“wonderful innkeeper”
Review of The Barnwell Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cooperstown
The Barnwell Inn
Ranked #7 of 28 Cooperstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 1, 2013

First, I must open by stating that we did not actually stay at the Inn. We are travelling with another couple who did not feel comfortable staying at a small b&b and wanted a larger inn. But I had such a wonderful experience with Tara, one of the innkeepers, that I wanted to post a review. She answered all of my questions in a timely, professional and informative manner. If the inn is anything like its owner, it can only be a fabulous place. Just her tone and the time she took made me feel welcome without even stepping foot in the inn. Should my husband and I travel to the area again, I won't have to do any research - just get back in touch with Tara and make a reservation.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank geneva18

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here last July and I have been remiss in submitting a review for Barnwell but did want to share the positive experience we had. Tara and Mark are wonderful hosts and did everything they could to make us feel welcome and at home. The yellow room we stayed in had the most comfortable bed and the location couldn't be beat. Tara also gave us good recommendations on restaurants and things to do. We really enjoyed Ommegan brewery and the opera. Mark makes the most awesome breakfast with plenty to eat and the grits were absolutely the best we have ever had. We will certanly be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Barnwell Inn on Labor Day. Mark and Tara were so warm and welcoming; we truly felt as though we were staying with friends. Our yellow room was cheery, beautifully decorated, and very comfortable. We had read about the fantastic breakfast, but our hosts exceeded our expectations! We have never had a more light and fluffy quiche, the pecan biscuits were delightful, and the peach cobbler was over-the-top scrumptious! We had told Mark and Tara that we are usually light breakfast eaters...well, we made an exception that morning, with no regrets. Since we had visited the Hall of Fame several years ago, we decided to go to the Farmer's Museum in Cooperstown. We ended up spending most of the day there, and it was wonderful. We felt like we were stepping back in time, due to the authentic buildings and folks in period attire. I highly recommend it.
You need not look any further if you are planning a trip to Cooperstown and surrounding areas. The Barnwell Inn is the place to stay. We would return in a heartbeat, and hope to in the future!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LAH6862
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I can see why there is so much approval of the Barnwell Inn. The rooms are very comfortable, the location a few blocks from the Baseball Hall of Fame and good restaurants makes it an easy choice for a visit to Cooperstown. Breakfast was sumptuous--peach cobbler and an excellent quiche. The hosts are hospitable but not intrusive. By all means, book a room!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David P
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband's team was invited to play in a tournament the first weekend in October. We had no idea where to stay so I checked out the reviews of various hotels and B & B's. I was immediately drawn to the Barnwell Inn. Tara greeted us upon our arrival and helped us with our suitcases. We stayed in the beautiful Burgundy Room upstairs. The bed was comfortable and the room suited us perfectly. Each morning Mark and Tara served us the most amazing breakfasts. My favorites included the baked blueberry French toast casserole, homemade turtle cheesecake, peach cobbler, quiches, meats and fresh baked biscuits. We were able to park our car on their property and walk to nearby places since they were close to the center of town. We visited the Baseball Hall of Fame and really enjoyed the local Farmer's Market. It was truly a memorable fall weekend. I would definitely stay here again, thanks to the warm hospitality of Tara and Mark!

Room Tip: We loved the Burgundy room because it had a king sized bed, flat screen tv, small refrigerator, and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dianefino
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights in September while visiting Cooperstown so he could visit the Baseball Hall of Fame.. While we do not usually stay in bed and breakfasts, we chose the Barnwell Inn based on how close it is to the Hall of Fame (and the rest of downtown Cooperstown) and the previous reviews on Tripadvisor... I would like to say that the reviews are all correct... we had a wonderful stay! Tara and Mark are wonderful hosts.. and Mark is a wonderful chef! As other reviewers have said, the breakfast spread is incredible! We had the most wonderful peach cobbler and a heavenly stuffed french toast... We pigged out on everything and then didn't have to eat again until dinnertime.. We stayed in the downstairs suite and enjoyed having the sitting room to rest in after our day exploring Cooperstown. The location is very convenient.. it would be an easy walk to the HOF and downtown Cooperstown, but we drove since my husband was having knee problems... Since it was "off-season" we had no problem with parking, but for someone visiting in the summertime, it would be quite convenient to leave your car at the Inn and walk.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to message me... But the bottom line is... if you are planning a trip to Cooperstown, this is THE place to stay!

Room Tip: Downstairs suite is worth the extra cost - to have the extra sitting room area.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank puppymama1
Reviewed October 5, 2012

During my drive to Cooperstown from Buffalo (after flying from SoCal), Tara was nice enough to contact me by phone several times so we could update each other about plans for my arrival. Due to a last-minute commitment, Tara was unable to greet me upon arrival, but instead left me a personalized message(!) on the front door, with instructions on where to find my upgraded suite (I didn't even ask), an invitation to come and go as I please, and even to help myself to the sherry in the sitting room.

The Inn is on a fairly quiet street, so I had no problem sleeping WITHOUT earplugs, which I always bring with me on trips ... just in case. My comfortable bed in the Burgundy Suite was huuuge, but still left enough space for easy moving around and spreading out stuff from my luggage. Even thought the bathroom overall was not giant, it was very well appointed and included a roomy shower with a modern fixture and fairly instant hot water. There was even a little swing-out cantilevered hook (clever) so one could hang the bath towel right outside of the shower door. I'm not much of a TV watcher, but I like to check out the remote (it's a guy thing) and happened to notice that the cable menu had something like 10,473 channels, which is more than the limited offerings in many places. The entry room, prior to the bedroom, had furniture for relaxing, plus a dorm room-sized fridge for storing Cokes.

Much to my joy, I found a guitar hiding behind an arm chair in the sitting room. B&Bs get extra points for providing guitars, provided the guitars have all six strings (ahem!) as this one did. Anyway, it's a quiet inn, so I was able to get in some practicing without disruptions from foot traffic or chatter from other rooms. Oh, did I mention the sherry?

The breakfasts, oh boy! I have never experienced anything like multi-course, gourmet selections of fruit, egg dishes, meats, cobbler, pastry, potato dishes, etc. I'm typically a yogurt and bagel guy, so my breakfasts by Mark "I'm just the cook" Barnwell made me feel like a dignitary at some fine resort. Mark should go by "Chef de cuisine" . . . a much more fitting moniker.

My stay included visits to the Baseball HOF, Fenimore Museum and Hyde Hall (nearest to farthest from the Inn), with directions provided by the hosts. And, just before I left, Mark and Tara gave great advice on which routes to take for my drive to other parts of New York and Connecticut.

So, my conclusion is that you should stay at the Barnwell Inn if you visit Cooperstown. Maybe I'll see you at breakfast during my next trip over there, but please don't hog the guitar.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo