“A Gem!”

Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Venice, Florida
“A Gem!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Delicious food, incredible desserts. We arrived before 5pm and waited on line, since reservations are not accepted. Service was excellent. Plenty of choices - I had scallops, which were a special for the evening, my nieces had Lobster Rolls, and my sister had the Seared Tuna. She requested that it be rare - it came out medium. The waitress quickly fixed the problem and the tuna was yummy. As wonderful as our dinners were, the dessert that I shared was the banana sushi - frozen banana encased in chocolate, with a fabulous caramel sauce and pistachio ice cream a la wasabi on the side. Definitely a winner.

• Visited August 2013

Congers, New York
“Excellent choice for fish!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I dined here with another couple recently, and were delighted to find this little gem. Fish dishes were fresh and plentiful, but it is a little on the expensive side, especially for a BYO restaurant.

THE SERVICE: The one drawback of this restaurant is that they don't take reservations. Knowing this ahead of time, we arrived what we thought was early on a Saturday night - 6 pm - only to be told that there was already a 45 minute wait. We waited about that long for a table outside on a small bench, but I could see this being inadequate to handle a crowd. By the time we were halfway through dinner, however, we noticed that many tables were already vacant and not refilled. So, if we would have come a little later, say 8:00 pm, there wouldn't have been a wait. Not sure if this is the norm for them on a Saturday night, but this is what we experienced. Once seated, service was extremely courteous and attentive. Dinner courses were paced at a reasonable speed, allowing adequate time for dinner conversation without feeling either rushed or drawn out. Perfection!

THE FOOD: The food was really very good to excellent. We started with a dozen assorted oysters, which were all yummy. I'm not an oyster connoisseur by any means, and many of them tasted the same to me, but they were all fresh and went down easy. For an appetizer, the table shared the grilled calamari, which were out of this world. For dinner, I had the sesame tuna, which was very good although slightly overcooked for my taste, and my husband had the cod, which was DELICIOUS! Dessert was a special treat as well -- we shared several, the standout being the "banana sushi", a chocolate covered frozen banana, creatively plated to look like sushi. The portions were very good, and we left satisfied.

THE ATMOSPHERE: This is a teeny-tiny place that can accommodate maybe 25 patrons at best. The decor is airy and refreshing, reminiscent of the ocean. It is a renovated diner car, and in this regard, it was done right. Located on a main road adjacent to the highway, it's a pity that it has a stand-alone location with nothing else in the immediate vicinity. A little strange that this "caboose" is on the corner of a residential neighborhood.

THE VALUE: Dinner here was pretty pricey -- upwards of $150 for the two of us, and it was BYO! I would say to save it for a special occasion, however, it's not exactly a special occasion kind of place because of the atmosphere. It's not quite fancy or special enough. This place is sort of caught in between -- a little too expensive to be a regular occurrence for most people, but not quite fancy enough for that special date night. I suppose if you skip the appetizer or dessert, maybe it becomes reasonable enough to frequent more often.

Overall, I really liked this place, but not sure if it was enough to make a return trip. Excellent, fresh fist, but not outstanding enough to make us come back and deal with the no reservation / sitting on the side of a highway to wait for our table experience.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Amush
Hartsdale, New York
“Small..But Excellent”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This restaurant, is a very small old diner, which was made over into a seafood establishment. The small size is made up by the great food however. It was a little pricey, but I definitely will return. My wife and I had the Lobster Roll, Scallops, and as an appetizer, we shared the Fried Clams. I must say that the food equals, if not surpasses anything that I may have gotten in New England in the past.

• Visited July 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Average.”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Very average food, Good deserts

We decided to pay a visit to this restaurant after searching for seafood places near Highland Falls, NY. We arrived right at 5pm and they were just opening. We had a very warm welcome and we were guided to our table by the window. This places can only serve 29 people at a time, without counting the high chairs at the bar (bar does not serve any type of alcohol, but they will very gladly open and serve your bottle of wine if you decide to bring one, we didn’t). The waitresses here do an outstanding job explaining menu with a big smile. Service is very, very slow. The environment is very clean, small, and a bit claustrophobic. For appetizer we had clam chowder, Portuguese fish stew, oysters, crab cake and grilled calamari. The clam chowder was very watery with lots of clams, it could be creamier. The Portuguese fish stew was very garlicky, served with spiced sausage and fish. The stew was good to taste. The oysters were a mix from west, and east coast we asked the chef to choose for us. It was fresh and delicious. They have a large selection of oysters here. The crab cake was a huge disappointment. It was very bready and extremely small for $13. It comes with a huge bowl of cole slaw and some sort of tartar sauce. I did not care for the sauce nor the slaw. The calamari was probably the best thing we ate at this restaurant. It was amazingly tasty, fresh and grilled to perfection. I highly recommend. For entrée I had a whole grilled Branzino. Branzino is a Mediterranean fish that due to being over fished is now farmed, cheap, and very popular in US restaurants nowadays. For $29 I thought the fish was very small, and poorly cooked. It was dry and tasteless. It was served on a bed of wild rice (that was extremely plain, over cooked, dry and not much flavor) and fresh green beans that were fresh and good. It was topped with some sort of tomato sauté that had not much taste. We also had the special, which were mussels cooked with Guinness beer. The mussels were average and the sauce was a failure. It came covered with very small bitter chopped onions and herbs. We ate a few clams until it got to the Guinness sauce and left the rest. The other member of our party ordered the fish and chips. It was a thick, short piece of cod that was apparently soaked in some creamy sauce before battered. It was good, but not enough for $30. The presentation was very rustic and original. The deserts were the big hit of the evening. They have this banana sushi that is simply delicious! They freeze the whole banana after covering in chocolate and nuts. They slice it and serve with a side of pistachio ice cream pretending to be the wasabi. Very clever and beautiful dish. It is served as a sushi plate with chops sticks. Delicious!! Bottom line: Pretentious value of meal for what you get, great hospitality, happy and professional waiters, very slow service (we believe it’s due to small kitchen putting out food slowly…), average pricey small portions entrees, good calamari, and outstanding deserts. Great for a romantic dinner. Will not miss or crave their food anytime soon.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank CARCAMANO
New Haven, Connecticut
“A Hidden Gem”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Took a Sleepy Hollow mini vacation and went to the Ocean House Restaurant not far from our B&B. we love fish and thought we would try this. At first glance it doesn't look like much--very small place with not many tables. But the quality of food was great. We happen to be craving shrimp scampi and altho it wasn't listed on the menu, the chef was able to make this special for us! Nice deal. We had started with New England clam chowder which was good, then had the shrimp scampi with wild rice--delicious & beautifully plated. Would go back again when I'm in the area.

My only recommendation is to either make a reservation or go before 5:00 PM because it can get very crowded.

• Visited July 2012