“Very good food, great ambiance”

Painter's Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been patronizing Painter's on and off for many years. We have eaten here many times and even hosted an event here once. The food is almost always above par. Last night, I had the Tuna and Cucumber Salad as an appetizer and my wife had the Coconut Shrimp. Both were excellent. For our entrees, I had the Dragon Bowl with shrimp and my wife had the Shrimp and Scallop pasta dish. I enjoyed mine but my wife commented that hers was bland and she would not order it again. She had a Pumpkin Pie Martini which was too strong, but they added some more of the pumpkin flavor and she enjoyed it much more. For dessert, we shared a piece of Carrot Cake that was delicious and very moist.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

By far this is the best restaurant in Cornwall, New York.
I've lived here for over 15 years and continue to go back time and again. We like to take guests here because of its warm and cozy atmosphere. In the Fall, Winter they have a wood buringing fireplace and amble bar selection.
Highly recommend!
As a plus, it IS KID FRIENDLY!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Painter's is a Cornwall Classic; decor and vibe are really nice, especially when sitting outdoors on a fall evening with a sweater and a glass o' the best. Especially good are the dishes that include cheeses from the local Edgewick Farms - really excellent goat cheeses with flavors layered on flavors. Highly recommended

Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband and I just got back to our hotel after a very enjoyable dinner at Painter's. It was a lovely evening and we ate outside on the patio. The atmosphere was comfortable and casual. The clientele was a blend of families, couples, and friends dining together. The food was fun, and a little different. It was also good. We shared a duck tostada with corn salsa for an appetizer (it was a large portion and could have been a light dinner with a salad. ) My husband had the crispy fish tacos for dinner, and said they were ok, not great. But the brownie ice cream sundae we shared for desert was to die for. The service was good, but slow. They seemed a little stretched. We'd go back.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

We have eaten in this restaurant twice and had virtually the same experience. The food is very good, the service attentive, but the acoustics are just terrible. The first time we had dinner here while the food was very good, the noise level was so distracting that I couldn't wait to leave. This time we ate on the outside patio. My partner had a pasta special and I had the hangar steak, both delicious. The restaurant has a few tables outside of the patio where smoking is permitted. After we were seated, the smoke came drifting our way along with two very boisterous, vulgar patrons who could not be ignored. The staff at Painter's is very accomodating and as soon as we brought the situation to the waitress's attention, she immediately moved us to a table far from the smoke. But still the noise from the other patrons seated near by just seemed to bounce off the ceiling and into our conversation.
The restaurant is not cheap with entrees at $26-28, so I go expecting to have a good meal and a pleasant atmosphere. Perhaps, this is way Painter's does a good amount of take-away business. Patrons want the food not the noise.