“Decent place to stop over, a little pricey”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Croton on Hudson
Alexander Hamilton House
Reviewed September 14, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at the Alexander Hamilton House. We enjoyed the innkeepers, Cyd and Autumn, and also enjoyed the breakfasts - both days the food was yummy and just enough to fill us up. My husband does not eat eggs, so one morning he had to suffice with fruit and a biscuit or cereal since the main dish was a great coddled egg. Our room was simple and pretty much what we expected from the website photos. We loved having the wireless internet, and the honor bar in the hall was good for quenching our thirst in the middle of the night. The room and bathroom were clean. The decor was a little too "Victorian-y" for my tastes, but my husband thought it was great. We enjoyed the other guests in the morning, but saw nary a hair of them at other times - just as we would have liked it. The only downside is we would have liked to use the pool, but it did not appear to have been cleaned for a while - probably because we visited after Labor Day. I would recommend this B&B if you are staying in the area, but it is a little expensive for what we felt we got - so we would likely look somewhere else before booking here again. If you are in the area, we recommend checking out the Van Cortlandt Manor property. It was quite close to the inn, and was great for a morning's entertainment/education.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SydneyRom

Reviewed September 3, 2006

My wife Marina and I just returned from our upstate getaway and we just had to stop by and review this quaint B&B.
We had a great time at the Alexander Hamilton house, the house itself is beautiful and very amospheric. This B&B however wins top notch rating with us because of the friendliness of the owners. If you are reading this Cyd, thankyou from the bottom of our hearts for your warm and cheerful hospitality. We would also like to mention that the breakfast is worldclass and personalized to your own dietary preferences. The option to choose between 8am, 9am and 10am breakfasts is really great as you can sleep in or get an early start.
The internet connectivity both wired and wireless in the rooms is also invaluable. In short, if you are looking for a peaceful time away from a stressful job look no further! A word of caution however, Croton on Hudson is a tranquil historical nook, if you want something other than peace and quiet make sure to bring a car.
There are a wide variety of attractions in the area, luckily the tome of knowledge handed to you when you check in to the Alexander Hamilton house assures that you do not have to worry about missing any of them.

In short, this B&B is top notch!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Icefyre
Reviewed August 13, 2006

I stayed at the Alexander Hamilton House for two nights. I could not have been more pleased. The entire experience was wonderful. The inkeeper, Autumn is so friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, warm, and cozy, and the grounds are beautiful. I will definitely be returning in the near future!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank Dgiorgio
Reviewed June 8, 2006

When I realized that I had successfully procrastinated in obtaining accommodations for myself, my son and my sister for our nephew's graduation from the United States Military Academy at West Point, I hurriedly applied my surfing skills to finding a B&B within an hour's radius of the Point. Because it was also Memorial Day weekend, and because the West Pointers had booked rooms three and four years earlier, there was nary a room at the inn.

Until that is, my sister-in-law, the cadet's Mother, searched through the WP Parent's room exchange website, and found that an unfortunate parent had to cancel his reservation at the Alexander Hamilton House in Croton-on-Hudson, leaving him on the hook for a substantial guarantee.

I did my good deed for the day by taking that off his hands and at the same time solved my housing crisis, which would have led to family crisis, had our little group not been in attendance at graduation.

So with little foreknowledge and few expectations, except for the peculiar thought that I would be staying for several nights in a city with two hyphens in its name, I arrived as the advance scout at the Alexander Hamilton House on Thursday afternoon.

I was immediately greeted warmly by the manager, a particularly helpful and gracious young woman whose name, Autumn, belied her spring and summer brightness.

Throughout the stay we were made comfortable and in charge of our day. The first rule of bed and breakfastry in my estimation is that the innkeeper and the staff remain on the edge of earshot when needed, and out of sight when not. At this, the staff at the Alexander Hamilton House excelled. If we needed something, they were always there with the solution. Otherwise we were left to our own devices, which is as it should be.

Barb, the Innkeeper, (anybody who has been doing this for 25 years is entitled to a Capital letter), served up small gourmet plates every morning, along with fresh fruit, breads and biscuits, coffee, tea, juice and if one asked, the morning news.

On Saturday morning when those of us who were headed to the Point had to leave in the wee hours before breakfast was served, Barb arranged for each of us to have a small basket of appetite-assuaging goodies to take along.

I could go on, as you are probably painfully aware, but I will close with this comment. The house, its Victorian construction and its appointments impressed my son, an 22 year old skilled veteran of the night scene in a hot and edgy ATL. Truly a cross-generational and trans-epochal compliment.

Good work, all.

Beam me up, Queenie, I'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2005
1  Thank jacklrock
Reviewed April 3, 2006

After our wedding in Tarrytown, my wife and I wanted to spend the night in a beautiful place before we embarked on our honeymoon. We arrived at night and were met by copious homemade cookies in the kitchen. The inn is beautifully appointed and has so many lovely knick-knacks: one could spend hours exploring them all. The bridal suite was equally well-designed. The two-person jaccuzzi was a welcome feature after hours of dancing in new shoes. The room has a fireplace and was already stacked and ready to light. Scones, muffins, poached eggs and bacon were brought to our room in the morning and were artfully prepared. Cyd was an amazing host. She was cheerful, informative and willing to please. Simply put, other innkeepers should take lessons from Cyd. Go! Go often! Send Friends.

• Stayed: February 2006
2  Thank DHExplorer
A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed February 22, 2006

I recently stayed at the Alexander Hamilton House in Croton-on-Hudson, 40 minutes away from New York City, the Alexander Hamilton House was truly a wonderful experience. From the intricate details in the room to breakfast in the sun porch, I enjoyed every minute of it. The house is cozy, intimate and fun. Most over all your host Barbara and Cyd are wonderful. Ce sure to drive as it is hard to get around. Also, summer is the best time to go as they have POOL. There's lots to see in the area, Tarrytown, Croton Dam and much more.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed January 15, 2006

My wife and I wanted a weekend away to escape from the craziness of every day life. We found the Alexander Hamilton House to be a perfect solution. The Inn was beautiful in a beautiful area with the most hospitable Inn Keeper.

We would highly recommend it.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bear Mountain Inn
Bear Mountain Inn
#1 of 1 in Bear Mountain
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester

Been to Alexander Hamilton House? Share your experiences!