“Don't skip the fries!”

Holmes' Plate
Ranked #21 of 67 Restaurants in Corning
Cuisines: American, Gastropub, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Upscale Family-Friendly Pub awarded The Best Burger in Upstate NY by Life in the Finger Lakes Magazine, voted a destination restaurant by AAA of Western NY and The Best BBQ in the Southern Tier of NY State by Gannet/USA Today. 18 Craft/Micro Brewed Beer Draft System. 中国的菜单。
Coopersburg, Pennsylvania
“Don't skip the fries!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stopped here intending for my husband to just get a beer and move on to a different place for dinner, but ran into the owner at the bar. He told us how they smoked their own meats and made everything in house. We did go across the street to the brew pub for a second beer but came back for dinner.

We decided to share the Smoked BBQ sampler platter and were able to swap the baked beans for french fries. This allowed us to try the barbequed beef, pulled pork, ribs and a chicken leg along with the fries, tossed salad, coleslaw and homemade cornbread. With the exception of the chicken, everything was just delicious. To be fair, the chicken may have been good, but in comparison with everything else it just wasn't over the top worth the calories. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited June 2013

Charleston, South Carolina
“Mediocre at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

First off our menus didn't agree on prices. My husband ordered the briscuit platter no smoky flavor to the meat, canned beans, jiffy mix cornbread and bland coleslaw. All for the bargain price of $18 not a good deal at all. I ordered a filet sandwich with sweet potato chips the waitress suggested that I try honey for a dollar up charge to which I said ok and then of course no honey again this was not a cheap sandwich. I do think I will cross this place off my lists of places to eat when in Corning.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank redhare54
Elmira, New York
“Bad food and poor management.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

The worst experience I have ever had at any type of dinning establishment (and I am including fast food). We ordered the BBQ sampler and the Brisket platter for take out (due to a kitchen remodel project we have been eating a lot of take out). Holmes Plate was a new pick for us, we were previously unaware that they had BBQ dishes to offer so I was very excited about this new find. My excitement was shattered once I looked at the "brisket" and saw it looked more like roast beef smothered in BBQ sauce mixed all together like you would have it for sandwiches. It was sliced super thin tough and tasteless. If it was even brisket it was sliced the wrong way not across the grain as it should have been. There was no smoke ring so in my opinion it was not prepared as a traditional "smoked brisket".The chicken was mediocre at best, the pulled pork was very strange it had an odd flavor to it that I didn't enjoy. The sides were in my opinion inedible the "German cole slaw" was absolutely tasteless the beans were straight from the can and the cornbread was spongy and burnt.

So I decided to call and talk to a manager (which I never do). The woman I spoke to was quite nice and was concerned about the situation. Tho I could hear the cook(?) in the background yelling about how good everything was. She told me she would look into it and get back to me the next day. At this point I had to go back out and get something else for dinner because the food was so gross neither my husband or I wanted to eat it.

The next day the manger never called back so I went in to talk to someone and follow up. The owner (who is the managers husband) was there and I started to talk with him. He was absolutely unconcerned about my experience at his establishment. All he had to say was that his brisket was very expensive and that they use dry rub on their meat so there would be no smoke ring (not true). He told me I was rude to accuse him of not having real brisket (so I retracted and said it was just like not brisket I had EVER seen before). I never once asked for a refund I was only following up and returning he food for their inspection as I was not going to be eating it. I was polite while speaking with him and he was instantly rude in return. He told me they were understaffed and his wife was pregnant. I am sorry but that is not my problem as your customer. Customer service is suppose to be number one.

So at this point the owner blatantly told me that if I didn't like it he didn't need me as a customer and told me to leave. I was dumbfounded at his response I have never even heard of someone being treated like that by a manager let alone an owner. Obviously I will not be visiting Holmes plate again.

• Visited April 2013
6 Thank Sara P
“Onsight owner knows how to treat and greet customers and direct staff to please the patrons.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great eating establishment for both kids and adults. A plus, plus rating. A must place eatery when in Corning, NY. Off street parking behind building. Enter in thru back door and watch the kitchen chefs preparing the menu items. Plan on marking this place as one to return to.
Corsair5

Buffalo, NY
“Great Restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My family and I went to Holmes' Plate for a birthday dinner for my Son-in-law and couldn't have been happier! We got a table right away. We had 3 children under the age of 4 and 2 children 11 & 12. Brennon, the owner, came over to our table and asked if our waitress had taken our drink order (she had). He also asked if we needed any questions about our menu, and my husband did. Brennon offered my husband a sample of the corned beef (what restaurant does that?). Seeing the children at the table Brennon stated there was a play room for them and if they did not want to leave the table (we also had a 1 yr old), he told us he could bring the games to them. At a nearby table there was another child about 1 yr old, and the waitress did bring toys for him to play with. Our order was placed and my burger and my son-in-law's was switched by the waitress and neither of us noticed, at first. I called the waitress over and she immediately took it to the cook who made a fresh burger for me. At the time of the desserts, my granddaughter was asked if she would like something. She answered "no" and the waitress offered her a sample of what her dad had, which she took. Again, I ask what restaurant does this? The waitress stopped by our table multiple times and on the last stop we got to chat with her. She had extensive food education background and complimented Brennon on his business sense with the restaurant. Brennon came to our table one last time and shook our hands and invited us back. I was VERY impressed with this restaurant and can't wait to come back.

• Visited March 2013