“Nostalgic Motel”
Review of Mohican Motel

Mohican Motel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Cooperstown
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

I agree with the other reviewers…our room was clean & this is a basic older motel, I loved the knotty-pine walls as it took me back to motels of my younger days. A little more then I like to pay for a Mom/Pop motel but there were events going on as w/any free enterprise, prices go up. It fit the bill for our night's stay so we were very satisfied.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank JAFLP

Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Other reviews are largely accurate and led me to book one Room for one night for me and my family here. Very clean rooms, furniture/decor is old but not cheap. Hard to describe but clean and very usable. It's a motel and for what it is, it's great. Right off trolley system, so visiting museums is as simple as possible. Wifi is strong and free. I got a room with three double beds, which suited our needs well and is not typically available. Great value pick, room was very affordable, but not a hotel. No pool so wouldn't stay here with family for a week. Would stay here again in a heartbeat for a short stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Das_boots_1
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a very basic motel that's a nice 10 minute walk to Main St. The room was small but comfortable and clean. Good value. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank spartanap
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We had connecting rooms with 3dbl beds. We had stopped and checked prices at different hotels about 20 miles out. Mohican was very reasonable priced, comfortable, close to museum, clean and Heidi the front desk manager was very helpful. Older hotel and no coffee at the motel but Stewart's has great coffee and is right down the street.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sherri b
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed here only one night, in a king room at the back. With its nice yard it had the feel of a B&B but with more privacy. It was minutes from Cooperstown village and everything was in great shape and spotlessly clean. There was a nice large flat-screen TV, a dorm-size fridge, and the bed was very comfortable. The only down sides were that the room was pretty small, there was no coffee, and the shower (no tub) had mediocre pressure, but for a short stay those were not a problem at all. I would definitely stay here again if I go to Cooperstown. Lovely motel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JBrizzi
Reviewed October 12, 2011

This was a trip planned to celebrate my travelling companion's 60th birthday. She had wanted to go to the Baseball Hall of FAme in Cooperstown.One of my jobs was to find accomodation.I decided on the Mohican after I called a few other places.The MOhican seemed to match our needs.
It was a clean,cozy room with a small fridge and enough other furniture to suit our needs for a three night stay.The fridge and clothes hanging area were in an alcove that was in the back corner.It was good to have to have the clothes hangers in the back corner and not right at the entrance which is the norm
We didn't use the air conditioner and as a result can't comment on that. It was lovely weather but we had a good cross breeze.
The owner and staff were very pleasant.
You could walk downtown to shop , eat or go to the baseball of fame
The bathroom was clean and looked as if had been updated in the past while.
The TV worked very well.
I would defnitely stay there again.

Notes: 1.There wasn't a coffee maker in the room.
2. The first night deposit had to be mailed. Couldn't use credit card over the phone to make first night deposit.

Room Tip: Note: I don't have a particular tip this time.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pnicol
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Now mind you, that's "value for money" by Cooperstown standards. Almost anywhere else, this very basic spot would seem overpriced. But if you want to stay right in town here, you'll probably not do better. Photos on website are accurate. Clean, good housekeeping, paint job and carpeting looked recent, mattress acceptable, room lighting adequate, bathroom squeaky clean and well lit, shower pressure excellent, lots of hot water. Bar frig in room, nice flatscreen TV, free Wi-Fi but oddly, no phone, and therefore no phone book. Always can make good use of a phone book when visiting a new locality.

We enjoyed Cooperstown and would probably stay at this same place in future but one should be aware of certain limitations. While certainly "in town", the Mohican is not really close enough to town center that one could do without a car. Our unit was in a two-storey building that had eight other units. On the weekend of our stay, several of these other units had been taken over for some sort of group or family gathering, and we had major noise issues. Also, my wife (who suffers with allergies) found our unit very musty. Didn't bother me at all--just like Natty Bumppo's rustic cabin, right?--but choose your room carefully, the units in the one-storey building might have been preferable on these issues.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple