“Some good, some bad... we'll be back.”
Review of Lake N Pines Motel

Lake N Pines Motel
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
Reviewed September 9, 2008

This place will remind you of trips you took with your parents to family-run motels when you were a child, right down to that motel-room smell. Our kids, both preschoolers, had a great time here, and we had a great time watching them. It's an attractive property, sloping down a hillside to the lake, and an easy drive into Cooperstown. We enjoyed being away from the traffic in town.

Offseason rates here are beyond reasonable for Cooperstown, but peak season rates are a good bit higher. Depending on what you're looking for they may or may not be worth it to you.

We had a poolside room with no lake view whatsoever. I was disappointed at first but that wore off quickly. My older son was thrilled to be right next to the pool, and it turned to be really convenient to be able to step right back into our room from the pool area. If you have preschoolers you'll know what I mean. Our room wasn't the only one without a good lake view, so you should be very specific about your needs when you make your reservation if the view is important to you. (FYI, there are some poolside rooms with balconies overlooking the lake. We might try for one of these next time.)

Our room was clean, but as other reviewers have mentioned, some updating is necessary. The pink carpeting and matching bedspreads in our room were right out of the 80's. We had no issues with bugs or cobwebs. Mattresses were comfortable, the carpet was clean, and although there were two connecting doors in our room we heard nothing from the neighbors on either side. Our bathroom was fine, stocked with inexpensive soap and etc., and plenty of standard-sized bath towels. Not as huge and fluffy as the ones at a four star hotel, of course, but they got the job done. The bathroom was absolutely spotless and that was the most important thing to us.

My four-year-old loved the outdoor pool because he could actually stand up in the shallow end. It was heaven for a kid who spends most of his time in hotel pools getting carried around by one of his parents. The pool and the pool area were very clean and the water was fairly warm, even this early in the season., but the pool isn't huge and I imagine that it could get pretty crowded on hot midsummer days. We didn't use the indoor pool but I took a walk through the building where it's located and it looked clean and well-maintained.

The game room is just OK, nothing fancy. More than adequate for my little boys but older kids might well be disappointed. There are better places to spend rainy days in Cooperstown anyway.

The beach isn't exactly a beach. It's small, rocky, and almost more of a parking area for people who had a boat at the dock. The lake is truly beautiful, though, and my boys loved the paddleboats. I saw more paddleboats stacked up beside a building near the lake, so they may put additional boats in the water when they're needed. We never had a problem getting a boat when we wanted one. This would be the perfect place to bring your own canoe or kayak, if you have one.

Breakfast is fine, no better or worse than your average complimentary breakfast, with your standard selection of breads, pastries, donuts, fruit, yogurt, juice, and cereal. Everything was fresh and kept at the proper temperature during our stay. We enjoyed our walk to and from the building where breakfast is served every morning, but it is located at the bottom of the property so be warned if you have physical issues that make it difficult to walk up and down hills. There were plenty of tables, including several out on a deck overlooking the lake. We never had a problem getting a table out there, and I couldn't figure out why. It was a wonderful way to start the day.

The bottom line: this isn't a fancy place, and it isn't perfect, but we found it clean, comfortable, and much more peaceful than busier locations in town. There's a real sense of nostalgia here that was very appealing to us. It's a great place to bring small children; most of the other guests during our stay were families with children and we never felt that our kids were an annoyance to anyone. If you enjoy spending a lot of time outdoors, especially on the water, you might like it here as well. If you prefer more upscale amenities, or if you have older children, you'd probably prefer to stay in town... particularly during the off-season when you might want more options for indoor entertainment.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mlsg1

Reviewed September 3, 2008

We stayed here for one night in August. We liked the location of the motel as it was off the road and close to the lake. Many rooms appeared to have decent water views. Our big concerns are with the quality and condition of the room.

We stayed in a lakefront room, bottom floor. The bed had plastic sheeting on it and the mattress was very thin, somewhat like an infant crib mattress thickness and quality. I did ask the front desk to remove the plastic sheeting and to their credit, they did.

We found the carpet to be dirty as described by other reviewers. In fact, the whole room appeared in need of a face lift. The towels were indeed thread bare. There were two very small, thin bath towels and these were not really adequate to dry an adult of average size. We left them a towel we had traveled with since we were near the end of our road trip. The bathroom shower area contained the soap and shampoo from a previous guest so that too was overlooked by housekeeping.

The blind over the door (which had a window in it) was not a room darkening blind and the light from the outside was shining in brightly. I finally took the comforter off of the bed to hang over the door. The room curtains were very plastic feeling and cheap and felt more like a shower curtain than a window curtain.

We had a two week road trip throughout Massachusetts, Maine, Quebec city, and Vermont and of our many nights in hotels, this was by far our worst experience. I don’t normally like to post negative reviews but I wanted to warn others that this is not the most comfortable of rooms to stay in. For one night, we survived just fine but it would be difficult to be there for longer. The room was quite small. Some of the rooms may be newer as some reviews found here appear to sound much nicer. We must have had a room in an older section. I don’t feel we got our money’s worth.

