“Capital B for Breakfast”

Rose & Thistle Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 29 Cooperstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 16, 2009

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at the Rose and Thistle. As this was our first time staying at a B&B there was a little apprehension. That quickly dissapated. Patti and Steve are veterans and true professionals in the hospitality business. The room, as well as the house, were spotless with extra touches. Their local knowledge also was extensive and valuable. The Breakfast, was more than you could ever want and better than most restaurants. The man can cook! I wouldn't hesitate to return and recommend it to anyone making the pilgrimage to the Hall.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 23, 2009

My boyfriend and I had a lovely stay at the Rose and Thistle Bed and Breakfast this past weekend. Patti and Steve were very kind and friendly. The bed was verrrrrry comfortable and we enjoyed a relaxing stay. In the morning Patti cooked an amazing homemade breakfast...bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, homemade apple tart, and much more. Overall, we had a great time at the Rose and Thistle.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2009

We have been to several B&B across the NE states. The Rose and Thistle was one of the best. Patti and Steve and great proprietors and very friendly. They certainly made us feel at home right away. Our room was a bit small but we were only there to sleep. It was Valentine's weekend and she had a full house, however, everything was well organized and run smoothly. Steve filled us in on all the restaurants and activities in the area as soon as we arrived. I liked the idea of paying up front so at the end of our stay, we just said 'goob-bye'. We'd definitely go back again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tilney51
Reviewed September 16, 2008

This was our first experience with a B&B so we really have nothing to compare it with. However, our hosts Steve and Patti made us feel very welcome and the place was very clean and comfortable. We were given keys to the front door and our room upon arriving (though we never felt we needed to lock our room) and since there were no other guest sat the time we felt like we were in our own house. Our room was small by hotel standards but very nicely appointed and the bed was excellent.

On Steve's advice we left the car and walked to the HOF. The weather was perfect and it is less than a mile. However, when after 21/2 hours in the museum, we walked to the Fenimore Art Museum we were a bit tired. Facing another 13/4 uphill mile walk back to the B&B we skipped the Farmer's Museum and wished we had taken the car.

Steve, a former NYC restauranteur, cooked an excellent breakfast and obviously enjoys being creative. Unfortunately, we decided that we needed to leave early on the second day as we had an 8 hour drive and were at the end of a two week trip. Breakfast is at 8:30 sharp and while I suppose this is a standard feature of B&Bs we are used to playing it by ear, even at home.

We picked the Rose and Thistle based on TA reviews and were not disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 11, 2008

My wife and I stayed here along with my parents in late June 2007. The Rose & Thistle is well maintained on the outside and spotless on the inside. It has wireless internet access and a nice living room/den area with a large TV so you can relax and watch a movie, play a board game, or just hang out and chat. Patti & Steve are the ultimate hosts and are very sociable. Breakfast consisted of several courses and the food was outstanding! I wish I could say the same for the rest of the food in downtown Cooperstown because it's not very good. Too bad Patti & Steve don't do dinner because we'd eat all of our meals there! We highly recommend this place not only because of its appearance, great hospitailty and food, but it's close to the center of town.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed June 28, 2008

Firstly, I can only reiterate the comments made by previous visitors. What a treasure. This pink palace is immaculately kept and an extremely warm and friendly place to stay.

Like most, we visited Cooperstown for the Hall of Fame but were as equally impressed by this lovely B&B. We were guided to the best spots in town by Patti and Steve, and were treated to an excellent breakfast the next morning.

As B&B's go, this one rates very highly. Comfort, home-cookin', and a smile to welcome you. Everything is included in your bathroom which was appreciated after being on a train for a couple of nights.

An entertaining time for us, and my wife and I thoroughly recommend a stay when passing through Cooperstown.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 25, 2008

To get away for New Year's weekend, we decide to spend it in Cooperstown. Yes, Cooperstown in the winter. Expedia didn't seem to mention when an accommodation was closed for the season, so just to be safe, I called ahead to the Rose & Thistle to make sure they were open. Patti answered and said they'd be glad to have us. I asked her a few questions about the rooms, and she helped me select a nice one...Nikki's room. (The photos on the web have since been updated)

Upon arrival, we were greeted by Steve and Patti who gave us the lay of the land. They suggested that we go to the HOF that afternoon (it was already close to 3pm) since our tickets would be good for the next day. They told us which restaurant would be open and which ones they liked.

As everyone else has stated, breakfasts were delicious. Tea and cookies were available throughout the day and there were treats in our room as well.

On New Year's Eve, waiting for us in our room after a day of touring was a small bottle of bubbly. That was totally unexpected and very thoughtful.

It felt like a weekend visiting friends. Both Patti and Steve were ex-NYCers and it was a great to hear how they got started in the B&B biz.

FYI the hotel isn't walking distance to the HOF or to the downtown area. But I'm sure on a summer day it would make a nice bike ride.

BTW It was snowing pretty hard when we left on New Year's Day. Steve told us the best route to take home and Patti asked that we call when we get back home. They truly care for their guests!

I can't imagine how busy that town gets during the season, but I highly recommend R&T anytime of the year.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple