“Caveat Emptor... "Let the Buyer Beware"”

Ramada Cortland Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Cortland
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Caveat Emptor... "Let the Buyer Beware"”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Starting with the high point... this property is well located right next to Route 81. On to the front desk, indifferent & uninformed. Experience leading to "Indifferent": I requested an accessable room requiring a minimum of walking steps, explaining that my 89 year old mother had difficulty walking long distances. On hearing the desk clerk grunt, I interpreted affirmative acknowledgment. However, I was mistaken as the room provided was not 'accessable' and was placed precisely between both entrances, so that it required the greatest number of walking steps of any room in the place. Case in point for "Uninformed": the WiFi application required a password. Called the front desk for the password and was told to 'read the card on the desk, you don't need a P/W". After a half hour of trying to figure it out, took my laptop to the front desk and escallated my request to the manage who provided the required password. (Can't make this sfuff up)
The bathroom was groady with rust and other crud on the tub, vents and elsewhere. Of the two beds provided, one looked like it had already been slept in (or otherwise utilized). Needless to say, I slept in the other. The walls are paper thin, such that conversations in the hall and adjoining rooms were clearly audible, even in conversational tones. The side entrance that was recommended as closest to the room was beat up, dirty and virtually screamed 'beware' This is a tired, crudy motel. There are better accomodations in Cortland.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank corvairmaven
Tmaggs619, General Manager at Ramada Cortland Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel and I am very sorry we did not meet or exceed your expectations during the stay.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about your stay, please contact me at your convenience and I will make right your past stay.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 607 756 4431.

Ramada Cortland General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Berkshire, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My husband and I had a wedding to go to in Ithaca over the weekend and could not get a hotel nearby...so we tried the Ramada!! WRONG CHOICE! It was the dirtiest, most disgusting hotel I have been in since I was a poor college student touring Europe and stayed in bed bug infected pensions! The rooms were soooo GRUNGIE and filthy...I should have slept in my car! At 5am we could hear drunken fools out in the hallway and parking lot and the walls were paper thin. When my husband took a shower the water did not drain at all so when I got into the tub the dirty water was up to my shins! SO DISGUSTING!! YUCK! YUCK! YUCK! The staff could have cared less when we checked out and told them about the problem...DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL! It was absolutely horrible in every way!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed June 13, 2010

We were part of a lovely event and arrived tired and ready to relax at this Hotel. They put two adults in the middle of a floor of lacrosse players running up and down halls, slamming doors, etc. I called the front desk and asked to be moved, they said no, they would quiet down. They did not and I called a second time. A manager called back, clearly not even on site..said there was nothing she could do they would get them to calm down but, "we cater to sports teams." So if you are not on a team don't risk staying here. Internet service slower than a snail....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Albany, NY
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We booked the Ramada, last minute, to attend Open House at SUNY Cortland. This hotel is very run down. The carpet was stained, the bathroom needs to be gutted an updated (ditry popcorn celing and tiles missing grout). 3 towels for 4 people. Heating unit controls very primative - and unit alternated between very hot and then very cold air. TV at least 15 years old? Hallway reaked of cigarette smoke that filtered into our non-smoking room. Pool was in a different building, and we wanted to swim but we would have had to walk outside in snow fluries to get to builing with pool. We will not be back unless major iprovements are made. To get a decent hotel room in this college town, you will need to book early. Or you will over pay for a very low quality room.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

New York
Reviewed February 25, 2010

This is my second stay at this hotel. Upon returning was treated like family returning home. Upon my "early" arrival my room was not yet ready. It was suggested I have some breakfast. The breakfast ws superb. Acomplete buffet including a chef ready to make eggs and omlets anyway we wanted. Cost $12 for two people GREAT! Upon returning the front desk,they had directed cleaning staff and my "super"clean room was ready, Restaurant for dinner were superb with many specials to choose from. Location right off of RT81 allowed for easy travel.Five minutes from Suny Cortland University and thirty minutes from Syracuse University. While at hotel saw many families with ski equiptment and while I do not ski they certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves. Will be back and would definitely recommend to anyone needing to stay in area Also only 40min from Turning Point Casino for a night out.. Several winieries within a short drive.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to share your comment about our hotel

As a valued guest, your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We know you have a choice in hotels and we are delighted that you chose ours. We hope to see you again!

nj
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Hotel is well located, staff is very nice, building is long in tooth but keep clean. When will hotels get fitness center is not 1980's equipment?, just get a couple of decent treadmills and elliptical.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Tmaggs619, General Manager at Ramada Cortland Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about our hotel. We strive to make sure all guests are 100% certain they will return and most of the time it is our staff as the reason why. I so glad you enjoyed your, We know you have a choice in hotels and we are delighted that you choose ours. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 10, 2009

Not a bad choice if you are in the area for a few days. The hotel is convenient to I-81 and is at the bottom of an exit ramp. Most people who stay here are driving or visiting someone going to college here. We were here for a weekend during the New York Jets training camp.

We were checked in quickly but did not receive a very friendly greeting from the person on duty. In fact, her face pretty much said “I’d rather be anywhere but here.” Shrugging her off, we went to our room. It was a good size and appeared to be recently renovated. The beds were fine and the room clean. The area by the door is large which is great for luggage. The bathroom was fine and clean.

There was air conditioning in the form of a large vent against the wall. It worked well but the room got cold to quickly and hot if left off. It was also noisy. Luckily, we were very tired come bedtime so we didn’t notice it.

As for amenities, there is a pool here but it’s not very big. I’ve seen bathtubs that were bigger! The room is also kept very hot and since the water was kept warm (too warm!) it did make for a comfortable swim and hard to cool off on a warm summer day. The “gym”, if you can call it that, consisted of some dumbbells and a handful of aging machines.

There is a restaurant here but we never tried it. It’s a steakhouse and the hotel makes a big deal of it. Not once, in two nights, did I ever see anyone in there with the exception of servers sitting around waiting for customers who apparently never show up. There is a Wendy’s and a Taco Bell next door. Across the street are a McDonald’s and a Friendly’s. If you don’t want fast food, there are some better places in the downtown area that are a short drive away.

There is also a decent bar here. Our first night, it was packed thanks to a rehearsal dinner held at the hotel. The second night, it was empty and we surprised the bartender when we walked in as it was quiet and with no customers.
With the college out for the summer, the hotel was quiet at night and we barely heard a peep in our room. There was plenty of free parking available. I am sure that is a different story when school is in session. We were checked out very quickly when we left.

Overall, it was okay as it was for two nights. It’s fine for a short stay but beyond that would be a different story. Given that this is a small college town, this is hotel is about the best you can do in this area. Be careful with what you read on the Ramada website about the amenities as noted above.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family