“What a Disappointment!”

Description: (914) 788-9877
Sarasota, Florida
“What a Disappointment!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We were traveling and decided to stop at New City Diner for lunch. We don’t have any good diners where we live, so we were looking forward to some good New York diner food. Boy were we disappointed. The service was poor and the food was worse. The food we ordered was tasteless. I was not aware that you could cook bacon to taste like cardboard ...yuk! Next time I’m in the area, I’ll be looking for another place to eat; we won’t go back.

• Visited August 2012

new york
“Ugh”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This place is the epitome of what a diner shouldn't be. Slow service crap food expensive and dirty! My wife and I were seated and waited 15 minutes before anybody even looked at us while the waitstaff congregated and refused to make eye contact as I pleaded for help. I have been there more times than I like to admit because the area is a " dead zone " for restaurants. I will eat cereal for dinner before I go back there

Visited August 2012
Mahopac
“great service, great diner food”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Hating mother's day restaurant hype, decided to go to a local diner for mother's day. We were so pleasantly surprised at the food and service. Our waiter was cordial, knowledgeable and brought everything out at the appropriate time. The meal came with a free salad, not bad. All three of us had the best matzo-ball soup I have ever had (other my grandma's) we ordered a cup of soup and what came was enought for an entire meal, the matzo ball was the size of a grapefruit and soft and delicious. We all had burgers (buffalo and cow) which were delicious and pretty good wine (at $4.00 a large glass can't beat it) and coffee and wonderful stawberry short cake.
The restaurant comped the desert and coffee for mother's day.

The entire bill was less than $60.00 for three people - a totally enjoyable inexpensive treat.

Could not rate as excellent because the one downfall was that the french fries were soggy and not very good.

• Visited May 2012
Westchester
“Overdone, underwhelmed and inconvenienced”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

You'd think that walking in to a restaurant at 3pm on a Monday, when the place was absolutely empty, you'd be greeted and welcomed warmly and get fairly personal service. You'd be wrong. After being seated, a waiter came along and gave us menus, took orders, then - disappeared. 15 minutes...20 minutes...25 minutes. I was there with my wife and stepson. We ordered light sandwich-type fare - a burger, a chicken wrap, and a hot sandwich. This wasn't a very complicated order.

At 35 minutes, my wife got up to ask the host if anyone was going to serve us, to which he replied curtly "it's coming, it's coming!!" And soon enough, our waiter did reappear with plates which he gave to the wrong diners. (I suppose he forgot what we ordered as well as the fact the we were even there.)

I had a chicken wrap with chicken breast that was dry and bland. The bacon & cheese helped the flavor enough to make it semi-interesting My stepson had a Rye Jack burger (as the name suggests, served on rye bread.) Nice idea but the bread is sliced so thin, it soaked through the bottom slice and was mush by the time it reached the table. It was medium but tasty enough for him. The coleslaw was very crisp and fresh. My wife had a Cuban panini that was the best of the three dishes - and so I am not totally faulting the food itself. However, our waiter made one perfunctory "how is everything" follow up, did not offer to refill drinks that were empty, and gave off a vibe that said "I wish I could be doing something else."

Deciding to cut our losses, we finished up and got our bill. Given the experience, we felt a tip of 7% was more than deserved and would express our dissatisfaction (if our faces already hadn't.) Upon leaving, my stepson glanced back inside the diner at the waiter now clearing the table. My stepson reports the waiter glared at him, took the placemat, crumpled it up and threw it at the window. This was truly incredible and uncalled for. It assures me that my family will not return to this establishment under any circumstance.

The pricing wasn't out the range for other Westchester diners, but not worth the experience we had - even without the incident with the angry waiter.

Afterthoughts? We were put off by the gaudy Victorian dolls and similar decorative elements which made the place feel cheesy and cheap. The overly loud music was true elevator Muzak - not a light contemporary FM channel, but the schlocky instrumental versions of songs you just might know, but cringe at hearing this way. Did I mention it was loud? Oi.

• Visited April 2012