“Best Breakfast Ever”
Review of The Barnwell Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cooperstown
The Barnwell Inn
Ranked #7 of 29 Cooperstown B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Best Breakfast Ever”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We recently stayed at the Barnwell Inn in Cooperstown, NY, and everything was perfect. The hosts, Tara and Mark Barnwell, were most gracious and welcoming. The rooms in the historic 1850 house all have private baths, and some are suites. All are beautiful. But the most amazing part of the visit was the breakfast prepared by Mark. He and Tara serve about 9 am and this time it included an egg-and-taco dish, homemade biscuits, bacon and red-eye gravy!!! Real red-eye gravy!! There was also fresh fruit, juice and coffee, and special dishes for those who needed them.While breakfast seems to be different every morning, it is always really fresh and wonderful. I highly recommend The Barnwell Inn.

Room Tip: The room on the ground floor is offered as a suite. The yellow room is quite large. The green room i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BklynNotes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2013

All of the good things you read about the Barnwell Inn are true. I could not have felt more at home if I was in my own home. The breakfast is simply sensational. The location is perfect - a short walk from downtown but just far enough away to allow a quiet night's rest. Our suite had it's own little verandah overlooking the yard - perfect to sit and sip a glass of wine.

The Hall of Fame (by the way) is really first class. It would be easy to make this a kitschy/cheesy affair but it isn't. This is a definite pilgrimage must for ball fans. To be clear, however, even if you're not a ball fan you cannot help but be caught up in the history that is gathered in the hall.

Tara simply goes out of her way to make everyone feel welcome. Maybe it was luck of the draw but all of the guests were nice as well. Without question we'll be back at the Barnwell and you can be sure I will be sending freidns and family in the same direction.

Room Tip: Hard to go wrong with any of the rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Surrey
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was my first visit to Cooperstown and the Barnwell Inn had been recommended by a colleague. It completely lived up to everything he said about it. The accommodation is charming and comfortable, the breakfast is quite amazingly good and the level of service is simply outstanding. I shall certainly stay there again the next time I have to visit the town and I cannot recommend it too highly. Exceptional!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We went to Cooperstown to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame and booked the Barnwell Inn based on reviews we read on tripadvisor. So glad we did because it was fabulous. Tara and Mark are brilliant hosts,Tara with a wealth of information about restaurants etc and Mark with his delicious cooking! The breakfasts were fantastic - no need for lunch! The location was good because it was a few minutes walk to Main Street where the restaurants and the baseball museum was so we didn't need the car at all. We stayed in the Yellow room which was really comfortable.
There is a tram which runs around the town and out to the farmers museum and the Fennimore Art museum. We visited the latter which had some interesting exhibits.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RGMG53
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I just got back from a weekend in Cooperstown with my brother. What a great trip. And a lot of the credit goes to Mark and Tara at the Barnwell Inn. I had never stayed at a B&B and was, admittedly, a bit reluctant and not sure what to expect. From the minute I met Tara, however, I knew we were in good hands. The Inn and our downstairs suite were as charming and inviting as the Village. We thoroughly enjoyed sipping bourbon in the cozy, well-appointed sitting room. It was the perfect setting to take a breath from kids, work, and the everyday hustle-and-bustle of life to enjoy some rare time with my brother. I must also mention the food—Amazing—with a capital A. It felt like I was waking up on Christmas morning knowing that Mark’s breakfast was waiting for me! A week later I’m still going through peach cobbler withdrawal. In all seriousness, though, I absolutely recommend staying here without qualification. Trust me on this. It’s like being at home with friends (who cook much better yours!). It’s funny, we went to Cooperstown for the HOF, but I’m telling everyone about the Barnwell Inn!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Justin H
wv
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just returned from 2 nights at the Barnwell Inn and just had to add to all the 5-star reviews it sooooo deserves! I haven't stayed at a lot of B and Bs but the few I stayed at didn't come close to the wonderful breakfasts we had at the Barnwell Inn. The home is so charming and comfortable. Mark and Tara make you feel so at home you feel like you're old friends from the first time you meet. We had the yellow room which was very spacious for a house built in 1850. Large bath also. My brother and his wife stayed in the burgundy room which they loved and it was even equipped with a mini fridge. But the best part of all were the breakfasts - to die for! Mark is an awesome cook. The French bread casserole was awesome but my favorite was his egg dish made with spinach and feta cheese with Swiss cheese on top. Absolutely delicious. And there was so much! You could help yourself to as much as you liked. It was enough to last all day.

If we ever return to Cooperstown we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We spent a few days in Cooperstown during our grandson's baseball tournament. Our stay at the Barnwell Inn was the perfect exclamation point to a rainy week in a beautiful little town. Because the weather was not great, we found ourselves spending more than our usual amount of time indoors. It couldn't have been nicer. The entire Inn is homey and very comfortable. The library is loaded with books, and some vintage magazines. As though anything needed to be added, the ever gracious Tara provides a very nice decanter of sherry in the afternoon. What could be better? Mark and Tara's breakfasts were beyond description. Interesting and delicious food, prepared fresh and served beautifully. It was a crime not to go back for seconds. We unhesitatingly highly recommend Barnwell Inn for any stay in the Cooperstown area. The Inn itself is only outshined by the charm and warmth of the Innkeepers, Mark and Tara.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family