“A cool Corning Experience”

Radisson Hotel Corning
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Corning
GreenLeadersBronze level
“A cool Corning Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2005

Four Stars...No Decline here! The former Hilton built after the flood of 72' looked great, The Frank Loyd Wright style hotel was well maintained.It was adjacent to Main Street filled with quaint shops perfect for a stroll after dinner. Resturant was excellent, service ,food and atrium dining was all we could have asked for. Not within walking distance to the Corning Glass Museum but not a big deal 5 min ride. King room was very nice,even a rubber shower mat( don't see em' often).

Stayed July 2005
3 Thank John W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2005

Overall, I was very pleased with this hotel and do not see any kind of "decline" as another person mentioned. All the staff were friendly and helpful. My room was of average size with nice furnishings and amenities. I would like to disagree with another review concerning the Sleep Number bed in the guest room. These beds are quite simply the most comfortable that I have ever slept on! And in my opinion, cannot be compared to Sheraton's beds. You actually are able to adjust how soft the mattres is... Talk about options! In fact, I have started staying in Radissons more and more because of the Sleep Number beds. I had breakfast in the restaurant here and the food was quite good. I didn't get to use many of the amenities, but from what I saw everything looked very nice and inviting. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank wgt1984
Albany, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2005

Things I appreciated about this hotel:
Quiet, clean, big room
Ethernet internet access in the room -- fast, easy connection
Two desk chairs plus a sofa in the room
Convenient location and parking
Windows that open for fresh air
Shower head that actually rises above my head (I'm 6' 3' and nearly every shower head in hotels is too short for me)

Things that could have been better:
Breakfast was not included

The "sleep number bed" was as uncomfortable as can be. Basically, how it works is that each side of the king size bed can be adjusted in terms of the softness and the firmness. You can see some couples really getting into it. Imagine the TV commercial: "My husband likes his bed really firm, and I like it soft.... we were on the brink of divorce over it, until we discovered the Sleep Number Bed. Now we sleep in peace -- it's saved our marriage, and we're getting a good rest to boot."

The reality is sometimes it's better to have fewer choices rather than too many. It reminds me of my step-father's 1992 Pontiac Bonneville with no less than 12 adjustable controls for the driver's side seat. You end up having so many options that none of them feel comfortable. Same is true with the Sleep Number Bed -- if it's too firm, you feel like you're on a bad camping air mattress; too soft and you might as well be in a cheap hotel bed with a big sag.

Also, beware of adjusting it while you're in the bed -- if you're lying down while you deflate it, it's the creepiest feeling ever.

Memo to Raddison: Send the Sleep Number Bed back to its manufacturer, and follow a model used by Sheraton. They've got the most confortable beds I've encountered in a hotel chain.

Overall, though, great hotel -- I'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank biztravel1
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2005

I have to say that we stayed at this hotel because of the reviews but we were greatly disappointed. I guess it's been a while since there has been any recent reviews. Corning was our half way point in the trip so we only stayed the one night.

I am fairly picky as to where I stay and even if it's not a five star hotel I expect it to be clean and friendly.

The lobby was very impressive but we were less than impressed with the remainder of the hotel.

Our room was a typical hotel room. But in our room the wallpaper border appeared to be peeling off in areas, the pillows were shapeless pancakes and the beds were very uncomfortable. Uncomfortable to the point that I had to get up around 4 a.m. to stretch my aching back. In the bathroom the tub/shower was old and molding was growing in quite a few of the tile crevices and around the floor of the toilet. Yuck!!

We could hear everyone walking past our room and even the tv from the room beside us.

The pool on first glance looked nice. It had a beautiful beach mural on one wall, nice patio furniture and the pool was a good size. I had settled myself on a lounger and decided relax while the kids got rid of some of their couped up energy. I was not too impressed when they started diving for coins that were at the bottom of the pool and even disgusted when they were debating whether the "thing" at the bottom of the pool was garbage, a leaf or human waste. I believe it was plant debris but either way the pool needed a good cleaning.

We had a "hugs & kisses" package that I had booked through the Radisson's home website for $92 a night. This was supposed to include champagne, chocolates and breakfast for two. I wasn't too concerned about the champagne and chocolates but the value of the 2 breakfasts included in the package was what made this a good deal for our family budget. Check in was smooth but I had to remind the clerk that we had a package and how did the breakfast part of the package work. I was given a voucher for a maximum of $20 for breakfast in the adjoining restaurant but I didn't receive any champagne or chocolates. (A shame since my birthday was the morning of our departure)

We were tired and famished the night we arrived so we had lunch in the bar area of the restaurant. My daughter had a burger, my son had chicken wings and I had a steak sandwich. My daughter said that the burger was really dry but she was hungry enough to eat it. We had to send my son's the wings back because they were too spicy for my son. I don't like doing that but our waitress was being very accomodating with this request. My peppercorn steak sandwich was sad. I believe the cook forgot about the peppercorn part of the recipe and the steak was so greasy that I had to separate the sandwich from part of the bun. I wasn't too impressed considering this was a $10 sandwich that came with a pale, pathetic pile of fries.

However, our breakfast the following morning was very good. Everyone had the french toast. The french toast was very good - crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. The strawberries that came with the breakfast were a wonderful side.

Overall I would not stay here again. We willl find another hotel for our half way point of our trips.

9 Thank CulinaryDiva
upstate ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2004

This hotel is a welcomed surprise. It is situated at the end of the market area for the town, as if the corner stone for the town, thereby being immediately adjacent to many wonderful little gallerys, shops, restaurants, jazz bars, and the like. The hotel itself is well run, clean, and more like a hotel one might find in a major city than a small town. They triple sheet-a definte plus. while there is a restaurant on site, the proximity to wonderful restaurants makes eating on site less compelling. The town is charming and considerably more upscale than neighboring communities. The glass museum is simply fabulous-leave some extra time to actually blow glass bead/orniment/flower, etc at the Art Studio behind the museum. The town has many festivals-it is clearly a thriving community-with jazz festivals and other events. The town's information center is within a few blocks of the hotel-well worth a visit and very helpful. Watkins Glen is approximately 30 minutes away. If you have an extra afternoon, climbing the gorge through water falls and rocks (need good shoes but do-able for even young children and moderatley fit adults)will give you an experience you will never forget. The area is also known for its wine tasting. If your primary destination is the gorge, it is worth the extra 30 minute drive to stay at the Raddisson.

7 Thank Outstanding-raters
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2004

As a travelling salesman in New York state I visit this area year round. I have been staying here for over 15 years - it was originally the Corning Hilton. Not changed much except the addition of an annex. If you get a chance stay in the main building. Dining is so so - bar is available and nice in middle of winter when it usually fills with locals. A close stroll for a choice of resuraunts is the restored Market Street.
Gaffers offer a wide choice of good food and English beer on tap.

Plano, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2003

Wow - what a pleasant surprise - the hotel was everything it promised.
We ate in the hotel restaurant our first night and really enjoyed the food. There were seafood, steak, pasta and other selections. The hotel has a lobby that opens to each floor giving it an airy atmosphere. It was great to be able to walk out the back of the hotel door onto Market Street. Down Market Street was the perfect breakfast stop - Manhattan Bagel. There was also an Eckerd pharmacy within two blocks. I would definitely stay at this Radisson again and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed January 2005
1 Thank Plano_TXTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corning
Staybridge Suites Corning
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 6 in Corning
Fairfield Inn Corning Riverside
Hampton Inn Corning/Painted Post
Hampton Inn Elmira/Horseheads
Hilton Garden Inn Elmira / Corning

Been to Radisson Hotel Corning? Share your experiences!