venturing out to lake George...we are afraid all the places in that area are run down and dumpy like the Thunder Bird.
The website pix were Very MISLEADING and I should have known there would be a problem when they demanded a check in full to clear before the stay...they did not want credit cards...that shows they have many issues!
Why can't these people invest some of their earnings into some upkeep! We had to deal with broken beds....no AC...terrible flies everywhere, musty rooms and filthy bathrooms. Total vacation-nightmare to say the least!

Stay clear or at least stay at the Howard Johnson's in the village...that looked clean and had a nice restaurant...TBird only had a dirty pool, moldy floors and substandard amenities.
The view of the lake was nice but you can get that with just driving by ~ please don't waste your time and money at this out of date-disappointing-so called resort.

Stayed August 2006
3 Thank anafreak
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2007

Many "resorts" at Lake George are not top luxury resorts, especially if they're $1,000 for the week and on the lake. We don't mind old furniture or less than manicured lawns, but there are certain things, like a refrigerator if you are expecting one and an air conditioner in summer. We rented a one-bedroom efficiency with a refrigerator at the Thunderbird, and purchased $100 worth of food on the way up. After completely unpackaging we found that the refrigerator didn't work. We spent our entire first night transferring our things from one room to another to get a working refrigerator, only to find out that our air conditioner barely worked. I did not want to switch rooms again so we made the best of it. This air conditioner was so weak that it took about 4 hours for it to cool the room after we arrived -- and I use the word "cool" very loosely. Unfortunately, this was one of those rare weeks when it was in the 90's all week. Other than the living room rug being so filthy that I wouldn't let my son sit on, the unit was not that bad. The last straw was this: we came back from Great Escape at around 4:00 pm one afternoon hoping to rest up and cool off after a sweltering day, only to find that the maid had turned off the air conditioner which she was instructed to do if guests were not in the room! It would have been hours before the room was tolerable since the air condtiioner was so bad. When my husband complained again and the son of the owner came to our room and asked my husband to step outside to speak to him (I wonder what he had to say to my husband that could not have been said in front of my son and I??!!) When my husband refused he told my husband that if he had any further complaints he should say them with a smile on his face or we could leave. He offered to give us our money back for the days we had not yet stayed (we had paid for the full week when we arrived.) We took the money, cut our losses and went to a simple motel room at the Sun Castle and were very happy for the rest of the week.

Stayed August 2003
4 Thank maryLongIsland
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2007

We have been to Lake George over the Memorial Day week end and stayed at Thunder Bird for 2 nights. I booked this resort before reading the other reviews (which i do not regret at all), frankly it was total pleasure trip. This is a very nice place for what you pay (slightly cheap when compared to others). They have a nice beach (small though) and pretty comfortable suites. Agree that the suites are not really new but very decent enough to spend few days. The couple who run this place was nice and responsive. Altogether I would rate this place definitely above average, one down side was they were still working on the pool (which they informed while booking). Hopefully they will get that fixed soon.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank manil
Dix Hills
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2006

We sent a $245 deposit & had to cancel. They never returned the check but cashed it two months later. I've been talking to Martha about a refund but all I get is promises and no check. I see someone else's refund bounced. Surprise.

Stayed October 2006
6 Thank Dhmet
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2006

I can't believe that I stayed at the same hotel the other reviewers in this group. My husband booked this place without reading reviews, and after I had read some reviews, I have to say I was a little worried about where we were going.

I could not have been more pleasantly surprised when we arrived at this lovely, family-run, clean and friendly resort. No, it's not a fancy, five-star hotel. So, if that's what you're looking for, you're in the wrong place.

BUT, it is a wonderful motel, with basic but clean rooms, located just outside the town of Bolton Landing.

The motel has a cute and beautifully-kept beach right on the lake, with a great deck filled with sun loungers looking over the lake, and numorous boating rentals, including jet-skis, banana boat rides, tube rides, various types of motor boats rentals, and paddle boats.

The family who run the resort were nothing but polite and friendly throughout our stay, and treat every guest like old friends. The entire place has a warm, and welcoming feel.

We stayed there a few weeks ago, and even drove over two hours for the day this weekend to hang out and rent jet skis.

WE WILL DEFINITELY BE GOING BACK AGAIN AND AGAIN AND RECOMMENDING TO ALL OUR FRIENDS.

Give it a try!

• Liked — Staff and facilities
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Go jet-skiing early in the day. The lake is less choppy.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
#13 of 87 in Lake George
The Lodges at Cresthaven
The Lodges at Cresthaven
#27 of 87 in Lake George

Been to The Villas On Lake George? Share your experiences!