“Beautiful and Relaxing State Park”

Stony Brook State Park
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Dansville
More attraction details
Owner description: There is a wide variety of recreation available at this scenic park including hiking, camping, tennis, swimming and hunting.
Reviewed July 2, 2012

For the last several years, I have organized a church family outing to Stony Brook. Folks look forward to it each summer. We enjoy a group picnic, then wade upstream and sit directly under the waterfalls. Lots of photographs and laughs. All ages enjoy the cool water on a hot day. Be sure to wear water shoes or an old pair of tennis shoes, and watch your step. The river bottom is slippery in places. There are men's and lady's changing rooms and rest rooms. Lots of picnic tables, grills, and areas to play.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Every wensday myself and my fiancee try and go to a different state park in New York, I think this is my favorite one so far. First of all I don't like to share so get to the park early and beat the crowds for better picture and a very tranquil swim. I swear we got there at 10 had our fun but when we were walking back around noon every spot was full and it was a wensday! If you love nature this is going to be a great place for you to visit. The water falls are so much fun to swim under walk in and just enjoy. There are plenty of spots to use as natural water slides to! I truly had a blast here. The hiking is also very easy not to difficult. If your able I say just walk in the water it's so refreshing. Enjoy!

3  Thank Irish311
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have a lot of good memories of coming here growing up. There are several waterfalls and plenty of places to jump in the water and cool off. There are numerous trails and the area is really quite beautiful.

When you're all done you can hit the burger/ice cream place (inside the park) before hitting the road.

As others have pointed out the pools are closed. i wouldn't let this keep you from visiting the park, though I did used to enjoy swimming in them.

1  Thank Josh S
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This park is not as well known as the nearby Letchworth, but definitely worth a visit. Nice waterfalls and not as crowded as Letchworth.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

only an hour and a half from Rochester, the park is a nice hiking and photo venue. The marked hiking trails straddle the creek, where there are some neat little water fals and swimming holes.

Note, it can get very busy on summer weekends, so plan accordingly. There were a few birthday parties and other happenings when I was recently there, so kids and people all over the place. 10 minutes of hiking and the noise faded away.

Nice place to camp also.