“definitely recommended”

Econo Lodge Darien Lakes
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Corfu
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Bigger-than-average room, quiet, desk person bent over backwards, clean, clean, clean. Perfect basic room, and highly recommended for that. Only downside was a rusty old "help wanted" sign out front -- covered with chicken wire no less -- gives a very bad first impression. I'm mystified at Robbie049's review.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank daytripperusually

Reviewed September 8, 2010

The Darien Lake Econo Lodge is a miserable experience for $110. Blistering hot to icy cold shower, scratched furniture, fuzzy 5 channel cable, uncaring staff, and a crummy Subway Sandwich joint next door. We stayed here because we thought the only other option was the exorbitantly high priced amusement park accommodations. The next day we found out that if you drive just 15 minutes to Transit Avenue there are about a dozen way better motels for just 50 bucks more, and believe me it is worth it. We ended up the next night at a La Quinta (as we needed another night for concert, water park, and Niagara falls) which was perfectly fine. Also just moments away from the La Quinta is a 3D Imax theater and fantastic Indian and Thai Food. Check it out, you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised given my last experience here and also given the very poor comments on various websites including this one. My wife and I stayed with our three year old (on a rollaway bed). Our bedroom was clean and fresh feeling. Bathroom was just fine with a good shower and nice towels...and FREE WiFi. Air conditioning worked wonderfully and the breakfast was impressive (waffles, bagels, english muffins, cereal, boiled eggs, some fruit, donuts). My only small complaint was that I find $100+ dollars per night quite expensive for the hotel and location. Nevertheless I feel much more comfortable about staying here again. My recommendation would be to be sure that when you walk into your room it looks good and smells good, if not just ask for another one.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank PragueFriend
Reviewed July 12, 2009

My daughter and I stayed here overnight to attend a concert at Darien Lake. We stayed on the second floor. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly. It is conveniently located off the thruway and only five minutes or so from Darien Lake. We paid a little more than I would have liked, but I would expect this being the Summer season and near the thruway. Also, it was the only room I could find, as everything was booked solid. In the morning, the continental breakfast was good. Food was fresh and the staff were replenishing as we ate and cleaning tables as soon as the guests were finished. My only dislike was the first floor hallway smelling of smoke, as this was the smoking floor. I usually prefer nonsmoking hotels, but again I had to take what was available. Overall, I would stay here again on the second floor, which is all nonsmoking. Our room was clean and smoke-free.

• Stayed: July 2009
2  Thank maddieGlenfield
Reviewed November 13, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for one night after a great day at Darien Lake, and it was perfect for all we needed...

We actually passes the hotel on the way to the park (it's right off the highway) and it's literally 2-5 minutes down the road to Darien Lake. Super close and convenient!

We wanted to stay late at the park to watch the laser/fireworks show, but we got cold so decided to check into the hotel and got back later. A younger girl checked us in and she was very sweet and friendly. Check in and check out were a breeze. There's a big sitting area with dining tables by the front desk, and a nice tv and fireplace I believe. There's a continental breakfast, but we slept in.

We had a room on the 2nd floor, right in the corner. I liked how it overlooked the parking lot so I could see my car. The room was great - really huge and clean. We had a nice king sized bed, dresser with tv, desk and chair, table with chairs and wireless internet. The bathroom even had a marble (looking?) countertop - very posh looking. Simple toiletries provided - facial soap, body soap and shampoo. Lots of clean towels in the bathroom. Also a coffee maker and coffee, but no tea.

There was a big heater/air conditioner in the room with multiple settings, but it was very easy to use and heats/cools the room quickly. It's not silent, but not annoyingly loud either. It's actually a nice hum to fall asleep to haha.

The bed was comfortable and I believe the tv had HBO movies on it. I wasn't disturbed by any noises while there, but my boyfriend said he heard a few people in the halls around 4am but it didn't last long. There were security cameras in the halls and I felt safe.

The hotel advertises a local pizza place just down the road (I can't remember the name) on plastic card things on the desk. We ordered pizza from there but it was awful - I wouldn't recommend it! Instead, there is a Subway right next door, or we ate an AMAZING, cheap buffet breakfast the next morning at a diner across the road, in the gas station (it's a big truck stop - and no, I was never disturbed by any loud trucks in our room, even though we faced the road). The store in the gas station is also quite interesting - so many random things! There's also a couple vending machines on the main floor of the hotel in a stairwell. Good selection.

