“Not Worth the Money”

Darien Lake Amusement Park
More attraction details
Owner description: For generations, Darien Lake has been a destination for families to create memories that will last long after vacation is over. With 45 attractions, a 10- acre water park and a variety of live shows and entertainment options- all just steps away from an onsite lodge, modern lakeside cabins, all new luxury guest houses and an extensive campground with glampsites and traditional campsites, guests will rediscover time together when they visit Darien Lake. Darien Lake has added millions in new attractions, entertainment, park and accommodations upgrades over the past two years to give guests limitless fun and unbeatable value.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

It's sad to say this park is not what it used to be. We went on the Friday before Labor Day and were quite disappointed. Half of the park was closed! We ordered two fried doughs and it seemed like it took an eternity for them to be made. Our friend ordered a funnel cake at another stand and got something that tasted like it was sitting there for a week. Things are not cheap at Darien Lake, so they should at least taste good. The midway reminds me of a weekend fire hall carnival where the games are expensive and the prizes are trash. The bathrooms were in need of cleaning! Ughhhh. I also couldn't believe how dark the park was at night. Since many of the rides were closed, they didn't have lights in many sections of the park. It was scary. I hope they can get their act together. I would hate for our area to lose this attraction.

1  Thank GTCDeb

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were at the park Labor Day weekend.
We thought it might be busy but were surprised that getting on most rides was quick. I had not been to the Park in probably 10 yrs and couldn't believe how dirty it was. There was garbage throughout landscaping and the water areas leading up to rides. The grounds keeping was sad and not attractive. There were a variety of rides that were closed and also one water slide and one of the main water attractions was closed. Bathrooms were not clean. Very disappointing. The water slides were not managed well. One attendant at the top trying to man all three slides ( the 4th closed.) Thus the wait to get a tube, and down one slide was over a half hour. water attendants addressed patrons on not wearing appropriate clothing then let them go through anyways only to let the attendant at the top of the slide have to readdress the patron and hold up the line even longer. No team work or backing each other up as employees. Also staff on the one ride not assisting with handicapped riders. I was ready to break the line and go assist this family as teen attendants just looked on. Shame on management for not training these kids how to appropriately assist. Maybe it was just end of the season that was bad, but it would appear things have gone down hill from years ago. in regards to management and standards.

2  Thank Narda G
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have been going to this park for more than 25 years and the whole family has had season passes for nearly all those years. I noticed some downsliding last year but this year is worse than terrible. It seems as if management is intentionally running it into the ground.
The park is simply filthy. The kids that clean the washrooms and all areas are working very hard, but they are run ragged. They are disheveled and clearly burned out. They say they work 10-12 hours a day with no days off.
Maintenance is the same way, the employees a working but it seems as though there must be someone new in charge of maintenance who doesn't see what's in plain sight. Nothing has been painted, rides are rusty, wooden fences and landscaping is peeling or rotted.
Management failed to hire sufficient help to operate the rides and food stands or even maintain security. The ride attendants are clearly tired and overworked. They get surly but I guess I understand.
There has been days that I have not seen security at all and most days only one guard. Ironic that after the Boston Marathon the management decided to stop checking bags into the park so to create a very dangerous outing.
The number of obnoxious drunks is also worse than ever... maybe because of the minimal security and lack of back checks.
This is advertised as a family park, but the filth, burned out employees, drunken patrons (say nothing about the violent, drunken concerts) makes it anything BUT family friendly.
Fire the whole management team!!! And bring back the people that were there 2 or 3 years ago.

3  Thank Tom H
Reviewed August 30, 2013

August 24,2013
Make sure if you go to the park it's not the end of August. The college kids went back to school
this weekend.. Ten rides were closed dut to "being understaffed. There was not a prorated sigh for admission price at the enterance for the rides being closed, it was still full price.
I filled out a compliant form at guest relationship office, its not a week later no contact.
What kind of business takes your money, and does not provide the full service?????????????
I paid for 6 people to get into the park..............very dissapointed in lack of caring by Management at Darien Lake BUYER BEWARE YOU DO NO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

1  Thank mamafama
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We only spent a few hours in the park between our arrival in Darien and concert time, so I didn't get to ride much. Soft drinks were overpriced as was the admission. Oh, and surprise! It says on the website that park admission is only 15 with a concert ticket, but that's only if you buy online in advance. Day of the show it's 20. Oh well, at least you get free parking.

I had time to ride three things while at the park. "Ride of Steel" was super scary and fun. "The Mind Eraser" was awesome too. (I love inverted coasters.)

If "The Predator" roller coaster is called that because it simulates the experience of a large carnivore grabbing you by the back of the neck and shaking you until you're dead, then the ride is aptly named. Seriously, I didn't think it was fun at all and I recommend avoiding it.

Staff was good but left a bit to be desired.

Overall it was an okay park, but I wouldn't make it a destination unless I was going for a concert.