“Fine Dining in Corning”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I recently had a late night meal here while staying at the Radisson. Upstate winters can be brutal. On a cold night the last thing you want to do is go out walking around Corning seeking out a good restaurant. I got into Corning late night for a morning meeting. I just wanted a good meal and a glass of wine. I got that plus more at Grill 125 (located in the Radisson Hotel). They have an extensive reasonably priced wine list (even for glasses), and a diverse menu.

They started my experience by placing upon my table a red pepper hummus dip with large fresh chips (gratis), and then a basket of hot crunchy rolls with three types of butters (one of them red pepper butter). I guess there was a sale on red pepper but it was all delicious. I was sold at that point.

I really wanted the Nut Coated Salmon but they had just run out, so I opted for the Indian Tandoori Chicken on Naan Bread (like I needed more bread) with grilled Zucchini.

The chicken, the veges, the wine, the service, the hummus, the bread, all of them were excellent. It was a short roll into my Radisson bed to end the evening perfectly. I would definitely return here for a relaxing dinner, I would bring my wife to share the fine food, and I would linger far longer.

4  Thank Newman019

Reviewed March 9, 2012

My wife and I dined here while we were staying at the Radisson, which Grill 125 is inside of. It feels a little on the fancy side and my wife and I were wearing tshirts and jeans, since we just came down from our room, but no one said anything or made us feel uncomfortable. The service was excellent, and the food was great. My wife had a filet that just melted in your mouth and was cooked perfect. I had pork which also was excellent.

2  Thank joeinny
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My family has eaten Thanksgiving dinner here for years. This past turkey day, however, will be our last.

Ambiance: I like the atmosphere here. Plants, fountains, open spaces. The pianist was a nice touch.

Reservations: The person on the end of the phone was pleasant enough. After the information was taken she mentioned that they were "doing things a little different this year." She also said the price was still the same. $19.95 per person.

For clarification, in years past this restaurant had an amazing buffet. A ballroom filled with great food constantly replenished and kept fresh and hot. Several kinds of appetizers, real turkey, roast beef, seafood newburg, real mashed with the skins on, two kinds of stuffing, a multitude of beverage, bread and desert options......

So much for the good old days.

Arrival: We were on time for our reservation. The hostess passed out menus to give us something to do while we waited 20 minutes for our table in a half empty restaurant. Errr, menus? There was no longer a buffet. We could order off the holiday menu or the regular menu. So that's what the reservation taker meant by "a little different this year." The kids were disappointed there would be no chocolate fountain but they took it well.

Service: The waitress was friendly and very personable. Problem was, she was incredibly slow. When we asked for extra gravy, it took two requests and 15 minutes to get it. By then, it was cold and congealed. This was an ongoing problem. It took multiple requests and forever to get anything. She would apologize then say she forgot what we wanted. Bottom line, 3 plus hours for dinner is way too long for two little kids and a baby to tolerate.

Main dish: We all decided against appetizers. I ordered the turkey off the holiday menu and husband had the scallops off the regular menu. The turkey dinner consisted of a slice of turkey breast with a splash of congealed gravy, a tablespoon of stuffing that was so soupy it dripped off the fork, 6 tough green beans, a teaspoon of canned corn and a dollop of dry mashed potatoes. All of it arrived totally devoid of heat. Husband's ice cold scallop dinner consisted of 4 miniscule scallops burned beyond recognition, dried out rice and the same hard green beans the rest of us had. The dinner rolls were stale. On the bright side, the salad was crisp and the cranberry relish was delightful.

Desert: This was an event in itself. We were left with desert menus for over a half hour. After ordering, it took an additional 41 minutes for it to arrive. To make matters worse, it tasted like pre-packaged frozen stuff that fell off some low-end freezer truck. Husband had an Irish coffee. Needless to say, by the time he got it, it was frigid and the whipped cream was starting to decompose. He couldn't taste any Bailey's in it either. To avoid the kitchen staff, I ordered a Chambord on the rocks with a twist of lime. Lucky me, the bartender got that right.

The price for dinner may have been the same as the buffet, but n/a beverages and desert that were once included were now extra. Mom always likes to buy dinner. She is on a fixed income and plans the Thanksgiving dinner budget in advance. The considerable increase in price was a shock. Especially since she was told there was no change in price.

Mom called the following day to voice our collective displeasure. She was told no one was available at the moment and the manager would call her back at 4 pm. The call never came.

What a surprise -- not.

Conclusion: There is nothing foodie about this place except for the price. The wine list is lame. The chef is so inept, he/she can't make something as simple as stuffing. The deserts are over-sugared, partially frozen masses of synthetic ingredients. The service is slow and scatter-brained.

There are better eating establishments on Market Street in this price range. Run, don't walk past Grill 125.

5  Thank PrivyChamber