I'd definitely stay in this hotel again - we had no issues at all. We loved how close it was to the theme park and highway. It was clean and all we needed.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Sugar_Piggie_18
Reviewed August 17, 2008

If you get a clean room and have no problems that require a manager's help, consider yourself lucky. Our room was dirty and smelled of over-powering animal urine. Were told "no pets were in the room - someone must have run the shower too long." What?! We left and came back around midnight. Front desk person was nice but not helpful - only offered a spray. For over 90 minutes we continued to contact the front desk to kindly ask for another room, air purifyer, to be put at another hotel... anything. Told nothing they could do but give us a spray. No manager on duty. Tried to sleep with hands over our noses - didn't help. Throat was burning from allergic reaction to strong urine in the room. We remained calm and respectful, despite our frustration, as we know these things happen. By 1:30am, we asked for cancellation/refund so we could sleep in our car. Suddenly, she had a new room for us. New room was clean and smelled much better - got a few hours of sleep before we had to get up early and leave. Asked to speak with manager in a.m. Things got much worse. We were very polite, but manager was immediately unprofessional, immature, and outride rude. We were taken aback by her behavior. She snapped that they put us in a new room so we should not be complaining. She offered no apology or concessions. During our conversation she rolled her eyes(!), asked about our relationship(!), and even THREATENED that we better not make any phone calls, write letters, or post anything online about our stay! Unbelievable. This manager said she has been with the hotel 20 years and never issued a refund. She ultimately issued a full refund, as we simply would not leave until she did so. Still got no apology though. This manager needs some training in customer service relations so she may better represent this hotel. I found her to be far more offensive than the urine-soaked room. I cannot recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank BizOwnerTraveler
ManagerEconoLodge, Manager at Econo Lodge Darien Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2008

Unfortunately, you can't please everyone!

At 9am in the morning after her stay, this female guest requested to see me (I'm the manager). She stated that her room smelled. I asked that I have a few minutes to research the problem.

Upon review, I found that my staff had moved this guests room.

I spoke with the guest asked if there was a problem with the second room. She stated that this was not the point. She stated that she was inconvenienced because the first room smelled so bad. I said that we try to accommodate guests if they have an issue by resolving the problem (we provided spray) or moving the room (we ultimately did). At this point, in full earshot of the busy breakfast room, a male interviened and stated that he was unhappy with our hotel and that he would let TripAdvisor know.

I asked who the man was. I felt I needed to know, if he was going to post a complaint on the internet. I did not know if he had stayed here or if he was just her transportation. She did say that he was a friend of hers who did stay in the room.

The woman complained about the smell in the room. I had gone in and smelled it in the morning- they had eaten some food and left it and some wrappers in the room. I had my maintenance manager check it - he thought that they had run the heater inadvertently (when you do this in the middle of the summer after it has not been run in 4 months, it does smell a little upon start up). The room did smell - but nothing that I personally wouln't have slept in - but these people were complaining and I trust my staff to manage the issues that come about on their shift.

However, that night we were sold out for the Jonas Brothers Concert, which was down the road. We really had no rooms to move her to.

After she had repeatedly complained after returning from the concert after 11pm, my staff took a chance to move her to a room that no one had come to claim after the concert had let out, even though there were still pending arrivals with guaranteed reservations. This is a risk because if the people with the reservation do show up, then our hotel has to pay for the room for that party. (In our industry, we do know our history of no-shows and manage overbookings accordingly, just like an airline, but this is still risky - the front desk agent waited a period of time to make sure the rush after the concert was over and took a calculated risk that the arrival would not show up).

The guests moved to the other room. It was fully used in the morning ( I checked).

I did apologize that she was inconvenienced. However, I explained that we did not readily have a room for her to which to move because of the pending arrival.

I did give her a full refund to try to save the bad TripAdvisor Review and to remove her from the busy hotel lobby. (In retrospect, I shouldn't have). I told her that I have never given a full refund for a room that someone had stayed in for my entire career here (If you used the room, you have consumed hotel services, and the hotel is due its compensation). At the end of the conversation, she did thank me for the refund.

Well, unfortunatey, the hotel doesn't have her money and I have this complaint posted on the internet.

So live and learn.

Reviewed August 7, 2008

I was with a group of people who were working at nearby Darien Lake for a few days and we decided to stay in the Econo Lodge. While other Econo Lodges are usually in the $60-80 range, this one was around $108 a night, and this was with a discount.

The rooms were what you will usually find in an Econo Lodge: cable, AC, etc. No complaints about cleanliness. It would have been nice to have had a quieter AC unit but it's better than nothing at all. Free wireless is always nice as well.

Overall, if you need a place to stay, it's better than the campgrounds at Darien Lake if you want a quieter night of sleep but you will need to drive back and forth and so on. Traffic can be a pain after a large event but it is only 3 miles away from the park so it doesn't delay your travel too much.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Econo Lodge Darien Lakes? Share your experiences!