“What a pleasant surprise!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Corning Museum of Glass Admission
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Corning
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Open 9am-5pm every day year-round. Open 9am-8pm Memorial Day to Labor Day. Offering unique opportunities to explore glass: Live glassmaking demonstrations, Make Your Own Glass (addtl fee), hands-on glass exhibits, and stunning glass art collections. See the newly opened (March 2015) Contemporary Art + Design Wing. Make Your Own Glass projects reservations available online. Kids and Teens (17 and under) Free.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Slingerlands, New York
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 268 helpful votes
“What a pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

This was the place of field trips and family vacations in my youth. At that time it was billed as the Corning Glass "works" I believe, and I remember the setting being fairly industrial. That was in the day when they were most known for Steuben Glass (America's Waterford), and Corning Ware, which I am not sure you can still obtain.

Now, this is a giant, beautiful, really interesting museum. The demonstrations of old are now in auditoria, equipped with TV monitors and sound systems. Still really interesting to see a "glob" of glass become a beautiful bowl! The galleries are multiple, covering the history of glass, showcasing all the ways in which artists use this versatile medium. Yes, the is the obligatory breathtaking Chihuly sculpture, but also some of his early less overpowering works. You will have trouble deciding which of the beautiful pieces is your favorite.

The gift shop is amazing in its size and scope. Cookware, chess sets, decorative glass, etc, etc. The shop is good for an hour by itself.

Highly recommended!

1 Thank Rhapsodyinblue
Kerry M, Marketing Staff at Corning Museum of Glass, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for recommending us to future travelers/visitors. We always like to meet and exceed expectations and it sounds like we did that for your visit. We hope you return soon as we have more changes coming!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“One Word - Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

My wife and I had the opportunity recently to tour the glass museum while returning from a trip to the "Falls". The displays, collections, history, everything within is simply fascinating and beautiful. It is truly hard to describe and is something one must see for themselves. They have classes available to make your own piece of glass art as well as the GlassMarket, where you can purchase everything from inexpensive glass objects to true works of art. If your headed to the Finger Lakes region or the "Falls", it's worth the visit.

1 Thank Billy R
Thanks for your review of our attraction on your Upstate New York itinerary. We are always happy to be a stopping place for people heading through the state and invite you to explore more for a day or two in the local area. We really appreciate your review and hope that travelers take your advice to come experience the art, history and science of glass for themselves. Thanks again!
Edmeston, NY
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“This is One of My Favorite Museums”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have been to the Corning Museum of Glass several times. It is one of those places that I like to take guests from out of town. I really enjoy the historical display and the special exhibits they have there as well as the various displays of the uses and history of glass products. I also like the hands on exhibits and the demonstrations. I usually go to the glass blowing demonstration and this last time, I went to the glass forming demo and it was fascinating to watch. Over the years, the museum has continued to evolve and they are doing new construction and expanding for 2014. They have also updated the facilities and it looks very nice. The cafe has a small, but tasty selection and I love the new restrooms. One thing that I also enjoy is the museum store, but the postcards could be better (more like the Museum of Modern Art). The thing I like most about this store is that they usually have a nice selection of glass products, many at good prices. I would suggest more places to store coats though.
I highly recommend this attraction.

Visited December 2013
Thank you for your review! We are honored to be on your list of "favorites". Thank you for your feedback and for your repeat visits. We look forward to showing off more of our collection in coming months, so please come back soon!
Western Ny
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Fun Family Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We went to the Museum of Glass in Corning. It was quite busy but not crowded- buses bring tourist in from NYC area and many do not speak English but it was still a great day- lots of room-spread out everywhere and many classes going on all the time- it never felt too crowded- except for the womens bathroom (normal). So many cool exhibits and things to touch - took a 12 yr old and she loved the shows and the "whisper room". All 3 kids did the "blow your own" glass class and made their own glass sculptures. Very fun and interesting day. Its free to go to the Building- we paid for the sculptures...and shipping. We paid to get little tags to go into all the other places and shows but no one ever checked us for a pass...

Visited December 2013
Thanks for your review and for posting the picture of the ornament tree. The tags were your passes for the day. We hope you found it valuable that Kids & Teens are free admission. We are always happy to have international guests come to see us; as you saw in our galleries, the art is made all over the world making it an appealing and interesting museum for guests of many origins. If you're from Upstate New York we hope you found the Crystal City Gallery (Corning) interesting in learning about our local glass roots. It sounds like you made many memories during your visit and we look forward to your future visits to add to your hand made glass collection! Thanks again for your review of your family's fun day exploring art, history, and science at CMOG.
Princeton, New Jersey
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“This house of glass truly sparkles!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I have prodded my husband for 47 years to take me to Corning and Corning Glass. He wasn't interested. This Thanksgiving we went to Watkins Glen (near Corning) and I made reservations for the tour at Corning Glass and for my husband to make a glass ornament for our granddaughter. I love art glass so was in heaven to finally be there.
We spent the day there. Black Friday at this museum shop is not to be missed and can't be described. I've never seen a gift shop of this magnitude.
On the way home to my surprise, my husband said he wanted to return to Watkins Glen this summer. When I asked why he replied, "So I can go back to Corning Glass." He loved it after all. It's almost impossible to see everything in one day so we will return.
My g/d loves her ornament and when she heard about how it was made she decided she has to go as well!

Visited November 2013
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your persistence with your husband and are thrilled that he finally found out what he was missing for all of those decades! We invite you to bring your granddaughter to make her own ornament and create lasting memories of a visit to The Corning Museum of Glass anytime. There are great tools available to use when visiting with a family and hotel packages that cater to family travel as well. As for the giftshop, you won't be shocked to learn that is is one of the largest museum gift shops in the country! Thanks again for (finally) visiting and reviewing.