“The taste of the food was surprisingly...”
Review of Umami Cafe

Cuisines: American, Asian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed October 17, 2010

The taste of the food was surprisingly bland. I had the mac n cheese as an appetizer, which wasn't anything special. The panko bread crumbs were just thrown on top, not baked in like I thought it would be. It was like eating dehydrated mashed potatoes with chives mixed in.(yum yum...)

The dumplings were boiled and throw in a soup broth with salt and pepper. Absolutely NO taste what-so-ever. A packet of ramen seasoning would be more flavorful...

1  Thank manduhchow
There are newer reviews for Umami Cafe

Reviewed March 16, 2010

We decided to try Umami as a new spot for a date night after seeing their menu online and they did not disappoint! We each had an app & entree & we took dessert home (and some of their delicious take out mac and cheese for our babysitter!). I would absolutely go again just for the cold sesame noodles and peking duck quesadillas (not greasy at all, just full of flavor!) or I it be great to go with a small group and grab a pitcher of Sangria and try all of their apps! The seating is a little close and limited and they do not take RSVPS - but all of these things are worth it for the food.

Reviewed November 12, 2009

It is a rare place that my husband, son and I all want to go for dinner on a regular basis. My son likes the fun kids menu on cards placed inside view finder toys. And he looks forward to their selection of ice cream from The Blue Pig ice cream shop. The menu is diverse but has one thing in common, quality fresh ingredients and lots of flavor. I always start with the Sushi style salad with fresh carrots, cucumber wedges and sesame ginger dressing . We have ordered almost everything over the past year and a half, and liked everything. I suggest a meal of small plates the first time you visit. They offer a French white wine by the glass at a very reasonable price. I have found it pairs well with anything on their menu. Their prices are so reasonable that we never feel guilty about an impromtu visit on a weeknight in place of take-out.

Reviewed October 8, 2008

I went to Umami Cafe for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. It was relatively easy to find, and parking was not a problem on a Friday night.

I liked that you can order small plates of food and have more control of what you're eating and how much you want to spend. Some of the pricing was a little odd though - we ordered Cubano Spring Rolls as an appetizer, and for $8 only received four very small rolls. I ordered the Truffled Mac and Cheese small plate as my main dish, which was $6 for a decent sized portion that I could barely finish. The food was generally well-prepared and pretty good, though we didn't have anything that was an absolute standout. Beer selection could be improved. The service was prompt and courteous.

Overall this is a great restaurant if you're looking for reasonably priced but unique food in a casual atmosphere. I'll definitely go back.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed May 17, 2008

the appetizers are amazing, but not too many of the main courses are great. the garlic ahi is the only main course that we love, but i don't think we've ever had an appetizer short of delicious there. OH! and the kids menus are in viewfinders!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook