“They take pride in customer service!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cortland
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cortland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were passing through on our way to Niagara Falls and booked in advance to spend the night. The staff was outstanding--extremely friendly, very accommodating & truly professional. We only wanted a basic guest room, but they were all full when we booked our stay. Thus, we opted for a King suite--it was very spacious and comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was excellent and we enjoyed using the fitness room. Unfortunately, we thought our check out time was at noon rather than 11am (which is clearly displayed at the front desk)...the housekeeping staff & front desk could not have been any nicer in allowing us the extra time to get ourselves together & packed up--they were extremely kind and assured us, "it's no problem". We have never encountered such friendliness from all staff personnel, regardless of the department they serve--they all smiled & made you feel welcome. We would HIGHLY recommended staying here!

Room Tip: Most families stay on the 1st floor so their children can easily access the pool...so, if you would...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly F, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cortland, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear 1Reds1,

Thank you so much for recognizing our team for their customer service. That is our number 1 goal here at the Country Inn and Suites of Cortland, and it makes our staff feel so honored when our guests recognize that. We hope that you enjoyed your trip to Niagara and hope to see you in the future if your travels bring you this way! Take care until next time!

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cortland

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Was not able to find anything closer to Cornell at a reasonable price. Came across the Country Inn and Suites, The reviews were spot on. Very clean. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast was very good and an excellent selection. When we returned to the room in the evening, it was cleaned to perfection. We shall return. Outstanding value for the dollar.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear DCHU,

I thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel and staff and am glad that you stumbeld upon us on your way to Ithaca. We hope that all of our guests always feel that they are getting a great value for the cost and thank you for sharing that with our future guests. Have a wonderful rest of the evening and we will see you during your next trip!!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Our twin daughter go to Ithaca,College for their Freshmen year. Our stay this weekend at the Country Inn was delightful because Charlene made it something out of the ordinary. First we were welcomed with a smile, efficiency and a gift. She provided us with room that was convenient on the first floor for the four of us close to the lobby and swimming pool as well as restaurant for breakfast. Our daughters swam to their hearts content close to midnight and we all enjoyed the first night of Jacussi. The 24 hour offering of cookies and coffee at the desk made quite appetizing to regain our energy. Tammy, our Chamber maid kept the room spotless clean and provided the necessary replenishment of towels and toiletries. Margi is a complete delight as a Breakfast server on Saturdays. The morning we had our first meal she had a whole group of parents and kids from Cornell, the Soccer team from Geneseo and parents from Ithaca as well. She assisted every one to feel at ease and satisfied. She extended herself to the maximum degree with a smile and sparkle on her eyes. Missy today was also most helpful and efficient. We will continue to return whenever we visit our daughters. We will make sure to inform our sister who is a travel agent to include your hotel on the top of her list for families who would like to visit the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have easy accessibility for the senior guests
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Pat2244,

I wanted to reach out and say thank you for your wondeful comments regarding our staff. I have shared your feedback with them and they are all very honored to be mentioned on Trip Advisor. Charlene and Margie were both nominated for "an employee of the week," program that we have here. We look forward to a long and happy friendship with you and your family as your daughter's finish school in Ithaca. Thank you again and have a wonderful rest of the day!

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Great place. Friendly and helpful staff.
Outside looks nice and clean and well taken care of.
The lobby is inviting and a cookie is welcoming the guest.
The breakfast room of the lobby has good size and breakfast was plenty.
The room was big with nice rustic furniture. I could do without the whirlpool and the mirrors . Bathroom was big and everything worked.
The room was clean.
The pool looked inviting but I did not have time to use it.
Nice place.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
I thank you so much for sharing your detailed feedback about your experience here at the Country Inn & Suites. I thank you for mentioning our team and the cookies! (We love them too!!) We strive to give our guests the best experience possible and feel very rewarded when we receive a response such as yours. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you to Cortland! Take care until then!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed overnight at the hotel during a weekend while we were visiting some colleges in the area. My friend recommended Country Inn and Suites for their free breakfast. The clerks at the front desk, Cassie (?) and Javier were most polite and friendly. Although we only stayed overnight, we found the accommodations spacious and comfy. My younger son went in the pool, though small, it was fine for a quick enjoyment during an overnight stay. There is coffee/tea available 24 hours in the lobby as well as home-made cookies. The breakfast buffet was well stocked, with a variety of typical buffet breakfast items. The woman who was the breakfast attendant was so friendly and interacted with the guests, making them feel comfortable. She was very active and always was brining out more items such as fruit and donuts for the buffet. In addition, the lobby was quaint with coordinated furniture and a gas fireplace, wood accents. We were there in late October and the lobby was decorated cheerfully for Halloween. They have a lending library and some board games available for the guests as well. We were very pleased with our overnight stay. Lastly, the hotel is conveniently located across from SUNY Cortland and down the road are chain restaurants and shopping available.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Teri T, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cortland, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear LlChick,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay at our hotel with us and our guests. Our team works very hard to ensure all our guests have a pleasant stay and when this is reinforced so positively it really is the best reward for a job well done.

