“A gem”

The Rockwell Museum
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Corning
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Art about the american experience -- the people, land and ideas that shape America through the eyes of American artists. Connect and reflect on the story of America through the eyes of American artists. The diverse collection of original American masterpieces includes a mix of contemporary Native American art alongside traditional bronze sculptures, landscape paintings and other works that embody America and the migration west. Kids and teens 17 and under are always free to The Rockwell -- specialized Art Hunts and our Family Exploration Studio make our museum the perfect destination for all ages. The Rockwell is named for our founding collectors, Bob and Hertha Rockwell, local business owners who amassed an incredible collection of American art and artifacts.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This museum would be respectable in a much larger city.. They have a Bierstadt painting, many by Charlie Russel, and several Remington bronzes. I had come for a special exhibit but I was much more impressed by the permanent collection.

The facility and furnishings are impressive and make for a very pleasant visit.

There are newer reviews for The Rockwell Museum

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Small and easy to do. Nice small collection of western art. If you are in or near Corning, you should do this.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Frankly I went but did not expect too much. Was I surprised. In an area where there is very little to do do (especially in winter) this was a gem for a few hours. Interesting and leisurely walk through Western Art. Very glad I went and will go back the next time I am in the area. Includes a give shop with momentoes for your collection. Excellent for children.

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the cultural treasures of our region. Every time I visit, I am struck by the different exhibits and the care that goes into planning them. The Remington exhibit is something no one should miss. This is truly the best way to spend an afternoon in Corning.

2  Thank MUfoodie
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I stopped by while passing through on a road trip. The admission of $7 (AAA discount) was well worth it. We spent about an hour and a half and saw everything, but could have lingered longer if we'd had more time. The permanent collection has some gorgeous large landscapes, some from the Hudson River school and the Brandywine Valley artists. They also have some very nice pottery, antique guns, sculpture, and other objects. The special exhibit during our visit was a National Geographic photography exhibit of the best of the American West, which I loved. Other pluses include a neat historic building, a buffalo leaping out of the building's facade, a very affordable gift shop with neat items, and free wi-fi. Definitely stop by!