“Eat here!!”

Fabio's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 111 Restaurants in Cortland
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
acton
“Eat here!!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

LIke so many other buildings in Cortland, the exterior of Fabio's is modest to say the least. The interior is a bit better-- "homey" would be polite, but "campy" would also be accurate. The food is another matter altogether. We came for Easter dinner with a party of 26 people. Wine and appetizers arrived promptly, and all throughout our meal the service was adequate if a bit awkward (we were consistently served from the left). Our meal commenced with a green salad, which was fresh but suffered a bit from having been made earlier in the day. The antipasto plate caught my attention, because all of the cured meats were of unusually high quality. But the taglierini with cheese and arugula made me want to stand up and cheer. As with all the greens Fabio served us that evening, they were fresh and unusually verdant (how does this man get his braised greens to stay so damn green?). The cheese, home made pasta and more than a touch of butter and garlic all came together perfectly and launched this dish into the stratosphere. We also sampled the spaghetti Bolognese, and the braciole, but the lamb osso bucco was truly extraordinary. How did he manage to prepare this so that the meat melted off the bone and dissolved in your mouth, but was still pink and delightfully rare near the center? I wish I knew.

Should you find yourself anywhere in the neighborhood of Ithaca or Syracuse, this resto is a scant half hour from either city, and WELL worth the trip. If you're with a large party, it is highly probable that Fabio himself will come out of the kitchen after your meal (along with a tray of limoncello and anisette, served gratis) to say hello. Rest assured that you'll want to toast both his health and his skills.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank bruce c

Cortland, New York
“Fantastic Meal and Service”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

A friend and I ate at Fabio's last evening . The service was great , the food fantastic - as usual. Our meals were served hot , and were very tasty . We also had a wonderful creamy dessert, yum.
We spoke to Fabio and a number of his staff when we arrived at the restaurant . It is always a very friendly and efficient place to eat.

• Visited February 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful Owner”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have been to this restaurant several times and time after time the wait is forever. The last string happened when we waited 2 and a half hours for our meals on a birthday occasion and then half of them did not come out. The food was cold, we had no forks, and the menus were not enough either. The owner and he refused to come out and apologize to us. Overall, the owner is a coward and I strongly suggest no one visit this restaurant.

1 Thank Mpascal23
fabio131313, Owner at Fabio's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
In my restaurant, we consider 1 - 1 1/2 hours to be the amount of time to enjoy a meal from soup to nuts with all dishes homemade. So I do agree that 2 1/2 hours is too long for your dinner service. However, only another restaurant owner could find a justifiable reason for this to happen. Full dining room, line out the door, a little of Murphy's Law hanging around and me the only cook, ( and, by the way, all food is made to order) yes, it turned out to be a rough evening. As I make each meal from scratch, down to the homemade pasta and loaves of bread, I take great pride in my food and the care of my customers. At your table there were special dietary needs that had to be dealt with too..... Did anyone notice all the other patrons that needed to be served as well? I did not refuse to come out and speak to the table. As the server relayed to you, I needed to first take care of the food that I was preparing for waiting customers before I could leave my kitchen. In addition, I tried to make up for the dissatisfaction by deducting $100.00 from the bill. All my patrons know that I am at my restaurant 7 days a week and I always visit my guests at their tables when time allows. It is very disappointing to see a customer that has always been treated with care and attention react this way with one experience below our usual standard. Anyway, if I really feel the need to talk to someone I usually find a way. Perhaps a phone call may have been more direct and led to a better outcome, rather than to run home and whine behind a computer. In conclusion we both gained something from this day: you found a place not to go, and I found a customer that I do not want
“Disaster”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I've never experienced such horrible service at a restaurant. First and foremost, it took 2 and a half hours for us to receive our food. We were sharing forks, eating our meals as they came out in half hour intervals, and our waitress vanished half way through the miserable experience. I just can't fathom how an establishment could allow this to happen. We will never come here again.

Freeville, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The parking lot is terrible, dangerous for some not steady on their feet. Great food and great prices.

Visited September 2012