“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tagine

Tagine
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Description: Jonathan Pratt and Craig Purdy have known one another since 1971. They met at Peter Pratt's Inn and today they are co-owners of this iconic country dining landmark. When daydreaming about new food ideas and restaurants they'd like to run, discussion would return again and again to the idea of casual French food, like the two recalled from the early days of Peter Pratt's Inn. Craig would fill in the margins with stories about riding scooters around coastal India, or hitchhiking to southern Morocco. The foundation of any successful restaurant venture is a secure, affordable location. When the 120 Grand Street lease became available, Jonathan and Craig ran out of excuses for not doing this restaurant which had been in their thoughts for so long. So here it is-a blend of casual French with the surprising seasonings of North Africa-their long anticipated restaurant venture, Tagine.
North Westchester, Connecticut
“Great Experience”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a very good meal here on a beautiful summer night. The food was fresh and well prepared. My husband had the fish stew and I had the lamb tagine. Both were great. Service was perfect...seriously. Out waitress was knowledgable and professional. Our bread and drinks arrived promptly and our water glasses were never left empty. The food here is a mix of French and Moroccan. The menu is very well thought out and the specials were seasonal. Highly recommend.

Visited August 2013

New York
“Bistros are normally loud ...”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

... but not this loud. Dinner Friday night, late in the evening, dining room only half full and the noise level was disturbing. At our table of 3, we had to raise our voices just to hear each other. (There are no soft surfaces in the room, and that's easy enough to address.)

My rating would be higher based on the food. Pissaladiere was a great starter, perhaps too much rocquefort (never thought I'd ever say that!). Rack of Lamb special was superb. Frites, sadly, must have been sitting a few minutes before coming out, luke warm and limp.

Ask for the Provencal Rose that's not on the wine list. A beauty.

And guys, I know none of your restaurants are open for lunch, but perhaps you'd consider at Tagine? Maybe a couple days a week? Please?

• Visited August 2013
Tarrytown, NY
“Quality niche dining”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Bored of Italian, diner, Mexican, Chinese?

This French and North African cuisine restaurant has a lot of choices for varied palettes. From French classics, to its namesake tagines, two dinners will have me in for a third. As they say in France "Jamais deux sans trois." The lamb and chicken tagines are my favorite as the seafood one didn't have enough of North Africa to excite me. I would like more of the fruit in the tagine, but the depth of the lamb was quality. Each tagine comes with Harissa, couscous, and a grated carrot salad. A tagine is a dish cooked in a tagine, which is a conical clay dish (theirs has a cast iron bottom as a plate).

The have a tangini, with a pin, and it is gimmicky for a place that I felt should have a bit more dignity, but I also like that they don't take themselves too seriously. The décor is fun without going pretentious, and diners are in various levels of dress from casual to a few with ties.

Everyone will find something to come back for at this place. The intend to try out the bar space next time. It has a too-large space, but it looks good, and the wine/beer list isn't expansive. It is, however, well-chosen.

I drove a half hour for this and will do so again. As of July 2013, it still feels like a secret.

• Visited July 2013
Croton-on-Hudson, New York, United States
“a dissappointment”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Been to Tagine twice. Service is good but food is very inconsistent. Went this evening for a special night out. What a disaster. My meal was very good and my wife's was terrible. She ordered desert and the centerpiece was burned, flavorless crepes. I tired to order a cheese platter but was told the owner had stepped out, this was his passion and I could not have them at this time. Needless to say I was greatly disappointed and expressed my disappointment. I asked for a bill and it was delivered for a total of $119.00. I left a 125 gift certificate and an additional $20.00 to ensure the waiters were tipped appropriately.
We then left and were completely embarrassed as the waiter chased us down the street saying we only left $20.00...of course he had our gift certificate in the other hand.
All I can say is that Croton deserves better than this and if you do decide to go...buyer beware.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Dave A
Westchester County, New York
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Tagine is a wonderful addition to Croton on Hudson. Restaurant is comfortable and decorated nicely. The food is always good. Staff is friendly and owner often visits tables. They are particularly helpful with special menu requests. If you are in the mood for a bistro experience, Tagine is worth the visit.

• Visited May 2013