“Nice Lunch Spot”

Hawkeye Bar & Grill
Ranked #9 of 60 Restaurants in Cooperstown
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Peekskill, NY
“Nice Lunch Spot”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a nice lunch and also dinner at The Hawkeye Grill. A good selection, attentive service and good value. Just had to wait a bit to be seated for dinner, as we did not have a reservation.

• Visited May 2013
HawkeyeGrillMgmt, Manager at Hawkeye Bar & Grill, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear kwins0113,
Thank you very much for taking your time and writing such a positive response about your dining experience with us. I will pass the great remarks to our kitchen staff and our wait staff. The next time you are in the area, please try our online reservation system. (seat me) It’s located on our Otesaga website and is very easy to use. Again, we appreciate the kind words and look forward to you dining in the near future.

NYC
“Great Gluten Free Restaurant”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

With a gluten sensitive family member, its hard to find restaurants on vacation that accommodate people who cant eat wheat products. The Hawkeye has exceptional food for all, and I highly recommend this place located in the beautiful Otesaga Hotel.

• Visited September 2013
HawkeyeGrillMgmt, Manager at Hawkeye Bar & Grill, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear raymic,
We thank you for taking the time and writing such a great review. It’s our goal, not only to please our customers, but to exceed their expectations. The chef takes pride in trying to accommodate all our guests and any special needs they may have. We appreciate your glowing recommendation and hope you decide to come back and dine with us again in the near future.
Oneonta
“So disappointing...................”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Where do I start? I've wanted to have dinner in the Hawkeye for quite some time. My son's birthday is Monday, so we thought it would be a great time to have dinner here to celebrate. Our table was in an awful spot. We were seated just outside the busy kitchen door near the cash register and near the place where they stack all of the dirty dishes. It is not very appetizing to try and eat your meal while having a BIG messy pile of dirty dishes and uneaten food staring you in the face and having people (waitstaff) scurrying all around us nonstop. Can't that area have a screen or something to block the terrible view from our table? We order our meals and then wait. After a while our salads come out. My youngest son and I got salads swimming in dressing. Perhaps put the salad dressing on the side? I like blue cheese, but how about some salad to go with my dressing? We waited well over a half an hour after eating our salads for our main course to arrive. We had to ask out waitress for more water and she never asked me if I wanted another glass of wine or asked my son if he would like another beer. Hooray!! Our meals finally arrive. Nice presentation is about all I can say about our meals. I ordered cioppino WITH grilled sourdough bread (nice touch). I got the ciopinno, but no bread. It happens. No big deal. I mention it to the waitress and she brings me some very charred bread. I dip it into the cioppino sauce and took a bite. The bread was mealy tasting and awful. I called the waitress over again and told her that this bread was not sourdough. I showed her the roll in the bread basket and told her that this is sour dough. She comes back with another plate of very darkly grilled slices of bread and told me that it was sour dough. I dipped the bread again and did not think that was sourdough either. Why don't you take the sour dough rolls you put in the bread basket and grill those? That is what goes with cioppino. The seafood in the cioppino was overcooked and rubbery. There is nothing worse than overcooked seafood! I did not eat very much and was hungry when I left. My birthday boy ordered the lobster risotto. He said it was OK, but found several large pieces of lobster shell in his risotto. He was not happy. I am not sure about my daughter in law's meal because she never complains. She got the half chicken. My youngest son ordered the pork chop. His meal was cold and he was not pleased either. He got mashed potatoes instead of the sweet potato fries. He did not eat much of them because he said they were kind of gummy and cold. We know that pork chops are supposed to be a little pink inside, but we all thought it looked too pink. We were so disappointed in our meals, especially after looking forward to this dinner all day. Poor seating, a bad waitress (she was very nice, but not the best waitress skills) and cold average food was not what I had in mind to be together as a family to celebrate my son's birthday. The kicker....a couple came in after we had eaten our salad. They ordered, got their salads and meals right away and left before we were offered dessert. Sorry, I won't be recommending this restaurant to any of my friends.

• Visited October 2013
Rochester, New York
“A bit surprised”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have been eager to visit this restaurant for some time so was pleased to have the opportunity. The last time I was in Cooperstown my schedule was tight and the wait was said to me more than I could allow. Consequently I was very pleased to have the chance to visit on a beautiful and sunny fall day when a table was immediately available. I requested a table outside and was quickly shown to a wonderful spot. I was a bit concerned when two gentlemen who were seated a while after me were able to place their drink order well before anyone stopped by my table. I was more upset when they received their first course before anyone stopped by my table. Eventually I was able to order, but then sat and waited a terribly long time and found my neighbors departing after a soup and main course before my meal was brought to me. I had ordered a shrimp and crab salad sandwich that while decent, was also somewhat disappointing. The shrimp, being whole, were difficult to keep between the sourdough bread. Fortunately they were very tasty and worth the effort. The crab, however, was almost non-existent. I would guess there was enough to allow it to be mentioned on the menu, but it certainly didn't make up more than about 5% of the "Shrimp & Crab Salad." The side of french fries was stone cold. This was not surprising since my meal took so long in being delivered. While I was eager to visit this rather well known establishment I won't be eager to return. The setting is wonderful, the lodge is beautiful, the adjacent pool is most attractive... but my visit to this restaurant was a surprise, and not a positive one.

• Visited October 2013
New York City, New York
“Worth it if you can sit on the outside deck.”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The food here is decent. We ate 2 meals here, a late lunch (which they call quick bites) and dinner. Lunch is definitely the better option. It was a nice day and we sat outside, We had a beautiful view overlooking the lake, In September, it was dark by dinner time. so we sat inside. That was perfectly pleasant, but nowhere as nice as sitting outdoors. The food was okay and the service was very nice.

Visited September 2013