It is a pretty property and the lake is lovely. I don’t think it would take too much to improve this place.

Next time, we’d probably choose a lovely bed and breakfast a bit closer to Cooperstown.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ricknmeme
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We stayed two nights starting August 23. We found it to be quite nice and relaxing. There were two paddle boats and a row boat.
The hillside location made it somewhat difficult for the knees (if you have problems) coming to and fro from the dock and breakfast areas, but it was beautiful to wake up to a sunrise coming across the lake. Very scenic. Enjoyed the hummingbirds feeding by one of the cottages after breakfast. I agree the short drive into Cooperstown was quite scenic. The only complaint I have is that the beds were extremely uncomfortable and should be replaced. The room was very large and clean. Yes it was pricey but so were most of the places I looked into around the area. I would stay there again if the beds were more comfortable.

1  Thank tjb
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Family of 4 stayed at LNP for three nights. I didn't share the unacceptable experiences reported by the previous two reviewers. I did have a non-adjoining room facing the lake, so you need to ask for same if you want a clear view of Otsego Lake and don't want to share a door with strangers.

Beds were fine, cleanliness acceptable, amenities appropriate for the price paid. Keep in mind that LNP is a traditional motel whose main selling point is its location. It can't compete with the Courtyards and Hampton Inns but of course there aren't any of those on the lake (There are a Holiday Inn and HoJo on Route 28 south of Cooperstown). Compared to the other lakeside motels, LNP has a more attractive layout. For example, others have rooms up near the roadway; LNP's accommodations are further down the slope to the lakeshore.

The pools are tiny but heated and clean. My kids declared the game room "lame" and - apart from the air hockey - I have to agree. There were two paddleboats and a rowboat available free for guests; you sign them out at the front desk and receive mandatory lifevests at that time. You can swim from LNP's dock but the lake bottom in the area is unpleasant, with several inches of mushy silt.

The walls are average for a motel of wood construction. I could muffled TV noise from next door. The motel has five picnic tables and two BBQ grills overlooking the lake. Bathroom towels and toiletries are of the cheapest variety. There are vending machines for snacks (inside the office lobby that closes at 10pm) soft drinks, and ice cream (outdoors). If you need anything else, you'll have to get in your car.

Service was average. Front desk staff were pleasant but not solicitous. Housekeeping was efficient but missed replacing our empty tissue box.

Lake N' Pines is a pleasant and affordable option for families visiting Cooperstown.

Reviewed August 22, 2008

We don't mind places a little rough around the edges, and the Lake and Pines was okay for the most part - the room was big, the lake view was blocked, but no big deal, the pools were a bit funky, and the one paddle boat and one row boat listed dangerously, but were fun anyway.

I like the parking lot scene with all the kids goofing around, and the jolly locals doing their thing, but overall, the value is terrible. The in-season rate was absurd, but because most of the visitors are from the east they don't give it a thought. For regular folks from outside the big cities, I suggest either off season travel or staying out of town.

The breakfast was all right too, with lots of bags of doughnuts that carried through the rest of trip and good coffee, no doubt. The discount ticket to the HOF helped too. The staff were nice, but couldn't direct us to some of the attactions like the breweries.

$60 yes, $180 never again!

2  Thank Bucketline
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Please cancel your reservation if you are planning to go to Lake N Pines Hotel.
I stayed there from July 28-30 and had to pay $156 a night in order to stay at a hotel near the Baseball Hall of Fame.
The rooms smell horrible with stained carpet, threadbare towels, flat pillows, and no noise buffering between rooms.
In fact, there was a door between our room and the next and you could see into the next room. I felt like I was on the set of Psycho.
Lake N Pines should be ashamed to charge so much for so little!
Terrible--you need to upgrade now!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank BusytravelerOh
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Just returned from 3 nights at the Lake 'N Pines and I would recommend canceling your stay if you are booked. The motel is beyond rustic! First, our two bedroom queen w/ a lake view contained many bugs and a noxious odor. One of the beds in the room had BUGS on it! Second, the beds were extremely uncomfortable. The springs of the mattresses simply did not work! The beds need to be REPLACED. Third, the lake could be seen if I twisted my neck left while looking out he window. I adressed my concerns with the front desk and I was told to fill out the customer questionnaire in the room. BTW the front office closes at 9PM. Breakfast is located down two steep hills and the donuts and bagels are left in plastic containers over night. I did not see the rat traps in the pool bathroom but if I had I would have packed up. Also the brochure states free access to paddle boats & row boats. The motel has 1 of each. The towels are all the size of hand towels so please bring your own. Cooperstown is beautiful & the Baseball Hall of Fame is definitely worth the trip.

• Stayed: July 2008
4  Thank bobnicpop
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooperstown
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
Comfort Inn & Suites Milford/Cooperstown
Bayside Inn & Marina
Bayside Inn & Marina
#5 of 16 in Cooperstown

Been to Lake N Pines Motel? Share your experiences!