“Such a Dump”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Cortland
Rochester, New York
“Such a Dump”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

What a terrible place to stay. The rooms are outdated and gross. I had to buy my own toiletries (shampoo, conditioner and soap) because of the poor quality. Only Shampoo and soap were provided - no conditioner. I thought for $129 I would at least get some decent toiletries provided. I would never stay here again, nor would I recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bean1043

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sparta, New Jersey
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Went with friends to a CD release party. Have never been to Cortland, so I didn't know what to expect. The owners were very nice & very helpful to direct us with our destinations. Was very happy to learn all we needed was within walking distance! The room was very neat & beds were very comfortable & quiet! (We were there on a Saturday night.) Continental breakfast- good coffee!! I would definitely recommend this hotel & would stay there again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We visited the Econo Lodge in Cortland and stayed for 5 days. The rooms were very clean, and cleaned every day. We were pleased with the friendliness and hard work of the staff. The front desk is very knowledgable. They recommended the Community Restaurant, which is a must do when visiting Cortland. We also enjoyed dinner at the Central City Bar and Grill. After reading previous reviews of this hotel, we wanted to say that we saw none of the problems, and enjoyed our stay immensly. The location is perfect (close to the college as well as the downtown area), the beds are very comfortable, the staff is top notch, and the price is right (best value in the area). We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Baldwinsville
Reviewed February 11, 2010

We are from Denver, Colorado, and were visiting family in Cortland, NY for The Thanksgiving Holiday. It was a great place to stay and the prices were quite reasonable. The management was so helpful and considerate. The room was very clean and well kept. I would definately come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
new york
Reviewed January 23, 2010

The owners are dishonest and incredibly rude. Guests staying for a week or longer only get service every other day. When the woman comes to clean she knocks once and then walks in. She says "hello" instead of "housekeeping." She berates guests staying over who have "messy rooms" or bags on the floor. Cheaper rooms have old stained mattresses, chipped paint around the sink, and old rough towels.
One gets the feeling that they could possibly catch a nasty illness just being in the room.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank greentealoverNewYork
New York
Reviewed October 5, 2009

The morning after our stay, we left very early to attend an event and returned around lunch time to confirm that we removed all of our belongings. Our key worked, so we went into the room and did a quick check. Upon exiting the room, an angry, screaming woman approached! I looked around in shock wondering if this woman spotted her husband with another woman and was about to kill him.

This was not the case. Ms. Shah, who is the co-manager/co-owner, was coming to attack me for going into my room. Ms. Shah continued to relentlesslly and somewhat phsychotically berate me until I left.

In addition to the angry tyrant, the rooms were stifeling and the heat could not be used since an aroma of burnt hair permeates the room upon turning it on.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank emailcj
Golden Valley, AZ
Reviewed August 26, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our vacation. We were very tired and although we felt we prayed a premium, we were looking forward to a good night's sleep. After we'd unpacked and eaten, I got ready to put our sodas in the refrigerator and found that it didn't work. We decided to just leave them in our cooler and not worry about it. We then decided to look at the room a little more closely. There was wallpaper peeling. There were two areas in the bathroom area that was missing paint. Then we noticed that the outdated countertop and metal ring around the sink had been painted over. The paint was peeling off of the metal ring. During the night I woke up and the room was stuffy and hot. We found that the electricity had gone off in part of the room. I was not able to sleep well after this. In the morning there was still no power and we had no hot water. I do not take cold showers. I understand that losing power was not the hotel's fault, but I did expect an apology and at least a token partial refund. We received neither. He just said, "There's nothing we can do." After all, we had paid for an air conditioned room and to be able to take showers. We had neither. After e-mailing Econolodge, we did get a reply from the manager in which he finally apologized, repeated that it wasn't their problem and attempted to explain the areas of disrepair. He did question the fact that there was peeling paint in two of the areas. After that I e-mailed him again and attached photos of the peeling paint. He did not reply.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple