Darien Lake Amusment and Water Park Campground
Eagle Bay, New York
“Convenient”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I honestly didn't expect anything special, so there was no disappointment. We rented one the RV's in the Apple Lake area of the campground, and it served it's purpose - a place to sleep and in close proximity to the theme park. The website advertises fire pits with all the RV's, but it's actually one every 5-6 RV's, so you really can't have a private fire. Half of the picnic tables and benches were splintered and broken. We arrived late (after 3am) and the electricity to the RV was off. We finally found the breaker and fixed the problem, however I would think that maintenance would have turned on the electricity for a reserved RV ahead of time, but if not then we should have been notified at check-in that we would have to do so ourselves. All in all for the 2 nights we stayed I can't complain, but if I were to return I would probably rent a cabin instead.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mark M

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2012

we just got back from a 3 night stay in the ontario RV section, trailer was clean and well maintained. We went to the park each day and pretty much walked on every ride including ride of steel, the only waits were in the water park as it was hot each day it was worth the 10 min waits. We stayed tues - fri so weekends might be different. The only issue we had was that the staff for the most part were rude and really semed liked they did not want to be there which is to bad as it has an affect on your fun level. I would recomend this place and will be back next year maybe to check out the cabins as they looked pretty nice.

Room Tip: if you book an RV ask for a newer model as some are older and need replacing
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is terrific. the service and staff are fantastic, the accommodation supervisor "Duyne" is super helpful. Highly recommended place, will be back again for sure.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ahmed A
Camillus, New York
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We just spent two nights in lake side cabin #18 and it was great. The pictures on the interent do not do it justice (and my photo taking abilities are not great). Cabin was spotless, plenty of room for two adults and 4 boys. Even had silverware, toaster, coffeemaker, plates. pots and pans. Also cabin has table on porch with 4 chairs. Buy wood on way into park, bonfire pit fun to use. Easy walk to park, would recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank FourUpstate
Illinois
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We went there for Father's Day on June 16, Saturday. It is almost a 2 hour drive which isn't easy with two small ones and a senior citizen. We were prepared though. We rented a cabana a week ahead of time near the Lazy River and the closest to the WATERPARK ENTRANCE to the parking lot. Well, they did not open that gate and my senior mother had to walk completely around the park and uphill a bit and through the entire waterpark just to get to the cabana! So much for handicapped parking and easy access. The children's area was closed almost all day long. That was terrible.The wave pool and the slides were great. Lazy river was fantastic and the kids loved the water so much they didn't even want to go to the car for a picnic at the picnic grounds afraid we would not return afterwards!!!
What made the waterpark shine was the staff. The ladies at the cabana check in were spot on and especially helpful. The lifeguards were on top of things and there were smiles and helpful folks all around. Even the apologies appeared real and heartfelt when an attraction was closed or temporarily suspended. The bathrooms, while wet, were clean.
NOW FOR THE UNEXCUSEABLE:
The staff of the Ferris Wheel. We stood in line with everyone else for over an hour while these 3 teenagers ran this ride. They were confused over what was going on and giving preferential treatment to people they knew or perhaps wanted to know. They were also very rude. 3 young men sat locked in the car awaiting to be let out whiel they flirted and joked with another group. Finally one of them, tired of waiting, unlocked the cart and they began to depart. The teenager in the booth reprimanded the guests on the loudspeaker! It was not a safety issue as the ride had been stopped for over 3 minutes at the time and was in no danger of moving along any time soon - at least not until the lady with her breasts exposed stopped laughing and calling herself a cougar and growling at the young boys decided to get out of her car with her friends.
Like I said, we waited, our kids getting restless and tired kept asking us to hold them. So we did, or they would sit on the railing with us supporting them. The point I am making is that they were in no way hidden. The were very visible, in fact one of the workers even smiled and said hello to my little girl.
When we finally got up to board - the kids got all excited again. The guy with the height pole looked them over and off we went. We sat down and locked the gates. That's when another of the 3 workers came up to our car and told us our 5 year old daughter could not ride the ride with her bathing suit on!!! A 5 year old! It was a Stars and Stripes swimmie with a skirted bottom.
THEY ALLOWED TWO LITTLE KIDS TO WAIT IN LINE< APPROVED THEM TO BOARD THE RIDE<THEN BROKE THEIR HEARTS AND MADE THEM DISEMBARK OVER A 5 YEAR OLDS SWIMSUIT. Mind you, the little twerp did all this with a smirk on his face as if this is the only place he has ever been able to exert control over another.
I was outraged. I could understand if it were a fast ride or even if she were less clothed than most of the teenage and older women not only on this ride but around the park. This was the FERRIS WHEEL!!! She is 5!!!!! Why let her board and let her 4 year old brother board then ask them to get off? Isn't that what the guy with the height stick is for, to screen? Ther was no danger here. It was awful.
There was a woman in front of us that had on shorts, no kidding, that were so tiny, you could see over half of her hipbones completely exposed, her rear hanging out the back, and a halter so her midriff and boobs were there for the world to see. These shorts would have embarrassed Daisy Duke! She had no problems being allowed to ride.
These 3 twerps saw my children and even spoke with them in line - the over an hour wait line - and never once mentioned or thought to say something. They didn't have the professionalism to even screen properly and stop my kids from boarding the car! I asked if they could overlook it just for the Ferris Wheel since we were already on board, that they had waited for so long and had never been to a park like this before. I mentioned we would return to the cabana we rented and put her shorts on over her SKIRTED bottom but couldn't he just allow this one ride? The twerp looked into my little girl's eyes and clicked his tongue while he shook his head. Really? My heartbroken kids had to get off the ride!!!! He didn't even offer to allow us to come to the front of the line if we went, changed her, and returned. It was RIDICULOUS.
My husband and I kept our cool because our children are the most important thing in this equation and we did not want to further upset them. I was LIVID! I still am. This young men could have used common sense and professionalism but CHOSE NOT TO!!! This is the reason people have turned away from Darien Lake in such laarge numbers. It is not the place - it is the mindless people they employ most times.
We did not go back to the rides and games at all because of this. We remained int he waterpark where the service was great.
We may or may not return. Our kids want to of course and we love to see them smile. I think though next time we will seek another park or see how management responds to our letter of concern.
If clothing is to be judged for safety or whatever standard on a ride then it should be applied equally to EVERYONE - even the ones pubescent twerps wish to impress!

