“Close to Hall of Fame -- Like Being at Home”

Gateway Inn & Suites of Cooperstown
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
Reviewed October 8, 2013

George Carlin famously said that the ultimate objective of baseball was being safe at home. Well, if you're a baseball aficionado and looking for a place that feels like home, do yourself a favor and book your stay at Gateway! I was in Cooperstown for a research visit to the Nat'l Baseball Hall of Fame with a colleague. We stayed in the MVP suite: 2 large bedrooms, 2 baths, spacious living area and a humongus kitchen. All were well appointed. Gateway hits it out of the park and we enthusiastically recommend it! Thanks to Eric and Lynne -- and the folks at Gateway Inn and Suites.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul L

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband & I stayed in the Double Play room the week of August 23 while my son was playing at the DreamParks tournament. It was nice to come back and unwind after a hectic day of baseball. Loved the peace & tranquility of the inn. Eric was very helpful and gave us great advice and tips of the area. I only wished we could have stayed longer. I would go back there in a heartbeat!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mary b
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed in the Doubleday Suite and it was perfect for our family of five. It was cozy and comfortable, and the owners/host were so hospitable. We booked this place because of the great reviews on TripAdvisor, and we are glad we did! We would definitely stay here again. If there was a downside, it was the size of the bathroom, but then again, we are used to large bathrooms at home, and we are the type of family that usually has more than one person in there at a time (one in the shower, one brushing teeth, you get the picture...). That was not possible in this bathroom, but that was OK. It was great to have a coffee pot, microwave and good-size refrigerator. It really helped with feeding the kids breakfast. My kids loved the separate living room for playing cards and watching TV while our little one slept. We could only get spotty cell phone service (trac-phone), but it was nice to be out in the country!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank snpkelley
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely perfect! Eric was such a fantastic host. The Commissioner's Suite was clean, spacious, well stocked and absolutely gorgeous. There was a grill as well. The only downfall was T-Mobile service was nonexistant. When I come back to Cooperstown I will stay at Gateway.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeff B
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I saw the reviews of Gateway Inn & Suites on TripAdvisor and knew it was the way to go. My dad, my boyfriend and I were visiting Cooperstown for a Baseball Film Festival for a few days. We stayed in the Commissioner Suite here and it was absolutely PERFECT. Comfortable rooms, beautiful surroundings, close drive to town, & a great value. Eric was so nice & hospitable and there's no doubt in my mind we'd return the next time we're in town!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Whitney B
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Gateway Inn and Suites is a perfect place to spend an extended period of time while visiting Cooperstown. It is located a mere 5 minutes from downtown, in a quiet country setting. The room was comfortable and very pleasant, although I must admit that the mattress did groan quite a bit...but not enough to keep my wife and I awake. I enjoyed having two rooms, which allowed my wife to do her studying while I could watch TV or use the computer. We spent our days at a leisurely pace, returning to our suite to enjoy the serenity and quietness of the country setting. Yes, we could hear our neighbors, but we didn't find it distracting. The pluses easily outweighed any negatives in my opinion. We like quaint and enjoyed the wallpaper, the carpets, and the rustic decorations throughout. We would recommend it to our friends with the above caveats, but we still feel it was a very satisfying experience.

Room Tip: The Cooper Suite is located in a separate building away from the main office, and has a wonderful si...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We chose this motel because it was rated #1 and there was no way this could be the best motel/hotel in Cooperstown. Per the reviews, the owner was very nice and very helpful, but that's where #! ended. Although the room was clean, it was very rustic and dated. The beds squeaked terribly. Every time my wife or I moved in the bed , we woke the other up. The pillow had to be the worst I ever had in a room. The walls between rooms need insulation. We could hear which shows our neighbors were watching on TV, could here there conversations and knew every time they went to the bathroom.
The only saving grace was that we were allowed to have our dog in the room with us. If you are not traveling with a dog, I suggest looking elsewhere.
Coopperstown is the home of the baseball hall of fame. All the rooms have a baseball name, but don't let that fool you - there is no baseball theme in any of the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark S
innkeeperNewYork, Owner at Gateway Inn & Suites of Cooperstown, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I know some time had elapsed between the time you placed your reservation and submitted your review, but my notes indicate that your party had wanted to stay at the elegant local four star hotel where you would be attending a wedding reception. However, due to the fact that they have no pet friendly units (nor do any of the other local Cooperstown hotels), you opted to stay at our far more economically priced rustic inn that has two pet friendly units. To the point, your decision to book at Gateway Inn and Suites had nothing to do with our tripadvisor rating but was based on your need to have your dog accommodated. And curiously, your party was the last of our guests to Check Out on Sunday (1 minute prior to the stated check out time,)

A bit of advice for you and other tripadvisor users. Their review service can be extremely valuable to travelers who want other traveler’s opinions. However, as a rating service, they are limited. If a traveler has never been to a locale before and has an experience limited to staying in one inn, are they in the position to claim an establishment is the “best” in the area, or worthy or not worthy of a number one ranking? Of course not. And, should a traveler have expectations that an inn that offers lodging for half (or less than half) of the local market rate is going to offer the same bells, whistles and frills of the inns at the higher end of the market rate? That would border on absurdity.

The reason Gateway Inn & Suites has risen to the upper end of several rating services is because we clearly articulate what our product is. We know we are not going to satisfy the guest who stands straighter and feels a couple of inches taller when they enter an expansive lobby. Nor are we going to warm to the guest who momentarily embraces an aura of royalty when they sip tea on a porch of a restored 19th Century building. However, we are flattered by many repeat customers who enjoy a scenic country location and clean, comfortable, unassuming, and reasonably priced accommodations. And, frankly those are the customers we desire – the ones who select Gateway Inn and Suites because of what we offer and not solely because we are the lowest priced or have two pet friendly units.

Briefly, like the world, travelers are a diverse body. Their desires and opinions vary. None are the better or less for it. James Comey (FBI Director), Andre Dawson (Hall of Famer), Richard Gale (Former Major League Pitcher) and many others have enjoyed comfortable stays at our inn. And, you and several others have reserved at our inn knowing that your designs of what would be a more ideal place were not what we offered.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooperstown
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
Best Western Plus Cooperstown Inn & Suites
The Otesaga Resort Hotel
The Otesaga Resort Hotel
#2 of 16 in Cooperstown

Been to Gateway Inn & Suites of Cooperstown? Share your experiences!