“Best fish fry ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Doug's Fish Fry

Doug's Fish Fry
Ranked #1 of 111 Restaurants in Cortland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Best fish fry ever!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I drive a long way for this fish and the onion rings, and milkskakes or beer are great too!
Consistently delivered every time! Workers are always friendly, and always willing to wrap up the leftovers.
My bf doesn't like fish, but claims the chicken is worth going there for.
I wasn't as impressed with Skaneatles location.

Columbus, Ohio
“Delicious!!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We happened upon this place while looking for something else. It seemed like a local joint, which we love to find, so we took a chance and were glad we did! You order at the counter and then get a table and wait for your name to be called, so it's a casual setup. The fish was delicious, and was actually shaped like a fish fillet (not a square!). The fish was way bigger than the bun. We had ours with onion rings, which were also great - not too thick, with just the right crunch. I haven't been to any other Doug's locations, so I can't comment on how this one compares to the others. I have no complaints!! Would definitely eat here again!

Richmond Hill, Canada
“Doug's was disappointing”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We did not expect a fast food type setup. We had to order at a counter and wait for our name to be called and carry a tray. I asked if I could get shrimp and scallops combo. I was told no combos available. When we asked for our chowder to come first, I was told OK but it came together.
The seafood chowder had lots of small pieces of seafood but the broth was thin and tasteless.
My order was missing the shrimp as it needed to be redone. So I nibbled on my fries which were ordered well done crispy but were soft and had to go back into fryer. But when the order came the food was good. The staff were very pleasant and apologized.

1 Thank Maddytravels09
Scarsdale, New York
“Fun and funny, funky place!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Fried fish heaven. Specials on weekends. Chowders were wonderful and scallops and onion rings. Self service - we made mistake and waited a few minutes by door until we received odd looks!

Visited July 2013
“I love Doug's...but the Cortland location ain't great”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

First and foremost: Doug's is a great catch, usually great food and great family fun...but the Cortland location is missing the nostalgia that is ripe in Skaneateles. I will never forget waiting in line with my family in Skaneateles and seeing Doug eating from a bucket of clams, while my dad struck up a friendly conversation with him. He has a legendary way about him, as though he crawled out of the sea himself. The restaurant certainly bares and deserves that legendary reputation as well.

However, on this particular occasion, Cortland was missing the spark that Doug has worked so hard to preserve. Most offensive to my senses was the obvious fact that the fish was just different today - it couldn't be the same stuff they catch in Boston and ship in three times a week. The service was not great either - but in all fairness, grump was a word derived in Syracuse.

All in all, I would say the Cortland location is too wrapped up in New York Jets hype to care too much about preserving the integrity of the business. I expect they will make the adjustments they need to, and continue to be a legendary name in central New York.

• Visited June 2013