“Not worth the money”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cuddebackville
Deerpark / New York City NW KOA
York, Pennsylvania
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed here over the 4th of July and paid $90 per night for an RV site that was listed as 50/30 amp. However, there was only a 30 amp hookup, and the voltage was so low that I'm not sure we would have even been able to run a single air-conditioner. The swimming pool is very small, not nearly large enough to accommodate the size of the park. The playground is very old, with broken equipment, and some of their buildings are in disrepair. The bathrooms are nice, but there was no hot water for the showers in several of them. It's also a difficult place to maneuver larger RV's. It's also a very noisy campground, with sites crammed very close together. The bottom line is that there are many independent campgrounds that cost half of what they're charging that are much nicer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mark I
Deerpark_Staff, Owner at Deerpark / New York City NW KOA, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We agree that the playground and pool area needs to be expanded and updated. We hope that we will be able to make these improvements for the 2015 camping season!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Stony Brook, New York
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Paid for and promised a site "ON THE RIVER". Drove 3 hours to find out the site is not on the river. The only time we saw the river was walking to the OUT OF ORDER bathroom. Complained and they gave us 8 pieces of woods as a make good. All sites on the river are cramped and right on top of each other. Pretty much camping in a field. Talked to other campers next to us and the same thing. They said it is really going down hill there. Picture is our "on the river" shot. Can't even go in the woods. No trespassing signs up about 25 yards in.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank ken A
East Islip, New York
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We were there May 2014 and I most definitely could have stayed much longer. The campground is pretty, it's clean, staff is friendly, lots to do on their grounds or just relax by the river if you have a river site. The campground is currently doing some updates so enhancements are on their way. I didn't give this campground 5 stars because I find their cabins to be expensive when compared to similiar campgrounds in New York and New Jersey that I have been to. I think they can lower their prices to be more comparable to their competition. However, if afordable to you, I highly recommend it and if you are camping in a tent - you must visit this campground. Also their bathrooms are like home. Private and spacious with a heating lamp.

Room Tip: Try to reserve a river site.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yolanda c
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This was our first trip with our travel trailer. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The gentlemen that showed us to our site also helped back us in. The kids had a ball on the huge jumping pillow. The bathrooms were great...very clean. I loved the fact that the bathrooms were set up as individual bathrooms, not just one big building with a row of toilets, a row of showers, and a row of sinks. The showers were free, and there were no buttons to keep pushing to keep the water on. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank c m
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This campground is very clean, beautiful and all over fun. Had a lot of amenities (pool, crafts, breakfast, cafe, jumping pillow). Most enjoyable was that we didn't have to do anything, once we arrived at our lodge. It was very clean, felt brand-new, and had everything and more than I was expecting.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank World_Traveler1865
Havertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I was looking for a KOA near me that is open all year round. This one was one of the closest. My husband and I were simply looking for a quick, relaxing getaway. On our way there a woman called to notify me that our Lodge key would be left in the cabin because "the maintenance man has to take his daughter somewhere". I didn't let that bother me. I wanted to focus on having a good time. Upon arrival we easily found our lodge but that was the last thing that was easy. The stairs weren't salted and were icy. Our plan was for me to cook dinner when we got there as a fire was started outside. I found 2 rusted and soiled frying pans, 2 pots the small one was rusted and the larger was mediocre at best. I was so upset but again decided I wouldn't let it end my good time. The "fully stocked kitchen" is not even half stocked. There was only one steak knife and that was the ONLY knife. No cutting board either. It was obvious that the cabin had been vacant for a while and no one freshened it up. There were things still in the cabinets left behind by prior campers. With that being said we were able to start an outdoor fire in the awesome pit available. The temperature last night was in the high teens. Once the fire went out we decided to head in and get ready for bed. The beds were ok. Typical for KOA. There was ample storage. The bathroom was small and did not have a tub but that was fine for us. We woke up around 1am very cold. I had a sheet, blanket and bed spread on the bed. I checked the thermostat and noticed it wouldnt turn on. I checked the circuit breaker and that appeared to be fine. I tried lighting the stove and that wounldn't work. WE WERE OUT OF PROPANE!!!! At some point we went to sleep in our SUV. I made several calls to the emergency number provided and I kept getting a message that "the person at this number isnt taking any calls". I was so upset and cold and uncomfortable. When the sun rose and I wanted to take a hot shower I learned we didnt have any water. We went to the office at 8am to see if anyone was there. NO ONE. No posted hours of operation either. I saw a number on the door for the "Off-site Manager". I thanked God and called the number. Within 30 mins I received a return call from a woman named Shelly. She apologized and offered great customer service. She promised to give us a free 2 night stay certificate via email which I have yet to receive. I will follow up with her if I dont get it in a couple days. After speaking to her a man named Link/Lank came to fix our propane issue. He was very pleasant and apologetic. He said our pipes must have frozen and we should have left the water running all night to avoid that. No one suggested that to us prior.
I know I have said a lot. Read my prior posts. I am not a complainer. This was a bad experience. I will try it out again in the future if I ever get the certificate and hopefully I can change my view.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Gabrielasmadre
Deerpark_Staff, Manager at Deerpark / New York City NW KOA, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Gabrielasmadre, Thank you for taking the time to help us improve our campground. This has been Deerpark KOA’s first winter open to campers and your input has helped us to gain a better understanding of our guests needs and expectations. We have taken your comments to heart and assure that your next stay with us will be outstanding. We trust that you have received your certificate and look forward to hosting your future stay.
Smithtown, New York, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Campsites are well marked and easy to find. Campsites have a fire ring, picnic table. Our campsite was full hook up with 30 amp service, sewer, water, and cable tv. There are small playgrounds available, a pool, soccer fields, bass fishing pond, camp store, and bicycle rental. The roads are a mixture of paved and gravel. There are plenty of activities for the kids including a hay ride tour of the park. We had a great time at the campground. Bathroom facilities are clean and new. There is a bouncy mat for the kids to jump on. The campground has some chickens running around which adds to the country setting. The campground is about 1.5 hours from NYC so it is very close and easy to get to. Great park, we will go again.

Room Tip: Shoot for a campsite that is located on the loop next to the river. Those seemed to be the best. I...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Joseph D

Been to Deerpark / New York City NW KOA? Share your experiences!