“West Point Graduation”

Alexander Hamilton House
Atlanta
“West Point Graduation”
Reviewed June 8, 2006

When I realized that I had successfully procrastinated in obtaining accommodations for myself, my son and my sister for our nephew's graduation from the United States Military Academy at West Point, I hurriedly applied my surfing skills to finding a B&B within an hour's radius of the Point. Because it was also Memorial Day weekend, and because the West Pointers had booked rooms three and four years earlier, there was nary a room at the inn.

Until that is, my sister-in-law, the cadet's Mother, searched through the WP Parent's room exchange website, and found that an unfortunate parent had to cancel his reservation at the Alexander Hamilton House in Croton-on-Hudson, leaving him on the hook for a substantial guarantee.

I did my good deed for the day by taking that off his hands and at the same time solved my housing crisis, which would have led to family crisis, had our little group not been in attendance at graduation.

So with little foreknowledge and few expectations, except for the peculiar thought that I would be staying for several nights in a city with two hyphens in its name, I arrived as the advance scout at the Alexander Hamilton House on Thursday afternoon.

I was immediately greeted warmly by the manager, a particularly helpful and gracious young woman whose name, Autumn, belied her spring and summer brightness.

Throughout the stay we were made comfortable and in charge of our day. The first rule of bed and breakfastry in my estimation is that the innkeeper and the staff remain on the edge of earshot when needed, and out of sight when not. At this, the staff at the Alexander Hamilton House excelled. If we needed something, they were always there with the solution. Otherwise we were left to our own devices, which is as it should be.

Barb, the Innkeeper, (anybody who has been doing this for 25 years is entitled to a Capital letter), served up small gourmet plates every morning, along with fresh fruit, breads and biscuits, coffee, tea, juice and if one asked, the morning news.

On Saturday morning when those of us who were headed to the Point had to leave in the wee hours before breakfast was served, Barb arranged for each of us to have a small basket of appetite-assuaging goodies to take along.

I could go on, as you are probably painfully aware, but I will close with this comment. The house, its Victorian construction and its appointments impressed my son, an 22 year old skilled veteran of the night scene in a hot and edgy ATL. Truly a cross-generational and trans-epochal compliment.

Good work, all.

Beam me up, Queenie, I'll be back.

• Stayed May 2005
1 Thank jacklrock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 3, 2006

After our wedding in Tarrytown, my wife and I wanted to spend the night in a beautiful place before we embarked on our honeymoon. We arrived at night and were met by copious homemade cookies in the kitchen. The inn is beautifully appointed and has so many lovely knick-knacks: one could spend hours exploring them all. The bridal suite was equally well-designed. The two-person jaccuzzi was a welcome feature after hours of dancing in new shoes. The room has a fireplace and was already stacked and ready to light. Scones, muffins, poached eggs and bacon were brought to our room in the morning and were artfully prepared. Cyd was an amazing host. She was cheerful, informative and willing to please. Simply put, other innkeepers should take lessons from Cyd. Go! Go often! Send Friends.

• Stayed February 2006
2 Thank DHExplorer
Reviewed February 22, 2006

I recently stayed at the Alexander Hamilton House in Croton-on-Hudson, 40 minutes away from New York City, the Alexander Hamilton House was truly a wonderful experience. From the intricate details in the room to breakfast in the sun porch, I enjoyed every minute of it. The house is cozy, intimate and fun. Most over all your host Barbara and Cyd are wonderful. Ce sure to drive as it is hard to get around. Also, summer is the best time to go as they have POOL. There's lots to see in the area, Tarrytown, Croton Dam and much more.

Reviewed January 15, 2006

My wife and I wanted a weekend away to escape from the craziness of every day life. We found the Alexander Hamilton House to be a perfect solution. The Inn was beautiful in a beautiful area with the most hospitable Inn Keeper.

We would highly recommend it.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 15, 2006

The inkeepers at this B and B were so accomodating - from picking us up from the train station, showing us right to the gorgeous dam since we didn't have a car of our own with which to explore, to providing us with a plethora of information about the town, house, our room, and things to do - our one night stay at Alexander Hamilton House was so much more than we expected. Loved the Library Suite but after exploring the house, would come back again to try out the master bedroom in the attic.

• Stayed January 2006
Reviewed January 2, 2006

The Alexander Hamilton House is a beautiful B&B. We would highly recommend it: we stayed two nights in the Turret Room and we loved it!
Syd, the innkeepster is very cool. She made us breakfast just as we liked it and everything was possible! She can really cook; we especially loved the eggs.. She also baked us cookies when we left and arranged a shared taxi for us, because we had trouble getting to J.F.K. because of the transit strike then (we are very thankful Syd!!)
The house is like a museum, really beautiful, but with all the luxury and cleanliness you want on your holiday. We felt really at home there, and it was a relaxing stay. The house is quietly situated and there are many things to do, like visiting the Croton Dam. (where Syd took us; thanks again!) It's also a very clean place and we got plenty of fresh towels every day and even bathrobes!
In the Alexander Hamilton House you can relax and experience the beautiful scenery around the Hudson Valley, after a visit to the impressive and active city of New York without travelling far (like we did).

Voorheesville, New York
Reviewed December 13, 2005

I stayed at the A.H. House in September while on the road for business. I needed someplace clean and quiet that was relatively close to the establishment where I was conducting a training. I Googled Croton on Hudson and found this lovely spot. I selected the least expensive room, which was a smallish room but certainly contained all that I needed. Due to a traffic problem on the Tappan Zee bridge, I ended up delaying my expected arrival by 6 hours (and arrived long after the innkeepers had retired for the day). One call to Cyd, the inkeeper's daughter and all was resolved---she gave detailed instructions on how to get inside when I arrived, and left a "welcome kit" for me for my convenience. Room was very quiet, bed was VERY comfortable, charming, but had all the modern conveniences. Can't say enough about breakfast in the morning---the inn was busy and the table was full when I came down for breakfast, so Cyd had set me up in the kitchen at the breakfast bar w/ a full plate of everything she had made---fabulous gourmet breakfast!! and the newspaper in case I wasn't feeling chatty. Although it was September, it was still quite warm and the inkeepers had kept the pool open, so I enjoyed a nice swim before departing for my next destination.
Overall a lovely experience and one I would like to repeat with my husband when it's not a business trip!

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
Castle Hotel & Spa
Castle Hotel & Spa
#5 of 7 in Tarrytown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peekskill - Hudson Valley

Been to Alexander Hamilton House? Share your experiences!