Cassie and Javier were thrilled to see you mention them and I am happy to hear they made an impact and were a great welcoming team.

We hope to see you back in Cortland soon and it would be an honor to host your next stay.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I am a Marriott fan and try to stay in one of their properties when ever I can. That being said, there were no Marriott's in Cortland when we visited our daughter in the area recently. We gave this a try and were pleasantly surprised.
The hotel was immaculate inside and out. There is always coffee and fresh cookies available in the lobby. I saw chips and salsa in the lobby most nights. The breakfast was good...not gourmet but good. Eggs two ways each morning were available with home fries. Hard boiled plus scrambled or omelet style. Other changing choices included sausage, diced ham, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, depending on the egg choice. There were 3 juices, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Bagels and toast were available. I did wish they offered english muffins. Mini donuts and muffins were also available. Hot and cold cereal choices plus make your own waffles.
Our room was clean and well maintained.The beds were great if you like a softer bed, which I don't but my wife was very happy. The bathroom was in very good repair. I think I stayed during the time of the previous reviewer and the bus. I was on the back side and did not here a thing. All and all...the best choice for the Cortland area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Hello R&R48,

I am so glad to hear you now have a second choice for your hotel stays and I'm thrilled to hear our hotel is the lucky choice!!
We take great pride in our hotel and it shines in both the level of cleanliness our guests see but more so in the guest service experienced while staying with us.

Thank you for taking your time to share your stay with our future guests, we appreciate your comments and your observations.

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back again soon!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This has always been one of my two places to stay while in Cortland for business. The last day of my visit started with a tour bus idling in the parking lot at 6:10. The bus continued to make noise for 45 minutes. There was no one in the bus except the driver who appeared to be talking on his cell phone. I understand the bus fills a lot of rooms, but most states, including New York, have laws against this and it was really annoying. I've never had this happen at my other local lodging option. I travel here multiple times a year for multiple days. I'll choose elsewhere going forward. With the college nearby and traveling sports teams I guess I have just been lucky with past stays.

The rooms are clean and quiet. The exercise room was in great shape. This is a nice place to stay, but nothing else matters if my sleep is disturbed!

Room Tip: The buses apparently are permitted to use the rear parking lot as their extended idling zones so I w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Teri T, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cortland, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Busywithbusiness,

I agree with you 100%-waking to the noise and smell of an idling vehicle is an absolute annoyance. I apologize for this and hope you know this is not the normal bus etiquette at our hotel. We work very hard with our drivers to ensure this doesn't happen and with all the buses we have hosted over the years the impact on our guests is very low.

Please know we value your business and I personally understand how a good nights sleep impacts your business-A peaceful and restful nights sleep are our goal for you and all guests, with a nice calm transition in the morning.

I do hope you will give our hotel another opportunity and allow us the opportunity to show you this was a one time incident not the norm for our hotel and our bus drivers.

I have used your comments as a learning opportunity for our desk associates-it opened up the conversation on what we can do beyond talking with our drivers at check in time to ensure all bus drivers are aware but more so all hotel associates are aware when there are buses in the parking lot how we need to be more proactive to ensure their location is not going to impact any of our guests.

Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel, as I would like to talk with you in person and invite you back for your next stay in Cortland.

607-753-8300

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cortland
Hampton Inn Cortland
Hampton Inn Cortland
#2 of 10 in Cortland
Best Western Plus Finger Lakes Inn & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca
The Statler Hotel at Cornell University
Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca
Holiday Inn Express Cortland

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cortland? Share your experiences!