“Great hospitality, food, and advice!”

Alexander Hamilton House
Tallahassee, FL
“Great hospitality, food, and advice!”
Reviewed January 23, 2008

The Alexander Hamilton House met our every need and exceeded any travel expectation we've ever had. They provided a notebook of information that directed us to nearby restaurants and attractions and cooked us delicious breakfasts (even accomodating our vegan diet)! We came for an interview and just needed a place to sleep, but we ended up touring the Hudson Valley and wishing the days were longer, all based on the recommendations in their notebook!

Cydney, the innkeeper, provides such hospitality and a friendly enivronment in a wonderful setting overlooking the Hudson. The house is easy to find, great to sleep in and great to wake up in. We look forward to returning!!

Their website is informative and accurate, but in our opinion undersells it. This is a place you must visit in person! www.alexanderhamiltonhouse.com

• Liked — Everything you want; close to everything you need; helpful and interested staff
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Philadelphia, PA.
Reviewed August 11, 2007

Just returned from a wonderful mini vacation in the Lower Hudson Valley (New York state) The stay at the Alexander Hamilton House , a B&B located in Croton on the Hudson, ( the middle of everything) ,was wonderful.
The innkeepers, Cyd & Rich, could not have been nicer. Upon our arrival we were given a tour of the house along with it's history. A book with directions to all the nearby attractions and restaurants was also provided for us to keep in the car. This pro
ved to be a great help in navigating the local roads.
Add to all of the above two terriffic breakfasts and one can get the idea that we highly recommend the Alexander House for your Lower Hudson Valley vacation....Jerry & Judy Kleger

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank judy2601
Central Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Let me start by admitting that I have almost no experience with B&B's, so this is the novice perspective.

I found AHH to be a curious little place, with many interesting design elements and amenities not found in traditional hotels. I though it was fun.

I stayed for 2 nights.

The breakfasts are on the light side but not bad at all and it was nice to meet other guests there and chat with Cyd before breakfast.

I never had any problems with the noise there but the walls/doors didn't look soundproofed at all (typical for B&Bs, as I my friends later told me). In the same vein - if you used to stay in large hotels, you probably need to keep an open mind. I can see how some people can be irritated by the same irregularities I found amusing (in-room safe not bolted down, furniture with cracks on it, etc.). If you want a sterile standardized environment AHH may be not be the right place for you.

Complains - None really. Well, there is no sign outside and parking can be tricky.

The verdict - I would probably come back if I'm in the area. The price may be a tad high but it's a relaxing stay, very warm feeling comparing to chain hotels.

• Liked — informal feel
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
alexhous, owner at Alexander Hamilton House, responded to this review, December 5, 2007
Two came to mind while reading this review:

1. This person seems confused about the fact that things are not like they would be in a hotel. This should not surprise the reviewer. For decades, travelers seeking an experience with a personable host, good cooking, and furniture with character, i.e. antiques, have chosen bed and breakfasts over hotels. Clearly they were not as comfortable with escaping the anonymity of a hotel, and they weren't expecting what a B&B was going to be.

2. The idea of the Lumberjack breakfast is confusing to me as a host. What fills one person is not the same as another in the morning. If this person had asked for more, we would have given them more. B&Bs are often subject to providing better service than a hotel, at a fraction of the price, but still, no one can read your mind. If you need something, speak up!
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 11, 2007

We stayed here a week for our honeymoon in the month of October. We stayed in the Master Suite and found the room to be nice, but the jacuzzi tub kept leaking and the water would not stay in unless you placed a cup over the drain. The innkeeper at the time was not helpful at all in recommending anything as far as nearby restaurants or places to horseback ride. The breakfast consisted of dishes that contained a lot of fruit, so if you prefer a hearty breakfast, this is not the place. For the price, I would not recommend this B&B.

• Liked — Room was nice
  • Disliked — Unhelpful
  • Stayed October 2003, traveled as a couple
2 Thank midnight1020
Reviewed February 23, 2007

I loved the Inn. I spent a week there and because the owner is a chef she kindly allowed me to watch as she created her delicious specialties. Her private valentines day dinner was the best. She arranged private tandem massages in the room. Her hand dipped strawberries are to die for. The innk-per Rich was also very helpful and gracious .I would like to return,.
Cat

• Liked — clean comfortable gracious
  • Disliked — parking car
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank catcro
Glenside, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 14, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at the Alexander Hamilton House. We enjoyed the innkeepers, Cyd and Autumn, and also enjoyed the breakfasts - both days the food was yummy and just enough to fill us up. My husband does not eat eggs, so one morning he had to suffice with fruit and a biscuit or cereal since the main dish was a great coddled egg. Our room was simple and pretty much what we expected from the website photos. We loved having the wireless internet, and the honor bar in the hall was good for quenching our thirst in the middle of the night. The room and bathroom were clean. The decor was a little too "Victorian-y" for my tastes, but my husband thought it was great. We enjoyed the other guests in the morning, but saw nary a hair of them at other times - just as we would have liked it. The only downside is we would have liked to use the pool, but it did not appear to have been cleaned for a while - probably because we visited after Labor Day. I would recommend this B&B if you are staying in the area, but it is a little expensive for what we felt we got - so we would likely look somewhere else before booking here again. If you are in the area, we recommend checking out the Van Cortlandt Manor property. It was quite close to the inn, and was great for a morning's entertainment/education.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you drive since the inn is not close to anything convenient walking distance.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SydneyRom
Brooklyn
Reviewed September 3, 2006

My wife Marina and I just returned from our upstate getaway and we just had to stop by and review this quaint B&B.
We had a great time at the Alexander Hamilton house, the house itself is beautiful and very amospheric. This B&B however wins top notch rating with us because of the friendliness of the owners. If you are reading this Cyd, thankyou from the bottom of our hearts for your warm and cheerful hospitality. We would also like to mention that the breakfast is worldclass and personalized to your own dietary preferences. The option to choose between 8am, 9am and 10am breakfasts is really great as you can sleep in or get an early start.
The internet connectivity both wired and wireless in the rooms is also invaluable. In short, if you are looking for a peaceful time away from a stressful job look no further! A word of caution however, Croton on Hudson is a tranquil historical nook, if you want something other than peace and quiet make sure to bring a car.
There are a wide variety of attractions in the area, luckily the tome of knowledge handed to you when you check in to the Alexander Hamilton house assures that you do not have to worry about missing any of them.

In short, this B&B is top notch!

• Liked — excellent hospitallity
  • Disliked — a lilttle bit on the expensive side
  • Tips/Secrets — The piano in the sitting room is out of tune but can still provide a great deal of fun!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
Castle Hotel & Spa
Castle Hotel & Spa
#5 of 7 in Tarrytown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peekskill - Hudson Valley

Been to Alexander Hamilton House? Share your experiences!