“We had a great stay - poor reviews are old reviews.”

The Villas On Lake George
Reviewed August 8, 2011

My family and I just returned from a long weekend stay. I will say that after reading all the negative (and old) reviews - I was skeptical, but this place offered accomodations and the rental of water sports equipment which is what we were mainly looking for. When we arrived - we did a drive through. The place looked aged but so did alot of the other motels in this area (winter is not kind to anyone here). We checked in and we were greeted by the new owners. They bought the place about a year ago. They were very friendly and made us feel welcome right away. I'll be honest, I was still waiting to see the inside of the room (still having those bad reviews running through my head). We stayed in a double bed room in the motel side of the resort. They also offer larger suites and family size apartment style accomodations. When we entered - yes, it was dated but it was very clean. The bathroom was sparkling even though aged. We did have a wiggly toilet seat and did tell the front desk. It was fixed within an hour. The beach area is beautiful and the rental of water equipment is done right there. The equipment was very up to date and well maintained. The water tubing items hung nicely in the boat house and the kiyaks were lined up ready to rent. Because we went there wanting to rent jet-ski's - we did and enjoyed every minute. It cost $75.00 for a half our but my daughter and I went out together for that one price. It was well worth it. Top of the line equipment, a guide takes you out and stays with you in the water, so we were very comfortable being novices. We would definately go back here to stay - it's clean, it's a great price compared to other places we looked at, and the staff was wonderful. The only thing I can say bad about it is they did not supply shampoo or a cup to use after brushing your teeth. we had to run out that night to get it from a local store. If you can supply soap - you should at least give a plastic cup in the bathroom. There is no breakfast available but they gave us a couple of excellent recommendations. This place is a diamond in the rough - it's not the Hilton but if you're looking for a clean place to lay your head and have a good time in LG - I would definately recommend this place. We'll go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Blee169

Reviewed August 23, 2010

We stayed only one night out of the 3 we had booked. This place is a proverbial dive - though it seems they are working on it. Our room was disgusting, spartan, old-carpeted, and very far from the water - the bathroom particularly unpleasant. They were renovating rooms near us which looked promising. The 'free' rowboats and kayak come equipped with a bucket fashioned out of an old Tide container - so that you could bail out the water that was in there. Seems like no one takes out the free things except us! The tubing, power boats etc was extremely pricey - which I discovered after leaving this place for another toward Bolton Landing. For us, it was a hardship to not have any breakfast/coffee here - all food a drive away - not particularly relaxing. We do not recommend this place in any way.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank nicehotelsarenice
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed 5 DAYS. Because the website is vague we had low expectations. Partial lake view is a streach. However room was clean. Grounds is nice. Deck over boats has great view. My only complaint is the cost, but if you get past that overall it's a good stay compared to other Lake George motels on the water

1  Thank Les08844
Reviewed August 6, 2010

I've been going to the Thunderbird since I was 2 years old, and I still look forward to it every year. These reviews actually insult me, and I feel like no one gave this place a chance. Every year I've went the rooms have been clean. The service is excellent, and the owners are like family to us. Sure it isn't a 5 star hotel, but you aren't really going for the room, you're going for the beach, which is right on the hotel and is beautiful. You can rent boats, jet skiis, or go tubing. The hotel is also located near various shops and restaurants. I love the Thunderbird, and I hope to stay there for many more years.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank rawr4
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Let me start by saying that the water front area is pretty and the units down near the main house are nice. However, if you're not one of the few who get to stay down there, the alternative might not be what you expect. Their website doesn't really explain that only a few of their units look the way the pictures portray them. At $230 per night we were expecting something similar to that, but got something very different. We understood that Lake George is expensive in July so don't think we were expecting a palace. This place though was very much a dive motel once you step inside the average unit. We stayed there one night and then moved on. To be fair, the manager gave us a full refund so I commend them for that. The first unit she gave us was listed as two bedrooms, kitchen and living room with one bath. However, the reality was this place was more like a low end Manhattan studio apartment. It was extremely small. There was a futon couch that was as hard as a rock and no other lounge type chairs to sit in. The appliances and furnishings were all old, low end and the place contained almost no aesthetically pleasing characteristics. This unit was supposed to house up to 5 people but the rooms were so small it was more like a collection of closets than individual rooms. The living area was no more than 8ft by 10ft. I immediately asked for another larger unit. The manager agreed and took us across the driveway to the other building and showed us a larger unit. However, this unit had no additional places to sit (same futon and no other chairs) and was extremely dirty. When opening drawers we found large spiders, dead flies and the carpets were so full of dirt we couldn't let our son sit down on them. Our view out the front window was the row of units across the driveway. Standing on the porch our view was of a big tree and buildings closer to the water, the walk down to the water wasn't too far though and once on the other side of a large building it was quite pretty. That wasn't enough of a redeeming quality though. We packed up the next day and found a much nicer place. We had to pay about $600 more for the week, but the difference was extreme. We had a clean and cozy villa, right on the water, with lots of comfy chairs and a beautiful view of the water and mountains. Lesson learned. Don't trust pictures on the Internet.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2009

i have been going to the thunderbird every year for the past 13 years with my family. some years we get come with as many as 18 people and 6 hotel room while sometimes it's 9 people with 3 rooms. we have never had a problem with the service at the hotel. the rooms have always been neat and efficiencies have always been stocked. if we ever needed anything the stuff has always been helpful and friendly. it has a great lake side area and is nice when traveling with young children. we like to take out the canoes and rowboats with are included with the stay. if you want to rent a boat the services are available at this hotel. when we have a lot of people up we like to have a BBQ which is always nice. we intend to go back end of this summer or next year. the summer would not be the same without visiting the Thunderbird hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank animorpher
Reviewed August 25, 2008

After reading the reviews I was very apprehensive. We had 3 rooms and went with 9 friends. We had a WONDERFUL time. The grounds were beautiful and the staff was incredibly accomodating.Granted it wasn't a luxury room however our room was clean, the AC was fine and it had cable. We spoke to many other satisfied guests who told me they had been coming for years.
Will look forward to returning next year.
Stuart Z

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank luckypartsclerk
#3 of 9 in Diamond Point
The Juliana
The Juliana
#4 of 9 in Diamond Point

Been to The Villas On Lake George? Share your experiences!