“decent”

Memphis Mae's
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I've been here a handful of times in the past 3 years

Pros:
Cider BBQ glazed grilled chichen
Pulled pork(no sauce)
Pulled chicken(no sauce)

Cons:
-BBq sauce has far too much smoke flavor, you will be burping it for days
-Mac N cheese is the worst I have ever had. its pretty much elbow macaroni with melted butter, cheddar, and bread crumbs melted on top. Maybe im just a snob when it comes to real mac & cheese.

Overall its okay but nothing special.

There are newer reviews for Memphis Mae's

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Great Food excellent service. Small seating area but they have takeout. Try the sampler platter and Fried Green Tomatoes

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Memphis Mae's is one of the few local restaurants where the food is always good and plentiful. Although everything I've had is good, I think the BBQ brisket is top-notch and I'm absolutely addicted to their fried pickles (crunchy and just a little bit spicy, absolutely not greasy). I've dined in (nice, friendly casual atmosphere) and taken out (relatively short wait; and sandwiches are packed as separate components so the bread doesn't get soggy), and it's always super good. Always my first choice when my taste buds are clamoring for BBQ...

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Went here before and after Blaze. Best triple layer Red Velvet Cake and great coffee! Service was excellent.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Traveling upstate and trying to find a place to eat we stumble across a review for Purple Monkey which brings us to Memphis Mae's. Good BBQ in Croton? Yeah right you might say but it's definitely worth going. I usually get my BBQ in the city or at places that have those rave reviews and are on food network but I'll go here instead any day. I'm a bit of a snob about things being smoked properly and I was hesitant to order anything and then we were told by the server (all of them incredibly friendly and make you feel at home) that everything is smoked on premise in the back. What?!? This just got even better - authentic smoked, various types of bbq sauces to try and the list gets better. For appetizer we've tried the hog wings (or as we like to call them pig lollipops) which are so juicy and crunchy all at the same time -highly recommend them with the cherry apple sauce, the Memphis pasties (one of these could actually be a meal but we split it 6 ways), corn fritters which were so delicious, hush puppies that are so light and flavorful you could easily accidentally eat a whole bowl full and one day I will and fried pickles which are out of this world and not the usual fried pickle. They're spears instead of slices and the batter is delicious.

Entree (we eat a lot) I've tried so far their ribs (dry rub is absolutely amazing and you can just put sauce on after if you want it which is also yummy), brisket falls apart as you're trying to eat it and I say "nothing wrong with that" and the pulled pork is absolutely out of this world. Smashed golden skins are very good and have a little bit of tang to them making them not overwhelming, mac and cheese is more like homemade macaroni pie and a real down south style, drunken yams lets you taste yam flavor without being overloaded with sugar just definite clear tastes in their bourbon, orange sauce and jump for joy if you get a piece that's a bit more brown because it's going to taste like the best caramel you've ever had. My little one is a huge fan of catfish now thanks to Memphis Mae's and declares the peach-apple sauce one of the best things ever - and there's been a lot of apple sauce in our time. The little one was never a fish fan before but it's the go-to now and that's gotta be saying something.

Selection of beers and soft drinks is great. If you're too full definitely order dessert to go, don't skip it. If they have the fudge cake bonus! Although please try the banana pudding bites, they are absolutely amazing and will make you think fried twinkies are now beneath you. Where have these been all my life? I could be selfish and let this all go by and hope it never gets too crowded but it's so good I have to share. It's a definite must-try.