“Great vacation”

The Villas On Lake George
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Villas. Lenny and his staff was very hospitable and prompt.

Reading from the reviews of the other posters, I think your own experience would depend upon whether you get a renovated room, your neighbors, and the price you pay. Luckily our neighbors were super-nice and we got a better rate by calling the owner directly, instead of going through Expedia.com.

Pluses:
* Quiet and family friendly
* On the lakefront with plenty of seating
* Free kayaks and canoes
* Full kitchen
* Well maintained property
* Private BBQ area
Minus:
* Needs little renovation. No central A/c, old TVs, etc.
* No lake view from the rooms, unless you book the house for 12 people.

Overall great for the price. I would have given 4.5 / 5 if there was a choice.

Room Tip: * Make sure that you get a renovated room, especially the one's on the south side corner one'...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Villas On Lake George

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I am not one to complain but my 11 year old daughter said it very succinctly. This is a "dump ". If the pictures and the description were more accurate then I wouldn't even be writing this review. But they aren't which is why I am so angry and disappointed. The rooms were drab. Supposedly canoes, kayaks and other non-motorized boats were included in the price. However on one of the kayaks, the seat was broken, then we found that some paddles were broken as were the rowboat oars. It was dismal at best. The tv was a little tube tv from what appeared to be the 70's . The kitchen which was supposed to be stocked with utensils and pots had one pan and one small pot with barely enough utensils. It was all very pathetic to the tune of almost $300/ night. It was so disappointing that we left a night early. Had we not been with our children, my husband and I would have left that night but we didn't want to disappoint the kids. So buyer, beware! Find another place to rent. You will be much happier if you do.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Julie26555
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We just spent a week here and loved it! (This is not a paid advertisement though it may sound like one.) We had never been to Lake George before and did a tremendous amount of research in planning our trip to try and find the best accommodations with the right mix of features for our group. In the end you're always taking a bit of a gamble but this time it paid off! We had three families and we rented three of their townhouses right down by the water. The owners, Lenny and Sylvia, were so nice and accommodating with anything we needed. Their beach is perfect for the kids and it was so nice to just grab a kayak or canoe and go out on the water. Very family friendly with a great playground right near the beach so the adults could sit and relax while the kids ran between the playground and the water. The pool was perfect when the kids needed a change from the lake. Also perfectly located right between Lake George Village and Bolton Landing so not hard to get to stores or restaurants but secluded enough that you didn't feel in the middle of things. They have a variety of types of accommodations including a huge house (newly renovated) right on the water that sleeps 12. We would definitely stay at the Thunderbird next time we're in Lake George.

Some of the earlier poor reviews certainly do not sync with our experience at all. Lenny did say that they took over the resort after his parents passed away a couple years ago. So maybe some of the issues were due to that transition. But if any of these issues ever existed it seems they've worked them out and now have a well-run resort with friendly, attentive staff who made our vacation perfect. Thanks Lenny!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My cousin and I spent the past weekend here. I have to admit it was one of the few places that had a vacancy for this weekend. The reviews posted had me a little concerned, but then again I have been to several Lake George motels and some are pretty nasty.I called the resort and Lenny promptly got back to me to let me know what was available. Well what a surprise! Spotless rooms, a beautifully landscaped property, clean pool, lovely beach area. a marina right next door, and very helpful and friendly owners! I would recommend this place in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lori C
Reviewed August 3, 2013

As I read the reviews below, I find it hard to believe. My vacation experience at the Thunderbird was nothing short of perfect! I spent many summers at Lake George as a child and now live in Orange County, CA. My family still lives back east and we met in Lake George for our children to spend time together. From the moment I spoke with Lenny when making my reservation, I knew everything was going to be great... and I was not at all disappointed. In fact the Resort, the rooms, and the amenities exceeded my expectations and were far nicer than what you see in the pictures. My sister who stayed at another resort close by, wished she had stayed at the Thunderbird with us. I will definitely be staying there again on our next vacation and highly recommend this resort for families with children. The suites are accommodating and make you feel very at home. Thanks Lenny and staff for a wonderful trip!

Room Tip: My sister stayed in one of the suites with her 4 children that range in age from 7 to 17. The kitche...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We booked two rooms at the resort to spend just one night after our plane landed in Albany, on our way up to Inlet, NY. We arrived around 4PM and the office was locked. A fellow guest sitting on the porch, told us that the owner was out "getting boats in, due to some expected inclimate weather. Okay...we understood that. The owner appeared within 10 minutes and we got checked in. We spent the rest of the evening in Lake George enjoying the car show.

Our night was less than restful. We could year everything going on in either room beside us. On the one side, the guests came in late and clomped around their room for a while. The next morning when another guest left on their motorcycle....I am sure the "revving up" woke up anyone within earshot.

When we checked in, we noticed a coffee urn and condiments in the office, so thought the next morning, we could walk up to the office and get some, since there was none in the rooms. Wrong....the office was locked. In fact, it was still locked when we checked out around 9:30. We called the number that was posted on the office door, but no one answered and it rolled over to voice mail. We left a message and told them we would leave the keys in the room.

Not a good way to run a business. I

Room Tip: There are no good rooms...if they all have the lack of sound proofing we experienced.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Sunday, 4 of us rented a 18 foot power boat for 3 hours. There were so many problems with the boat it should have never be rented!!! Both seats were broken, Handles broken, trim gauge broken. The bilge pump worked thankfully or we would have sunk. With two certified boaters driving we made it back safely to shore. It would have been a different story without their expertise. What bothered us the most was the attitude of the owners not recognizing how dangerous the situation was. The boat should not be rented until everything is fixed including a new anchor that is big enough to hold a boat that size. I wonder where else they are skimping on money and service. It ruined a great day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
#8 of 9 in Diamond Point
Adirondack Diamond Point Lodge
Adirondack Diamond Point Lodge
#3 of 9 in Diamond Point

Been to The Villas On Lake George? Share your experiences!