“Great Place for Dinner”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The food was terrific. Had rainbow trout and loved it. Pricing was fair high teens low 20s. Great bread and people were wonderful.

White table cloth type environment but casual dress. I wore shorts.

HawkeyeGrillMgmt, Manager at Hawkeye Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

bnlusa,

We appreciate your time and enthusiasm towards our restaurant. We pride ourselves on our charming little village and all it has to offer. It’s always great to hear someone who enjoys not only the food, but the people that prepare and serve it. We hope to see you back in the near future!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Hawkeye Bar and Grill offers a wide variety of foods. The service is excellent and the food is superb. It's wonderful on a summer afternoon or evening after a round of golf.

Dear Jtingle13, Thank you for the positive response and great feedback on our restaurant. We take pride in our food and our service. Please come back and try our new menu. We have kept many of our best dishes and added a few new things, which we are sure you will enjoy!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a nice lunch and also dinner at The Hawkeye Grill. A good selection, attentive service and good value. Just had to wait a bit to be seated for dinner, as we did not have a reservation.

Dear kwins0113,
Thank you very much for taking your time and writing such a positive response about your dining experience with us. I will pass the great remarks to our kitchen staff and our wait staff. The next time you are in the area, please try our online reservation system. (seat me) It’s located on our Otesaga website and is very easy to use. Again, we appreciate the kind words and look forward to you dining in the near future.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

With a gluten sensitive family member, its hard to find restaurants on vacation that accommodate people who cant eat wheat products. The Hawkeye has exceptional food for all, and I highly recommend this place located in the beautiful Otesaga Hotel.

HawkeyeGrillMgmt, Manager at Hawkeye Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear raymic,
We thank you for taking the time and writing such a great review. It’s our goal, not only to please our customers, but to exceed their expectations. The chef takes pride in trying to accommodate all our guests and any special needs they may have. We appreciate your glowing recommendation and hope you decide to come back and dine with us again in the near future.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Where do I start? I've wanted to have dinner in the Hawkeye for quite some time. My son's birthday is Monday, so we thought it would be a great time to have dinner here to celebrate. Our table was in an awful spot. We were seated just outside the busy kitchen door near the cash register and near the place where they stack all of the dirty dishes. It is not very appetizing to try and eat your meal while having a BIG messy pile of dirty dishes and uneaten food staring you in the face and having people (waitstaff) scurrying all around us nonstop. Can't that area have a screen or something to block the terrible view from our table? We order our meals and then wait. After a while our salads come out. My youngest son and I got salads swimming in dressing. Perhaps put the salad dressing on the side? I like blue cheese, but how about some salad to go with my dressing? We waited well over a half an hour after eating our salads for our main course to arrive. We had to ask out waitress for more water and she never asked me if I wanted another glass of wine or asked my son if he would like another beer. Hooray!! Our meals finally arrive. Nice presentation is about all I can say about our meals. I ordered cioppino WITH grilled sourdough bread (nice touch). I got the ciopinno, but no bread. It happens. No big deal. I mention it to the waitress and she brings me some very charred bread. I dip it into the cioppino sauce and took a bite. The bread was mealy tasting and awful. I called the waitress over again and told her that this bread was not sourdough. I showed her the roll in the bread basket and told her that this is sour dough. She comes back with another plate of very darkly grilled slices of bread and told me that it was sour dough. I dipped the bread again and did not think that was sourdough either. Why don't you take the sour dough rolls you put in the bread basket and grill those? That is what goes with cioppino. The seafood in the cioppino was overcooked and rubbery. There is nothing worse than overcooked seafood! I did not eat very much and was hungry when I left. My birthday boy ordered the lobster risotto. He said it was OK, but found several large pieces of lobster shell in his risotto. He was not happy. I am not sure about my daughter in law's meal because she never complains. She got the half chicken. My youngest son ordered the pork chop. His meal was cold and he was not pleased either. He got mashed potatoes instead of the sweet potato fries. He did not eat much of them because he said they were kind of gummy and cold. We know that pork chops are supposed to be a little pink inside, but we all thought it looked too pink. We were so disappointed in our meals, especially after looking forward to this dinner all day. Poor seating, a bad waitress (she was very nice, but not the best waitress skills) and cold average food was not what I had in mind to be together as a family to celebrate my son's birthday. The kicker....a couple came in after we had eaten our salad. They ordered, got their salads and meals right away and left before we were offered dessert. Sorry, I won't be recommending this restaurant to any of my friends.