“It's not "All Good" but lots of good times for a family reunion”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Deposit
Scott's Family Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deposit
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Summer help must be hard to find because the faces primarily seen are the Scott's. They work hard as they cook , clean , repair , entertain , give boat rides, drive the tour buses , operate the front desk, and do the bookkeeping. My wife had a dream that old man Scott came in the room and tucked her in before going to sleep. I started kidding that we were in the Twilight Zone and old man Scott was behind every face.

The good -
There is a wide variety of activities on the premises that kept all members of the family engaged in doing something. The lake is clean and beautiful. The boat rides were pleasant. Generally each meal had much to offer but there were some duds. Thankfully , we found the Scott family to be quite wonderful .

The bad-
If you did not sit at a center table you may have a very long delay before even being greeted for your food order. Scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes seemed like boxed mixtures. The water supply at the table was non-existent once you downed your first glass. Not until you were done with the meal did anyone come to give a refill.
The ugly-
The rooms, the cottages, the main building, and the entertainment hall . . . . while all are functional. They look and feel like they have done all they can to keep them up to simply a level of functionality and that's all .

Had not Mom underwritten 50% of the costs for each of the family members, I would have choked at the total charges we incurred. Even so , we really had a wonderful time which is what made this a 5 star event at a 2 star facility.

Room Tip: If going as a huge family , try to all get into one or both of the cottages.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BillKeal
There are newer reviews for Scott's Family Resort

Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you want serene beauty, great food and at a low price: this is it for your family.
It includes entertainment of quality with many free attractions, beautiful views and serenity.
Believe me, my family of 5 loved it.

Room Tip: Call them and ask for what you like; rustic but very clean and on a beautiful fresh lake in the mt...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SPORTSMANHOTDOG
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just returned from our fourth or fifth Labor Day Weekend at Scotts. Despite the fact that the family that owns and runs the resort were distracted with the prospect of an imminent risky cardiac operation on 86-year-old Ray Scott, activities and meals ran as scheduled though the Lakeside 4 band was whittled down to two and no one was available to lead line and square dances (Papa Scott's specialty).

The resort and its equipment is indeed a little worn though the rooms are clean and sheets and towels are freshened daily. Visiting Scott's is a bit like spending time with grandma and grandpa in the house the family has grown up in: it's always reassuring to see everything exactly as it was the year before--especially as so much of the place is freighted with happy memories for so many people. Discussing the topic of "change" at Scott's with other long time guests, we concluded that in our collective memory we had noticed only a handful of changes--some new sporting equipment, wireless Internet in the lobby, and (most importantly) wine and beer for sale to guests.

Everything else has remained virtually unchanged in the few years (and maybe even longer).If you like spending a couple of days the same way as your parents, grandparents, and even great grandparents might have spent their holiday, this place is for you! Considering the good food, great entertainment, opportunities for engagement, beautiful natural setting, crystal clear lake, and wholesome fun that the resort affords, the a weekend at Scott's is an incredible bargain.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank netwinkle
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I visited Scott's for a friends wedding and was presently surprised with the resort. Some of the negative reviews had me worried but after one night I realized most of them were foolish. The resort was much like I expected. It was clearly a lake resort that had been there for ages and has still more than able to satisfy and entertain guests. Anyone who had a problem might have expected a high-end modern hotel service but Scott's does a wonderful job of providing an experience that will be remembered and enjoyed.

The staff was very friendly and outgoing. Very helpful and went out of their way to please the guests. I stayed in one of the two lake houses which was able to fit the majority of the wedding guests who came for the weekend. The whole place was like a trip back in time. For the most part the resort was well kept to maintain the place and keep the old feel.

The rooms were nice, could use some updating and small improvements. Each room I was in seemed unique and have its own charm. My only issue with the rooms were the beds. Single beds were comfortable enough but the king size bed in my room was made simply be pushing two singles together. It was okay but the seem down the middle where they beds met was uncomfortable. I did enjoy the pillows. I had 3 on my bed, one full/stiff pillow, one thinner one, and one perfect pillow in-between. I enjoyed the mix in pillows because it helped get more comfortable.

The food was all included which was great. Everything I had was good. Lunch was not outstanding but good. Breakfast was great, all the basics were covered and made to order. Dinner was nice the night of the wedding, great prime rib. The first night we had a pretty nice BBQ. I would have liked to have some food out throughout the day. The meals were on a good schedule but, when the scheduled time was over, all the food was immediately removed until the next meal time.

The golfing was free as a guest which was wonderful (can never complain about free golf). There had been a lot of rain before so the course was really slow but in general if was a nice course. Well taken care of for a small place. Good variety in holes to offer a lot of different experiences.

I was golfing so I missed a lot of the scheduled activities but the show preformed was entertaining. The Bickerson's skit was hilarious and all the music was energetic and fun. The family really enjoyed it and all the guests had a good time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mister W
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My family has been coming to Scott's for over 65 years!! It's our little piece of paradise in the middle of the Catskill mountains. It's an all-inclusive vacation....meals, water sports, tennis, golf, dancing, hiking, sailing, canoe trips, kayaking, tubing...you name it!! Thank you for letting us "experience the fun"!!

Room Tip: There are separate cottages with lake rights...also hotel rooms in other buildings.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Caryl T
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I am sorry...the Scott family is VERY nice. The location is BEAUTIFUL. AND...it is an easy scenic drive from the tri-state area!!
The problem is that the Scotts have not put a DIME into this property since the 50's. I couldn't believe it. We had to LEAVE. That was a first for me!!! When you pull into a driveway at 3:00 on a Sunday in July and there is NOT A SINGLE CAR there (not one...) you know you're in trouble. Ditto with the dining Hall. We were the only ones there. It was dismal.
Our room was straight out of a Brady Bunch episode and not clean...sorry. It pains me to say it, because the family is NICE. Just...I don't know...happy to let their business die off with their patrons.
I guess it was wonderful in the 50's. But now...PLEASE save your money and go elsewhere. We left 2 days ahead of schedule and went to our favorite family resort in the Poconos....an hour south of there.
I really hope someone buys it and soon. It could be great again...
Ellen

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank samdanmom
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We were recently there for a family reunion. When all there we were 28 in number. We also had 8 children ranging in age from 3 to 12 years old. Everyone had a great time. Every day was full of activities, with the option of participating or just relaxing with a book by the lake. The activities ranged from water tubing, water skiing, golf, bocce, volley ball, dancing, etc. There was also a children's program every day which kept the children busy and having fun. They also offer a large game room with 4 bowling alleys, a shuffle board, billiards and a staffed icecream fountain for a rainy day. All meals were included in their dining room, which provided a nice time for us all to get together. In the dining room, at the front desk and throughout the day at all parts of the facility the staff was aleays freindly and helpful. It offered a great way for our family to get together and we will be back next year.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Bill W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deposit
Quality Inn & Suites Binghamton
#1 of 2 in New Milford
Grand Royale Hotel
Grand Royale Hotel
#10 of 13 in Binghamton

Been to Scott's Family Resort? Share your experiences!