Room Tip: If the WATERPARK entrance is open - the Lazy River Cabanas are closest. Otherwise, try and get a cab...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Dot1023NY
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Darien lake is back! Wow just got home, the park and campground all updated back to its former glory. The park has redone landscaping, put in new rides and updated the campgrounds. From what i was told its just the begining. I'm very excited. Six flags bled the park dry and didnt invest a penny for almost a decade, and to see its comeback is great. The new rides are great for young kids just one step up from the kiddy rides. When we were there the water park was being resurfaced. So if your going soley to hit the water park area call ahead.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank goodfella999z
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I don't even know where to begin. The parking was a mess, we ended up actually parking in the employee lot. Then, 15 minutes or more waiting in line for a locker. There were 3 employees behind the counter, and only 1 was actually helping the customers. But, above all else, the worst part of the park was THE SMELL! I don't know if they just tarred the park or what, but the stench of the asphalt was so overwhelming that both my husband and I were sick. Nauseous. And it didn't go away until we went into the kids area, where there is no asphalt. That only lasted so long. There were few rides for kids, and the lines were long. Lots of closed rides. And we waited for so long in one line that we actually climbed over a fenced area just to get out, because we gave up. I can honestly say that I am SO bummed that we shelled out nearly 200 bucks on the entrance fee alone. Please, do yourselves a favor and keep driving.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hotel at Batavia Downs
Hotel at Batavia Downs
#3 of 12 in Batavia
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Batavia - Darien Lake

Been to Darien Lake Amusment and Water Park Campground? Share your experiences!