“Consistently Very Good BBQ” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kentucky Greg's Hickory Pit
Ranked #1 of 97 Restaurants in Depew
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Buffalo, New York
“Consistently Very Good BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Went here this past weekend. My wife had the ribs with beans and fries and I had a combo platter of their pulled pork, smoked polish sausage with beans and coleslaw. Everything was delicious. The food here is great and is always consistent. The ribs are the best in Buffalo and the sides are wonderful. The service was prompt and our server checked back on us several times. Great BBQ !

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Upstate NY
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We brought our kids which maybe is a no-no based on the stink-eyes we received from both customers and staff...but it appeared to be just a dive in an old Rax restaurant. Restaurant was dark and not very clean, decor was blah and food was ok. Nothing special. Add that to the uninterested staff, and we won't recommend this restaurant.

Visited July 2012
Chaska, Minnesota
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

The staff was amazing. Very attentive and there when you needed them while being freindly. We had the 2 way pork/beef platter and the ribs. They were good, but not great. We've had some great BBQ in FL and I think we were spoiled by them. I would agree that as I've read in other reviews that the greens were not great. The spicy vinegar was not quite spicy enough. In no way was this bad but just not great. I try to eat local resturants when traveling on vacation, but I kinda wish that I went to one of the chain resturants, as I am still burping BBQ from last night.

• Visited August 2012
“Best WNY BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

We absolutely LOVE Kentucky Greg's! The food is amazing! The price can't be beat. The service is excellent, and the staff is so, so friendly. You will more likely than not see Greg himself stopping by tables and cashing customers out.

Buffalo, New York
“Fabulous Ribs and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Finally went to Kentucky Greg's after all of these years. I have probably been to nearly every BBQ place in WNY at this point. As of today Kentucky Greg's are my favorite ribs out of all the BBQ joints and probably gave me the best overall experience. First off, the service is very good. I went during lunch hour mid week and I was lucky enough to arrive before there was a line out of the door. Always a good sign. Greg greeted just about every table while I was sitting and was busing tables.

As for the food I ordered the combo platter so I could try a bunch of things.
Starter:
Brunswick soup- This was very good. Chunks of bbq meats and potatoes.

For the platter I ordered the pulled pork, smoked chicken (dark meat), and ribs. Slaw and fried okra sides. On the table is the house made BBQ sauce and hot sauce. There were also two Kentucky Greg's own hot sauces that are in small bottles which looks like you can purchase. I tried them and they were pretty good. I preferred the jalapeno.

Pulled Pork- Typical. Good flavor. Would have liked a bit more smoke but tender and moist which is a must. In my opinion what differentiates good pulled pork from others is size of the pulled pieces and the bbq sauce. I felt that the pieces were a bit too pulled which doesn't allow you to taste the pork as much or experience the tenderness and moistness to its full potential. I was not in love with the BBQ sauce. I prefer a bit more vinegar and spice. So for me, the pulled pork was just good.

Chicken- I opted for the dark meat. This was basically a leg and thigh combo piece. The chicken was very good. Moist and flavorful. If you get the chicken, get the dark meat because it will be 10 times better.

Ribs- The best part of the meal. They were world class. St. Louis spares (KC circuit). The ribs had all of the characteristics that any good smoked ribs should have. Smoke, texture, moistness, and firmness. Most people believe that ribs falling off the bone is a positive attribute. This is false. Trust me, I watch and study world championship BBQ all the time. Ribs should be tender but you should be able to bite off the meat from the bone. So it should have tenderness and firmness at the same time. This combination allows for the great texture and mouthfeel you should experience when eating them. These ribs had wonderful smokiness. When you bite into these ribs you can see the beautiful pink smoke ring which is a sign of well manufactured ribs. The last dimension is how the ribs are prepared and finished. Depending on what city or where you eat ribs this will be different. These were spare ribs which are meatier and have a higher fat content. Most people are accustomed to babyback (Memphis style). The ribs are rubbed, and smoked. Because spare ribs tend to be a tougher cut of meat they are usually cooked longer to achieve the tenderness. This is why I'm so impressed with these ribs. You can obviously see the care and attention that go into them. The ribs are finished with a BBQ glaze. This is a key attribute for me. I do not prefer my ribs swimming in BBQ sauce. These ribs are done right. If you usually eat babyback, you will be blown away by these ribs, trust me.

The fried okra was probably my second favorite part of the meal. They were cooked perfect. Super crispy, borderline crunchy but very tender and flavorful. I dipped them in BBQ and put hot sauce on them.

Overall, this was a great BBQ experience. It is obvious that Greg was raised in Kentucky and not WNY. The dude knows what hes doing.

• Visited July 2012